Atmos In-Ceiling TTPs

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Just installed four JBL Arena 61C in-ceiling speakers for .4 duty in a 5.2.4 system.
Below are some TTPs (tactics, techniques and procedures) I learned from the project. Pics as well.

1) Measure and diagram the room/speaker locations (e.g. Google Slides)
a) If able, scout your design in the attic.
b) Adjust design for joist and ceiling board seam locations.

2) Run design by this forum for feedback. (See separate thread)

3) Install a small 1.5" finishing nail through the ceiling at the center of each speaker location (Pic 1)
a) Use these nails to verify complete design before drawing/cutting (i.e. last look)
b) Nails also help anchor cardboard cutout while tracing the pattern (avoid side slips)

4) Use a handheld power screw driver with 2" extender on a very low torque setting to turn/tighten install brackets.
- I used setting of 4 out of 22 on Craftsman drill.

5) Magnetic covers are "the only way to fly", so easy, so nice.

Pics: Trace with nail, Cutout hole, Speaker no cover, Speaker with cover.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Looking great Xeagle. Those heights sure add alot to movies. I’m happy with my Canton heights I put up a couple of weeks ago. Enjoy! Oh and take off the covers they look great!

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
UPDATES:
1) Replaced original build's 16 AWG 4-conductor in-wall wire with 14 AWG 4-conductor in-wall wire (from Monoprice).
- Original 16 AWG front speakers' wire was too short to reach the front ATMOS locations. I did not have too, but replaced the rear wire for symmetry and to change the wiring layout as follows:
- I used one 4-conductor speaker wire for the Front/Rear LEFT speakers and the other wire for the Front/Rear RIGHT speakers; vice the original build, and more traditional approach, of one 4-conductor wire to both Front speakers (L/R) and another 4-conductor wire to both Rear speakers (L/R).
-- The advantage of the way I chose is avoiding longer L-shaped wire runs.
-- Since all wires terminate at one Wall Plate this arrangement is transparent to the "user" connecting into the system.

2) Installed 1/2" OSB particle board over each speaker to help deaden the sound transmission into the attic and protect the speakers from damage in any future attic projects.
- Both ends of the OSB "enclosure" remain open to the attic, but are stuffed with insulation.
- This did significantly reduce sound transmission in the attic.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis