Atmos In-Ceiling Speaker - Sanity Check

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Atmos install saga now "THE GOOD, THE BAD and THE UGLY"

THE GOOD: Figured out how to place rear Atmos outside of the ceiling tray (e.g. outmost 2 ft.), see below.
- Hooked up the JBL Arena 61Cs for a free air SQ test and really liked the sound!
- Did have to move the Front Left Atmos one foot wider to avoid a ceiling board seam in the tray.

XEagleDriver
I think that is a hell of a lot better location for the Atmos. Yes, painful to remodel. ;):D

OH, you forgot the music to that title: :D

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Builder placed L/R speaker wire junction boxes 6 feet high on front and back walls.
- Too low for a clean height speaker install
- Too high for a clean surround install.

I plan on having painter patch and cover unless someone can give a good reason not too.

Thanks,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

O

OriginalCin

Audiophyte
Builder placed L/R speaker wire junction boxes 6 feet high on front and back walls.
- Too low for a clean height speaker install
- Too high for a clean surround install.

I plan on having painter patch and cover unless someone can give a good reason not too.

Thanks,
XEagleDriver

I’d get some paintable grommets and simply keep any existing wiring inside the wall but covered up. The painter can paint the grommets the same color as the wall. It’s a subtle but helpful detail that will be appreciated by future buyers of your home.

O

OriginalCin

Audiophyte
Atmos install saga now "THE GOOD, THE BAD and THE UGLY"

THE GOOD: Figured out how to place rear Atmos outside of the ceiling tray (e.g. outmost 2 ft.), see below.
- Hooked up the JBL Arena 61Cs for a free air SQ test and really liked the sound!
- Did have to move the Front Left Atmos one foot wider to avoid a ceiling board seam in the tray.

View attachment 41079

THE BAD: Original builder prewired rear wall with 16 gauge wire; not terrible, but not great.
- Replacing and rerouting with 14 gauge from wall plate to Atmos speakers.
- Using existing 16 gauge as "fishing line".

THE UGLY: Had an Oops, shouldn't be too hard to fix since we know a real good painter.
- After much anger and swearing, the lemonade plan is to paint ceiling and whole room.
- Nix the builder's blah neutral color for a darker, more theater appropriate color.

View attachment 41080

XEagleDriver
I’m about ready to tackle many of the same issues in my small theatre. I’m adding four Atmos speakers to my existing 7.2 setup, but it’s proving challenging to find suitable placements for them. I’m also hamstrung by a tray ceiling, but could possibly install them directly into the tray. My concern with that is keeping the in-wall sound from echoing around the entire room via the hollow tray.

What software did you use to draw your room?

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
I’m about ready to tackle many of the same issues in my small theatre. I’m adding four Atmos speakers to my existing 7.2 setup, but it’s proving challenging to find suitable placements for them. I’m also hamstrung by a tray ceiling, but could possibly install them directly into the tray. My concern with that is keeping the in-wall sound from echoing around the entire room via the hollow tray.

What software did you use to draw your room?
Google Slides since it is free.
I used the edge measuring scales and vertical/horizontal guides to get as close to proper scale on the drawing as possible.

IMC the edge tray and center ceiling are both open to the attic. I placed 1/2" OSB particle wood board over each speaker on top of the joists. Ends are not sealed, but stuffed with insulation; this reduced sound transmission in attic considerably.

You may want to take a look at my Atmos Ceiling Install TTP thread for other things I learned

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Last edited:
XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
I’d get some paintable grommets and simply keep any existing wiring inside the wall but covered up. The painter can paint the grommets the same color as the wall. It’s a subtle but helpful detail that will be appreciated by future buyers of your home.
Thanks, I ended up converting the rear two into art deco lighting sconces and had the painter fill in/ paint the front two.

EDIT: Added pic of new sconce lights.

Last edited:
XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Thanks to all FM's who helped guide this project, the SQ is fantastic.
- Last night we streamed the newer Thomas Crown Affair in 5.1 audio and used AVR's DDD+ DSurr to add the four Atmos speakers into the mix. We are very familiar with the movie, but it has never sounded so good, panning left to right and front to back, separation of music from dialogue.

Pics below show finished decor on Right and Back walls.
Merry Christmas, and to all, a happy movie night!
XEagleDriver

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis