Atmos and absorption

T

tparm

Audioholic
Hi room acoustics experts.... As I layout my room in my home I began doing theoretical calculations for reflection points, bass traps, diffusion and so on. Then I began to think that much of my research on room treatments is pre-Atmos. How does Atmos change the tried and true "front corner bass traps, all first reflections need adsorption, rear wall needs diffusion" theory? My room will be 31L(plus alcove)x15.5Wx9H, is closed off to other rooms, has a bar at the back and stand alone table/chairs. There will already be heavy curtains at the side wall first reflection points and an area rug on a concrete floor at that first reflection point. I intend to treat the ceiling to absorb first reflection too. Perhaps second as well. Please don't pay attention to speaker/sub placement in the attached image.

My system will be 5.2.4 using ceiling speakers and MLP is just under 12' from the center and LR speakers, about 14' from front wall.

Most of what I see looks like people get crazy carried away with sound absorption, I don't want an anechoic chamber or my room to feel like a morque and with point-source imaging of Atmos using reflection to create the sense of space maybe the smart thing to do is err towards less? Even less diffusion?

Thoughts or experiences?

Thanks.

Attachments

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi room acoustics experts.... As I layout my room in my home I began doing theoretical calculations for reflection points, bass traps, diffusion and so on. Then I began to think that much of my research on room treatments is pre-Atmos. How does Atmos change the tried and true "front corner bass traps, all first reflections need adsorption, rear wall needs diffusion" theory? My room will be 31L(plus alcove)x15.5Wx9H, is closed off to other rooms, has a bar at the back and stand alone table/chairs. There will already be heavy curtains at the side wall first reflection points and an area rug on a concrete floor at that first reflection point. I intend to treat the ceiling to absorb first reflection too. Perhaps second as well. Please don't pay attention to speaker/sub placement in the attached image.

My system will be 5.2.4 using ceiling speakers and MLP is just under 12' from the center and LR speakers, about 14' from front wall.

Most of what I see looks like people get crazy carried away with sound absorption, I don't want an anechoic chamber or my room to feel like a morque and with point-source imaging of Atmos using reflection to create the sense of space maybe the smart thing to do is err towards less? Even less diffusion?

Thoughts or experiences?

Thanks.
Unless you measure the room in some way, it's moot. There are room calculators that can help determine, I'd prefer the minamal investment in measurement gear.

T

tparm

Audioholic
Unless you measure the room in some way, it's moot. There are room calculators that can help determine, I'd prefer the minimal investment in measurement gear.
Ah, I do have REW/Umik-1 and will use Dirac for final calibration. I'm about 10 months from construction completion, planning ahead a bit.... :) I haven't found a room calculator, or know how to physically measure a room, to accommodate Atmos.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis