AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Since I got all you amp experts out there, let me know if these specs are any decent. So far this is my next move if it gets the AH stamp of approval, or can I do better?

General Information

• Output Stage: 21000 w
• Output Devices: 84 Motorola 250 watt HI-Speed
• Output Power (All Ratings): 20-20KHz @ <.10% Distortion, (Typically .009%)
• Multi-channel Mode/perCH: 490w - 8 ohm, 820w - 4 ohm, 1280w – 2 ohm
• Mono Mode/per CH: 1640w – 8 ohm/bridged, 2560w – 4 ohm/Bridged
• Dynamic Headroom: 3.50dB (4 or 8 ohm) Over 900w Peaks
• Signal/Noise Ratio: > -130dB Unweighted (Ref-Rated Power)
• Damping Factor: > 1,100 @ 20Hz, > 1,000 @ 1 KHz
• Power Supply Energy Rating: > 1,300 Joules
• Intermodulation Distortion: Less Than .03% (Rated Output)
• TIM Distortion: Less Than .01% (Rated Output)
• Frequency Response: ±.1dB 20-20kHz, +0,-3dB 3-175KHz (10w)
• Channel Balance: Within .1dB Between any Two Channels
• Channel Separation: > 85 dB, Risetime: > 70v/ms
• Peak Current: 135 amps/Channel (.5 ohm, 10m/s, 1 Pulse)
• Input Sensitivity: 2v @ Rated Output (Selectable 1v, 1.5v, 2v)
• Input Impedance: Balanced-15K ohm, Unbalanced-30K ohm
• Operating Voltage: 100-120/220-240vac 50/60 Hz (Factory Wired)
• Power Consumption: Nominal - 2,700w, Test conditions - 5,550w
• Dimensions: 19.0” W x 8.75” H x 15.5” D
• Recommended A/C Service: 20/30amp@ 100-120vac, 20amp@ 220-240vac
• Weight: 76lbs
Specs look great to me.

Not sure if it is an improvement over your current amps in terms of SQ, though.

What is it and how much is it?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Got a question for you guys

When I play classical music that has really low volume passages, the cheap AudioSource amp would cut in and out. But it never does this at moderate - high volumes. It never does this cut-in-out with pop/rock music, just the softer quieter instrumental music.:eek:

Why is this?

I guess this is why we buy more expensive high quality amps, instead of cheap amps. :D

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Got a question for you guys

When I play classical music that has really low volume passages, the cheap AudioSource amp would cut in and out. But it never does this at moderate - high volumes. It never does this cut-in-out with pop/rock music, just the softer quieter instrumental music.:eek:

Why is this?
This sounds like a signal-dependent power switch, like many sub's plate amps have. Does the AudioSource have such a feature?

Tangential but not OT question for you and CPP...do either of you fellas happen to know how much the AT 1202 goes for by any chance?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Oh, there may be some minor tweaking with different brands. I did not ask them that question.
I think you're making presumptions. The Lexicon versions, for example, use different power supplies. The higher power version uses dual power cords and requires two separate 15 amp circuits.

I wouldn't assume anything about the amps assembled by ATI. Something a non-expert considers as trivial as precise matching of the output transistors can have a significant impact on performance. I know a lot of people think electronics have become a commodity of sorts, especially amplifiers, but it isn't necessarily the case.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Regarding the price of some of their amps.

As of yesterday since I have to keep up with ADTG on amps, ATI has a few B-stock. But I was only looking at another 1800 series.

"For the 1800 series we have AT1805 and AT1807 available in "B" stock.
These have some small cosmetic flaws but are electrically perfect..
Price for the AT1805 $1095.00 The AT1807 is $1395.00 plus freight and
CA tax if applicable. They are available in rack mount or standard
chassis and carry our full 7 year warranty.""

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Classical Music issues:

source of the music ?

Classical music can reveal the sonic limitations of lossy compression, particularly ones digitized from analog originals. Have you tried a difference source.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This sounds like a signal-dependent power switch, like many sub's plate amps have. Does the AudioSource have such a feature?

Tangential but not OT question for you and CPP...do either of you fellas happen to know how much the AT 1202 goes for by any chance?
AT1202 is $600 on Classic Audio Parts w/ 7 yr ATI warranty.

Amplifiers

AudioSource amp does have auto-power (auto & trigger). But this happens even in manual mode. Would it still happen even in manual mode?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Classical Music issues:

source of the music ?

Classical music can reveal the sonic limitations of lossy compression, particularly ones digitized from analog originals. Have you tried a difference source.
Possible. But this never happens with plain Denon AVR or ATI amps. Only happens with AudioSource amp.

You mean AudioSource amp can't play lossy compression?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Regarding the price of some of their amps.

As of yesterday since I have to keep up with ADTG on amps, ATI has a few B-stock. But I was only looking at another 1800 series.

"For the 1800 series we have AT1805 and AT1807 available in "B" stock.
These have some small cosmetic flaws but are electrically perfect..
Price for the AT1805 $1095.00 The AT1807 is $1395.00 plus freight and
CA tax if applicable. They are available in rack mount or standard
chassis and carry our full 7 year warranty.""
I think AT1805 for $1095 is great deal. I bet this amp can do 200wpc 8ohm 1%THD 20Hz-20kHz no sweat.

Denon 4311 ($1300) + AT1805 ($1100) = $2400 = awesomeness. :D

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
You mean AudioSource amp can't play lossy compression?
No, what cpp suggested would result in loss of low level info regardless, coming from the source. Since it works on Denon/ATI, it appears that's not the case.

That's two low hanging fruit which are not the cause of the cutout you're getting. (edit: unless the trigger is active in manual mode, still could be the problem. ??) Hmm.

Thanks for the price link.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Well guys, interestingly it was somehow related to the RCA L/R input on the amp.

This amp has 2 line inputs labeled "Line 1" and "Line 2". Damn old amp.:eek:

So I changed to Line#2. Now it works flawlessly with all music and even low volumes.:D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
just trash it and get a 2 chl ATI, you know ya wanta

The 1800 I have right now is a 1802. Having a 1805 or seven would make the WAF big with her GE's. The way I see this, if I can keep the WAF in the high 'at-a boy' range
the Phil2's would be getting closer to my upstairs room:eek:

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
just trash it and get a 2 chl ATI, you know ya wanta

The 1800 I have right now is a 1802. Having a 1805 or seven would make the WAF big with her GE's. The way I see this, if I can keep the WAF in the high 'at-a boy' range
the Phil2's would be getting closer to my upstairs room:eek:
So........you are thinking of getting an AT1805?:D

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
So........you are thinking of getting an AT1805?
I'm going to call Jeff at ATI next week I never asked about if they had any of the 2000 series B stocks on hand.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm going to call Jeff at ATI next week I never asked about if they had any of the 2000 series B stocks on hand.
So addictive, isn't it? :D

Just love those ATI amps.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I continue to be impressed by the AT3000. If I could make just one change... handles in the rear. Lugging around a hundred pounds or so of amp around is best done with handles front and rear.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
So addictive, isn't it? :D

I know you love those ATI amps as I love my Cinepro, but these Custom Built Amps - AB Systems Cinema Series Amplifiers | AVForums.com - UK Online - Page 15 got me thinking. Just scroll down on page for pricing and pictures. It's page 15 but you can start at page one if it interests you. Since you like everything custom build I thought it might catch you eye. I am still a Cinepro man and always will be, I think. On pricing Bob will work with you.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I continue to be impressed by the AT3000. If I could make just one change... handles in the rear. Lugging around a hundred pounds or so of amp around is best done with handles front and rear.
Agree. Handles in both front and rear (or at least the option since some racks might not fit) would be perfect. :D

They say the AT2004 is 88lbs.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Agree. Handles in both front and rear (or at least the option since some racks might not fit) would be perfect. :D

They say the AT2004 is 88lbs.
Im running a parasound 1206, about 80lbs, handles in front and rear. I had to lug that beast upstairs, I don't know that I could have done it without both sets of handles without damaging it. Otherwise, maybe a boom and pulley would have been the way to get it up there :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I know you love those ATI amps as I love my Cinepro, but these Custom Built Amps - AB Systems Cinema Series Amplifiers | AVForums.com - UK Online - Page 15 got me thinking. Just scroll down on page for pricing and pictures. It's page 15 but you can start at page one if it interests you. Since you like everything custom build I thought it might catch you eye. I am still a Cinepro man and always will be, I think. On pricing Bob will work with you.
Seems overpriced. And are there any 3rd party measurements like Stereophile, Soundstage, HTM, etc?

I say stick with your Cinepro. :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis