R

RBGOBLUE

Audioholic Intern
Just want too know If you make a huge difference I have ATI 2007 and the ati 1202 amps In the marantz's 8802 a processor. To run my system 7.2.4 All Goldenear Triton ones up front, xxl center xxl subs .plus sides and backs. I run my fronts through the multi channel amp. Thinking of getting the 4002 ati Signature amp to run my goldenear Triton ones. For 2 channel . Would it be a big difference or just wasting money?

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
The Triton Ones are quite sensitive, so any of these amps are unlikely to be driven to beyond about 20 watts, so unless you have a huge room and like to listen at high volume levels, power differences are unlikely to be important. All of the ATI amps have excellent performance at 1 watt and below too, so IMO you are very unlikely to hear any differences at all. I think you'd be wasting your money.

R

RBGOBLUE

Audioholic Intern
Thank you that's what i was thinking .. Both amps have the same power they're just different amps, People were telling me the run a 2 channel amp for my fronts, It sounds amazing now I don't think it would sound any better either.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Just want too know If you make a huge difference I have ATI 2007 and the ati 1202 amps In the marantz's 8802 a processor. To run my system 7.2.4 All Goldenear Triton ones up front, xxl center xxl subs .plus sides and backs. I run my fronts through the multi channel amp. Thinking of getting the 4002 ati Signature amp to run my goldenear Triton ones. For 2 channel . Would it be a big difference or just wasting money?
Waste...get the lower priced amp.

Congrats...very nice system...the GE T1 is a nice speaker.

R

RBGOBLUE

Audioholic Intern
Ati 2007 is so good , I didn't think if I got a 2 channel ati to run my fronts would make a 3000 dollar difference thank you ... NINJA..

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
So 2 channel will sound better than Multi channel amp
In a word...no.

I'm not the most knowledgeable in here...most of my posts are from experience. It wasn't my demo, but I sat in on a blind A/B demo with a Parasound A31 (3 ch) and the A21 (2 ch)...the perspective buyer couldn't tell which amp was playing and neither could I. I had just recently purchased my Outlaw monoblocks...I came in for the Marantz pre/pros so I was just killing time waiting for the sales guy to free up.

C

clp

Audiophyte
I am also a fan of ATI - have the older (and discontinued) 1202 as well as the newer AT543NC (based on the Hypex Ncore design with an ATI input stage and linear power supply), so 5 channels altogether. There is no audible difference at equivalent powers, as you would expect. The Ncores have significantly higher peak powers than the 1202 (about 6 dB worth) and if you really push them you can tell. So, the new design offers more power, less weight (but still heavy) and runs a bit cooler. If these attributes are important then consider it.
The 4002 is also very good, a state-of-the-art A/B design, but my local dealer says the Ncore design is taking over, especially for home theater.

Minor point: The classic design 1202 has a slightly less turn on thump as compared to the NCore (tested on same speakers). So, the DC offfset is very slightly less, but not a practical concern.

Bottom line: there may be several valid reasons for replacing your ATI amplifiers, but sound quality isn't one of them.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis