Athena Technologies AS-B1 bookshelf speaker system.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
As some of you may know already I am king of finding good deals, some that are to good to be true yet strangely they are true.:D

The Story

I was at EZpawn pawnbrokers in Logansport, IN. Because Logansport is so small, the population is less than 25,000, they had never heard of Athena Technologies. I saw these speakers on a bottom shelf with nothing sitting next to them, this was a good sign they had recently been added and less likely chance of damage due to stupid people that drop stuff and drag one object over another.

I ended up getting the speakers for the low price of $34.99 + tax. I new that I would be able to sell them for more than that, and I will sell them for more than that.

Construction

Each speaker uses a Injection Molded Polypropylene 5.5" mid-bass and a 1" soft dome Teteron tweeter. The cabinets are 1/2" MDF and they are insulated. They are also magnetically shielded, unlike my NHT 1.5s.:rolleyes:
They don't have internal bracing, but they did well in the knuckle wrap test.

They are finished in black lacquer laminate and have very nice look. The speaker grills look nice, but they are braced plastic so these speakers would likely sound their best without the grills on them.

The Sound

I have on hand for comparison a pair of NHT 1.5s and a Pair of Infinity Interlude 10s. All of these speakers have 1" tweeters, but the NHTs and Infinitys both have 6.5" mid-bass. So comparing the bass isn't fair for this review.

The Athenas are very straight foward and they have very good imaging. The midrange is a bit thin and the highs are just a tad over expressed for my listening preferance. The highs are not harsh however, though I didn't expect them to be with the soft domes. The bass is tight and well defined for a speaker this size, it doesn't match the other two speakers of coarse.

Comparison

The Athenas sound nothing like the Infinitys. The Infinitys are warmer in the midrange and have a tendacy to be harsh on higher notes. The Infinitys are also touchy about the walls and they can be very boomy if placed incorrectly.
The Athenas are more in line with the NHTs. The sound very similar, but the NHTs go lower and have a more even responce. The Athenas have a better center stage, but don't have the some soundstage width as the NHTs. And lastly the Athenas are more efficient by about 3-4 dB.

Conclusion

The Athena AS-B1s are a very good speakers system for a beginner because they are flexible and best of all less expensive than comparitive sounding speakers. They are certainly a bargain for the $150 per pair price range.

Last edited by a moderator:
billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Seth I have to agree with most of what you said:D . The Athena speakers are much better then just a beginner speakers, those set ups are usally reserved for HTIB consumers. I've had my Athena's for 3 years and totally happy with them, BUT there comes a time where a upgrade is needed!! So come early spring I'll be looking at a significant upgrade in the front sound stage but will still use the Athena's in the surround and back sound field.

supervij

supervij

Audioholic General
I'm amazed at the price you found those B1s for! $35 plus tax is a real find. I paid $200 plus tax (Canadian dollars) for my B2s!

Nice review too. I always like to read reviews on stuff (or similar stuff) that I have, just to know how it stacks up against other stuff. I'm looking forward to reading about your next great deal!

cheers,
supervij

no. 5

no. 5

Audioholic Field Marshall
seth,
man, you find the best deals! :cool:

oh, and good review too. I agree with the whole, "The midrange is a bit thin and the highs are just a tad over expressed..." thing, I had a simaler impression of the Athena's I have lestined to.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
no. 5 said:
seth,
man, you find the best deals! :cool:

oh, and good review too. I agree with the whole, "The midrange is a bit thin and the highs are just a tad over expressed..." thing, I had a simaler impression of the Athena's I have lestined to.
I am glad I did this review. I could only find one professional review on these speakers. All the other reviews fall more in line with "THESE SPEKAERS R' AWESOME!!!"

I felt that this review would be more helpful for those looking to purchase the B1 or B1.2 speaker system. Anything beats a vague review from some guy that only listens to rap.:D

Oh, I almost forgot. I just picked up a 6 speaker HSU Ventruloquist System today for $50.:D
I didn't intend to keep it because I don't have a surround receiver anymore, but I did make a small profit on it. I probably should have sold it here. Could someone tell me how I would do that, sell stuff here? I know I could make better money off stuff if I sold it on Audioholics.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Sweet review G! I know some peoples with these speakers, and they seem very happy with them. I hope the new Athena line sounds as good as the Energy C series. They're current offerings aren't quite up to par IMO.

One gripe, maybe go into more detail and pictures? :)

SheepStar

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sheep said:
Sweet review G! I know some peoples with these speakers, and they seem very happy with them. I hope the new Athena line sounds as good as the Energy C series. They're current offerings aren't quite up to par IMO.

One gripe, maybe go into more detail and pictures? :)

SheepStar
I am a very slow typist, so details aren't my forte.

As for pictures, I can get some off the net. I can't take pictures of the speakers because I already sold them. Very quick burn and turn deal.

We need to see more reveiws from you Sheep, yours are excellent.:D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Seth=L said:
I am a very slow typist, so details aren't my forte.

As for pictures, I can get some off the net. I can't take pictures of the speakers because I already sold them. Very quick burn and turn deal.

We need to see more reveiws from you Sheep, yours are excellent.:D
Oh, I didn't know you were flipping them.

I'd write more if I had equipement that people might be interested in. No point writing reviews for stuff that isn't sought-after. I might be upgrading my surrounds soon, if I do, I'll write a breif paragraph on them vs. the C-1s.

You should write one for your M&K once you get it up and running again.

SheepStar

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Sheep said:
Oh, I didn't know you were flipping them.

I'd write more if I had equipement that people might be interested in. No point writing reviews for stuff that isn't sought-after. I might be upgrading my surrounds soon, if I do, I'll write a breif paragraph on them vs. the C-1s.

You should write one for your M&K once you get it up and running again.

SheepStar
That is something to consider, reviewing the M&K that is. I once read a review for the Sunfire true sub MK1 and the reviewer compared it to the M&K MX-100. There is no comparison, the M&K blows it away in every way accept the ability to be hidden easily.:D

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Seth=L said:
That is something to consider, reviewing the M&K that is. I once read a review for the Sunfire true sub MK1 and the reviewer compared it to the M&K MX-100. There is no comparison, the M&K blows it away in every way accept the ability to be hidden easily.:D
Yeah, I really don't like those Sunfire subs. To much travel to be really linear at that size.

Do you have any pictures of your M&K?

SheepStar

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
I will take some pictures and post them on my system thread, just for you.:D

J

Joe Schmoe

Audioholic Ninja
I heard the B1s and thought they offered very good performance/price even at regular price. With that deep of a discount, they are a steal!:cool:

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
I heard the B1s and thought they offered very good performance/price even at regular price. With that deep of a discount, they are a steal!:cool:
they still are. i've bought 2 sets in my lifetime. I was that impressed ... for the price. i'm finally selling the one pair & keeping the others in my garage.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
they still are. i've bought 2 sets in my lifetime. I was that impressed ... for the price. i'm finally selling the one pair & keeping the others in my garage.

Yup...those damn speakers were the "root" to this once never ending AV obsession. It wound up costing me a tidy sum of cash over several years and has brought me to the point, I'm at now.
I still have my original as-b1s in the basement...

Anyways...this thread was 8 yrs old...lol

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Had a pair too. Really a very decent speaker for the price back then.

Ponzio

Ponzio

Audioholic Samurai
Yup...those damn speakers were the "root" to this once never ending AV obsession. It wound up costing me a tidy sum of cash over several years and has brought me to the point, I'm at now.
I still have my original as-b1s in the basement...

Anyways...this thread was 8 yrs old...lol
I don't know if I would blame my Athena's for my addiction :D that honor goes to the Panasonic Technics I picked up at work (Silo ... think todays Best Buy) when I was 16. it was all downhill from then on ....

I'm selling a pair, doing some research on pricing and thought I'd comment. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis