Athena AS-P4000 Review

Reviewer: SheepStar
Manufacture: Athena Technologies
Model: AS-P4000
MSRP: $399 CAD

Pros:
-Front Mounted Volume knob
-Modern appearance (See cons)
-Spikes for carpet (see build quality regarding these)
-Decent output above 35Hz
-Small (WAF)
-Light, easy to move, but… (See cons)

Cons:
-Dances (could be a pro for some…)
-Quite boomy with music material
-Far to light to be constructed with any quality (confirmed)
-No floor coupling options for hard surfaces (supplied spikes don’t cut it)
-Excessive bottoming at moderate volume levels
-Appearance can come across as gaudy in certain rooms
-Not Magnetically Shielded
-Amp gets rather warm.
-No Phase adjustment (continuous or switch)
-No more front mounted crossover knob
-Better for the money

Introduction:

Athena is a relatively new comer to the audio world. Under the watchful eye of API(and now Klipsch), they have the abilities to create great products and run with the big dogs of the industry. The Audition series was there foot in the door, and is still considered some of the best equipment for the money. When they revamped the Audition line, they also made some major changes to the subwoofer lineup that accompanied it.

Some of the new features/changes to this woofer include:
-Down firing woofer
-Front, AND down firing ports (1 down, 1 front)
-Shorter, but deeper layout (versus taller, and shallower)
-New driver with a 28oz magnet
-Scraped the 8inch version and introduced a 12inch.

Because my AS-P400 is in some electronics shop never to be seen again, I cannot directly compare the woofers. However, I do remember the driver from the P400 being much stiffer, and harder to move. The surround also had more strength in it, and really held its shape. Could these contribute to the overall sound quality? Read on.

Build Quality and Packaging:

When the subwoofer arrived, it came in a basic cardboard box, although it had a star that said “400 watts!” The box itself was nothing special and it wasn’t doubled. There were hard Styrofoam caps and sides that held the unit sturdy in its enclosure. I however would like to see the softer, more pliable foam caps and pieces because they further resist breaking.

Once the P4000 was out of its box and on all fours, it stood rather short, much shorter then the P400, which led me to believe Athena was going for a more WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) friendly design. Another thing I noticed while moving the subwoofer is that is wasn’t that hard. For a 10 inch subwoofer standing roughly 17inches high, 18inches deep, and 12inches wide, it was rather light. Oddly enough, the manual and website show no weight rating for this subwoofer. So, I did the only thing any decent reviewer would do, I weighed it myself! Once the numbers were in, I was shocked. 26lbs! My current subwoofer, with external dimensions of 18”D, 14”W, and 16”H weights 58lbs, almost double the weight!

So, after all that, what’s next? How about the knock test? No surprises here, the 26lbs really showed. Hollow sounds on the top and side panels. The Front panel has a plastic piece containing the front port and volume control, and the back has the amp.

In this review, I am going to work up the guts to take the driver out. The only other time I’ve done this is after I blew the driver (different sub). Nothing fancy, not going to rebuild it from scratch, but I need to see inside this thing. It’s too light, and the sound warrants it (as well as my readers, I <3 you guys). Finally, the moment of truth, after undoing the 8 screws, I was greeted by a box with 2 11inch ports (2inch dia.), and about an inch of yellow stuffing lining the side walls and top panel. NO BRACING. None along the corners, none in the middle of the side panels, nothing. This is why it failed the knock test, and this is why it sounds like jubbah blowing across a moonshine bottle.

So now that the subwoofer is hooked up and in a common subwoofer location (front right corner, will also try out 2 other spots) I wanted to hear it. I Fired up my Amp, and played a couple tunes off my computer, and was greeted by rattling, and dancing. Subwoofer dancing! NEVER have I seen a subwoofer, made by a reputable manufacture MOVE ACROSS A FLOOR. I’m not talking about a millimeter every hour; I’m talking inches in seconds. This is awful, plain and simple. I managed to eliminate the problem by putting some shipping foam under just the feet. This stopped both problems, and kept the subwoofer in place.

Setup & Placement:

For my review, I tried the subwoofer out in 3 different spots. First was between my TV and front right speaker. Next I tried in my front right corner. Lastly, for movies only, I put the subwoofer in a near field position behind my couch, to the left side (if you’re facing the TV). I used this spot for my main subwoofer. I found it to be the best as far as frequency response, and over all flatness. It also gave the most tactile response.

For music purposes, I chose the front right corner. The subwoofer seemed to have some excessive bloat in the 60Hz range so I though corner loading it and boosting up the 30Hz range might help flatten it out. I also chose the front corner over the near field spot because it is too tactile for music listening. Some may prefer the more tactile spot for music, but I don’t, and it’s my review. :)

I set the crossover at 70Hz (fixed 90Hz from receiver) to help with localization and the volume level at less than 2 out of 10 (which was the right blend for me). I think the volume know is screwed up. At 3.5, the driver would bottom out. Either way, I had to have the volume low.

Music Evaluation:
For my music evaluation I will be using select tracks from the following artists:

Donald Fagen – Morph the Cat
Tool – 10,000 Days
Alexisonfire - Crisis

Donald Fagen – Morph the Cat: This is a new test disk fresh from Mr. Fagen. The bass line is quite, “hot”. Example, the first track “Morph the Cat” has a very predominant repeating bass line throughout the whole song. It’s decently low (for music) and fairly articulate. When played through the AS-P4000, it came across as loud, bloated plucks, almost artificial sounding. Now I know a lot of bands these days rely on NASA so they can be digested, but Former Steely Dan lead man (say that 5 times fast) is no phony.

Flipping through track after track, the subwoofer just couldn’t keep out of the dirt. On track 6 “The Night Belongs to Mona” the kick drum beats had far too much overhang. To put it bluntly, this subwoofer ruined the songs, and made them (to me) un-enjoyable. Some may like this style sound, but for me, I like the bass to end when the signal does.

Tool – 10,000 Days: After a troublesome start, let’s see if the AS-P4000 can redeem itself with some Tool. Starting with track 2 “Jambi” the Athena seemed to suite this music a little better. The overemphasis in the 40-60Hz range was somehow masked. The drums in the intro had impressive slam, and tactile feel to them. The kick pedal however, still suffered from the overhang.

Switching off to track 4 “10,000 days” the P4000 now faces a plucking bass line, and some very hefty bass/drum slams. These slams reach deeper then the drums from Jambi, and ring out over a couple seconds, making overhang impossible to detect. What I can say, is the P4000 did them justice. With decent weight, and extension, the P4000 kept up to my mains, and didn’t drown them out. The bass line in the intro however, could have benefited from a little less smearing. I couldn’t separate the notes; all I heard was random rumbles.

Alexisonfire – Crisis: This is the newest (and at the moment of writing this, unreleased) album from Alexisonfire. This is the last band I though I would be using in a subwoofer review, but the album got some jam (it’s a saying, stop PMing me). Tracks 2 and 10 have bass low enough to bottom out woofers, including my Velodyne DPS-12. Track 2 “This Could Be Anywhere in the World” contains content in the low 40 to mid 30Hz range. On my receiver, I usually listen to music at -30dB. When I played this song the first time on the P4000, it snap, crackled, and popped. It was spewing port noise out the yanged yings, and driver bottoming galore. After reducing the volume to -40dB, I was now able to review the song, at the expense on saving my hearing. :) The P4000 was starting to boom, and stand out in a less then ideal light. This little bass in the intro was more intense then any of the bass in “Morph the Cat”.

On the move again, I switched to track 10 “To a Friend”. This song doesn’t have extremely low bass like track 2, but it is very loud, and really attacks you. It’s a driving beat in the intro of the song, so it occurs very often, and helps set the emotion of the track. Again, the P4000 could play the note, and with more ease then track 2’s intro note, but it still sounded bloated. This subwoofer seems to be lacking control in the 40-60Hz range. It just belts out bass, and makes setting the volume very hard. It’s either to quite, or to loud.

SheepStar

Last edited:
Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Part 2

Movies: If there’s anywhere a boomy subwoofer will shine, its movies right? Well, Maybe. After switching subwoofer locations and readjusting the subwoofer volume (now at a cool 1/10), I was ready to begin my evaluation. I selected 3 movies that I really enjoy testing subwoofers on that each contains their own unique qualities. First is Star Wars: Episode 1. I chose the pod race scene, for its dynamics, and complexity of notes. After this is U571, which contains extremely deep bass, that should shake you, your room, and Polaroid pictures. Lastly, is Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring. This movie contains some extreme SPLs, which a lesser subwoofer will merely poop out. So without further ado, I give you movies.

Star Wars: Episode 1: BAM! This movie starts off with a bang (THX intro). After doing some research, is called “Cavalcade2”. Not sure what that means, but it’s the intro with the blue thunder ball that explodes into a bassy fit. It doesn’t go extremely deep, but it does have great dynamics, that should shake up a storm. The P4000 did pump out the dynamics and some tactile energy as well, but I couldn’t discern between the different bass notes. As usual, it was just burping.

On to the actual movie, the pod racer engines firing up have a myriad of different sounds going all at once. What I’m looking for is a noticeable difference between the different engines. This is where the P4000 did a commendable job. The performance was a little bloated, but I could hear a difference in the engines. Surprising given what I’ve seen so far eh?

U571: This is where a subwoofer gets to strut its stuff. Why? I don’t know, it’s not like there’s male and female subwoofers in this world, but would that stop you? With the depth charge scene reaching 10 Hz and below, this test is way over the AS-P4000’s head. So why use it? To see if the P4000 can keep its composure and make the cone oscillations (just for you Mule) at 10Hz go unnoticed. Now, although this scene plays low, it does have content in the P4000’s range, and I can always judge it on that. :)

After selecting scene 15, I sat back and waited for thudding, cracking, screaming, and maybe even a little crying. But wait, there was nothing. The subwoofer didn’t break up or fart; it just played what it could, and then shut up. This is unusual; I’m used to subwoofers rattling apart on this scene, big points for the P4000. Not only did it behave, it didn’t sound half bad with the audible part of the charges. With great dynamics, and decent separation of notes, it was a nice surprise.

Lord of the Rings – The Fellowship of the Ring: This is the most stressful test DVD I have as far as pure SPL goes. I know “War of the Worlds” goes low and loud, but this is pure SPL in the audible range, making most subwoofers give up the ghost and their woofers at the same time. Only my DPS-12 can survive this scene thanks to its fancy limiters, otherwise it would join the long list of failures. The scene I am talking about is the famous well scene in the “Mines of Moria”. The drum beats that emit from this well drive subwoofers insane. How did the P4000 fair?

Quite well, it managed to keep its ports shut (get it?) and pump out some serious bass to boot. Now, it wasn’t very clean, as a matter of fact it was quite boomy, but the fact that it produced bass under these conditions is good enough.

This concludes the movies portion of the review. Overall, I think the Athena is more suited towards movies (not saying that there is music and movie only subwoofers, but it helps hide its flaws). With decent output, and good extension (more coming up on this) it can be a great movie subwoofer.

Test Tones:

Once again, time for tones. This is to determine the usable extension of this subwoofer.

Using WinISD, I ran test tones at 50Hz, 40 Hz, 32Hz, 25Hz, and finally 20 Hz. I don’t have an SPL meter, but I have ears. If I can hear it, it would show up on the meter.

50 Hz: Yes
40 Hz: Yes
32 Hz: Yes
25 Hz: Barely
20 Hz: No.

As you can see, it is good to just below 30 Hz, which is not quite inline with its specs (23 Hz).

Conclusion:

Wow, what a mixed bag. In one hand, you have a subwoofer that is too bloated for music that can barely sit still. In the other, you have a subwoofer that can pass through movies unnoticed and dish out decent SPLs to decent depths.

Personally, I would not recommend this subwoofer unless you get it for below $200. Its build quality is sub-par, and the fact it moved across my floor is inexcusable. I strongly urge you hear this before you buy it simply because of its faults. I don’t know if my unit is defective, or has some constructional error, but it was new, in box.

Ratings: (* = 1 star)

These ratings pertain to the performance of the unit relative to its cost. A 4 star rating on a 300 dollar unit will not be the same as a 4 star rating on a 1000 dollar unit.

***** = Outstanding
**** = Above average
*** = Average
** = Below Average
* = Very Poor

Build quality: *1/2
Appearance: ***
Controls: ***1/2
Connections: ***
SPL: ***1/2
Bass Extension (Movies): ***
Bass Extension (Music): ***
Bass Quality (Music):*1/2
Bass Quality (Movies): **1/2
Features: ***
Overall: **
Value (At MSRP): **

EDIT: Added rating scale

SheepStar

Last edited:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Try the Episode 3 openning scene, tons of port noise, same for the 400. The amplifiers are extremely overated and disapointing.

Just as a note: DANGER: Bass tones to be aware of in Resident Evil: Apocalypse. The tone is present when the camera pans below the surface as the weather report is being audibly imposed on the happy little suburb scene. Once the camera goes underground there is a dangerous tone that is not audible and causes some really scary excursion and is potentially harmfull at higher volumes to your amplifiers and speakers. My M&K MX-100 sub's power supply died under the stress of the tone, so be carefull when watching the scene.

Congratualations on the review, very good work. :)

Rob Babcock

Rob Babcock

Seth=L said:
Try the Episode 3 openning scene, tons of port noise, same for the 400. The amplifiers are extremely overated and disapointing.

Just as a note: DANGER: Bass tones to be aware of in Resident Evil: Apocalypse. The tone is present when the camera pans below the surface as the weather report is being audibly imposed on the happy little suburb scene. Once the camera goes underground there is a dangerous tone that is not audible and causes some really scary excursion and is potentially harmfull at higher volumes to your amplifiers and speakers. My M&K MX-100 sub's power supply died under the stress of the tone, so be carefull when watching the scene.

Congratualations on the review, very good work. :)
I've watched that scene many times...never noticed any problems. Were my pair of Hsu TN-1220's supposed to get all worked up?:D

Okay, I have notice one problem- a loud, pronounced KRAKKK sound from my ceiling!:eek: There's been a couple times I feared the tarpaper-shanti of a house I rent would be blown to smithereens by my Twin Towers of Power.;)

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Excellent

write up! Although, you did leak some information in other posts, it's no real suprise that it fell short;) . I guess that's why we have hsu and svs to give us the comsumers an alternative and much better choice:) . Lastly I remember your velo dsp 12 review it was about avarage and for the money would you recommend it? I'm asking because both hsu and svs are now availalbe in Canada!:D

Thanks billy p

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
billy p said:
write up! Although, you did leak some information in other posts, it's no real suprise that it fell short;) . I guess that's why we have hsu and svs to give us the comsumers an alternative and much better choice:) . Lastly I remember your velo dsp 12 review it was about avarage and for the money would you recommend it? I'm asking because both hsu and svs are now availalbe in Canada!:D

Thanks billy p
No, I would get an Hsu or SVS before that Velo.

SheepStar

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Solid write-up, Sheep!

Solid review, Sheep, a litte too sugar-coated though... :D

Having owned and used this sub for approx. 6 months in a secondary setup that doesn't get ridden too heavy, I found it to be above satisfactory for our uses (65% sat. tv, 20% movies, 15% music). I'd have to fully agree with some of your assessments on this sub (appearance, features, build quality), but I'd have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of it's musical performance. Much of this may have to do with amount of bass I prefer with music compared to your preferences as I thought you seemed to be running the volume pretty hot in comparsion to my own settings (just a hair over 0). Some of this may have to do with your receiver as well as I found in the past some didn't quite produce the same output as others. By no means is this knocking what you're using, just pointing out that it may play into your findings. This should be a moot point if calibration is peformed and there's a smooth roll-off from the mains to the sub, but critical music listening is pretty subjective, so this is a bit tricky.

When evaluating the performance of the AS-P4000, my first testing w/some music involved Propellerhead's 'Decksanddrumsandrockandroll', Steely Dan's 'Aja' and Rush's 'Moving Pictures'. Being a bit of a percussion freak (I used to drum in a former life), I want to make sure the drum and rhythm sections can provide the punch and snap I'm accustom to in a studio or live environment as well as what my SVS 20-39 PCi can accomplish, of course within reasonable means. Instead of giving you the intricate detail or experience with each listening track, I'll just say the P4000 was able to provide as solid and as accurate a soundstage as possible, considering the restricted placement I have it within, room size and it's given street price point.

Could a 10" dual ported sub in this size form factor perform better? Of course. For the street price of the P4000? Maybe, but not neccessarily. I agree that it's manufacturer's specs are a bit inflamed (I would've guessed approx. 28Hz was it's bottom limit), build quality could be better ala bracing and more damping material. Also agree that it ain't gonna win any beauty contests anytime soon, while I've seen worse, it's no looker. However even with these negatives, I found it to be fairly tight with most of the musical source I fed it. I also felt it did a great job with movie soundtracks, though at high volumes it would occasionally turn into a one-note wonder on extremely deep and heavy LFE, but these instances have been few and far between.

For the $180 street price (included shipping), I haven't heard too many others in this price range that provide better performance. If you have, by all means provide some suggestions to some that may be reading your review for insight on subs in the ~$200 price range. All in all a good review, Sheep, this will hopefully shed some light on this sub for some prospective buyers and give them a feel for what they might expect... :cool: -TD

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
tomd51 said:
Solid review, Sheep, a litte too sugar-coated though... :D

Having owned and used this sub for approx. 6 months in a secondary setup that doesn't get ridden too heavy, I found it to be above satisfactory for our uses (65% sat. tv, 20% movies, 15% music). I'd have to fully agree with some of your assessments on this sub (appearance, features, build quality), but I'd have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of it's musical performance. Much of this may have to do with amount of bass I prefer with music compared to your preferences as I thought you seemed to be running the volume pretty hot in comparsion to my own settings (just a hair over 0). Some of this may have to do with your receiver as well as I found in the past some didn't quite produce the same output as others. By no means is this knocking what you're using, just pointing out that it may play into your findings. This should be a moot point if calibration is peformed and there's a smooth roll-off from the mains to the sub, but critical music listening is pretty subjective, so this is a bit tricky.

When evaluating the performance of the AS-P4000, my first testing w/some music involved Propellerhead's 'Decksanddrumsandrockandroll', Steely Dan's 'Aja' and Rush's 'Moving Pictures'. Being a bit of a percussion freak (I used to drum in a former life), I want to make sure the drum and rhythm sections can provide the punch and snap I'm accustom to in a studio or live environment as well as what my SVS 20-39 PCi can accomplish, of course within reasonable means. Instead of giving you the intricate detail or experience with each listening track, I'll just say the P4000 was able to provide as solid and as accurate a soundstage as possible, considering the restricted placement I have it within, room size and it's given street price point.

Could a 10" dual ported sub in this size form factor perform better? Of course. For the street price of the P4000? Maybe, but not neccessarily. I agree that it's manufacturer's specs are a bit inflamed (I would've guessed approx. 28Hz was it's bottom limit), build quality could be better ala bracing and more damping material. Also agree that it ain't gonna win any beauty contests anytime soon, while I've seen worse, it's no looker. However even with these negatives, I found it to be fairly tight with most of the musical source I fed it. I also felt it did a great job with movie soundtracks, though at high volumes it would occasionally turn into a one-note wonder on extremely deep and heavy LFE, but these instances have been few and far between.

For the $180 street price (included shipping), I haven't heard too many others in this price range that provide better performance. If you have, by all means provide some suggestions to some that may be reading your review for insight on subs in the ~$200 price range. All in all a good review, Sheep, this will hopefully shed some light on this sub for some prospective buyers and give them a feel for what they might expect... :cool: -TD

Oh, of course, thats why this is not the be all end all performance rating for this sub.

However, a subwoofer, no matter how bad, should not vibrate using its supplied feet. Period. Especially from Athena. I just couldn't tolerate the amount of bloat in the 40-60Hz range, and if I dropped the volume any more, it would not be loud enough above and below those points (90Hz fixed Xover).

If there is certain tracks you would like to try out, I would more then glady give a listen.

And thank you for your compliments,

SheepStar

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Nice write up, Sheepster. Gene should pay you for that one, or at least get you 20% off site advertisers. ;) That sub review was much more informative than the last several I've read here.

A

AVJedi

Audioholic Intern
Sheep,
Nice write-up, very well done. I wonder if Athena's 12" is much better? It has a BASH amp, and (according to the manufacturer ratings) is louder and lower than the one you reviewed. But, regarding your "dancing sub" do you think it is because of the downfiring design? I noticed that your other two subs are front firing. It could be sending enough vibrations down toward the cement floor to make it dance, and that could be part of the issues you listed in your review as well. Given your listening environment. Overall well done, and I think anyone who reads this will get a lot more information that reading its description on the Athena website, or retailer's details.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
The main reason it vibrated was because of the feet. When I put shipping foam underneath them, it stopped.

It was also related to the subwoofers weight, and it's construction quality. If it was braced more, and dampend more, it would not have vibrated, and would also have weigh'd more. If this subwoofer had rubber spikes as opposed to plastic ones, the problem would have never existed.

That small, black sealed sub also has plastic spikes, but it weighs 30Lbs, and is fairly inert due to its small size, so it doesn't dance either (however, it is blown).

SheepStar

Takeereasy

Takeereasy

Audioholic General
nice review sheep. I happen to think that Athena's products have taken a step back from when they were introduced. Still a good product for the buck but not the steal they once were. Again, nice review.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I will agree its a good sub for $200 or less, but not for 399 retail.

Thanks,

SheepStar

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Sheep, do a review on the new JL Audio subs while you're at it.

gellor

gellor

Full Audioholic
Buckeyefan 1 said:
Sheep, do a review on the new JL Audio subs while you're at it.
The Fathoms? Yeah...then send it to me when you're done so I can "review" it, too.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
Yes and a Genelec, the Velodyne Digital 1812, and a Theil; if you would please.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis