At a crossroad, B&W 805 D3 L & R no center or HTM1 D3 705 S2 L& R

T

terryreid

Audiophyte
Let me start off saying I am not a newbie have been at this since HT started and have a three Krell amp system with Martin Logan Balanced Force 212's and all the rest in my main home.

I have a hi rise condo in FLA and have a large room 19 x 18 and open attached dining room to right big and open. I have an opportunity to get some new floor model bowers wilkins 805 D3 with stands for $4,000 vs $7,000 retail due to a small scratch.

I realize these are over kill and not needed for TV and movies and ZERO MUSIC I will be driving with Pioneer Elite VS-53 pre amp out to Krell S-1500.

Question I am torn between a HTM1 or 2 D3 center and 805 S2's or the 805 D3's and phantom center channel.

Love to get some opinions I cannot crank it over the top due to neighbors but can view at a pretty decent sound level. I am wondering how good the 805 D3's sound at average sound levels for a movie and the shows I watch.

On the surface it seems like the 805 D3 will profide a fuller sound with more depth and no sub will be used with either set up but not sure about not having a center channel. I suppose I could always adde a HTM 2 D3 down the road but at that point the 805 D3 are way over kill fo just left and right.

Thanks

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own the B&W 802D2, along with the Revel Salon2 among other speakers.

I think if B&W is your fantasy or dream, then might as well get the Diamonds. Then add the Diamond Center later down the road. If it is your dream.

The ONLY B&W speakers that get ANY respect from most members are the Diamond series. And even the Diamond series never get any "Best Speaker of the Year" Awards since their on-axis and off-axis measurements don't even compete with some cheap $300 speakers.

Otherwise, there are plenty of other brands that will sound at least as good, if not better, for less money. So many other brands - RBH, KEF, Revel, Focal, Dynaudio, PSB, Monitor Audio, and Internet-Direct companies like Salk and Ascend. Probably other brands I have not mentioned.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis