Asking for some suggestions

calexcyou

calexcyou

Enthusiast
hello,
I been a member here for a while and I am not really into theaters are surround sound, but just clean 2 channel sound . I belong to a few forums but to tell u the truth i can never get a answer from anyone without them beating around the bush and telling me to spend thousands of dollars for upgrades or get into streaming.
I have been into stereo for 50 years plus and i know what sounds good, but with new technology my brain is trying to absorb faster than i can comprehend.
I have had lots of stereo systems in the past from PE 3060 TT, Luxman , to Roberts, Marantz , receivers to Electro Research 320 Speakers.
My current systems today consist of main system Cambridge AXR 100 , Project Debut Carbon /Ort Red , Fossil Audio Tube Box 4 Photo Pre amp , with Elac 2.0 6.2 Speakers.
I would like to add my Nad 5000 CD or Nad 523 CD player to my system , but was wondering if I should get a DAC . I was looking at the Topping E30 or the Cambridge Dacmajic Plus.
I also have a Nad AV716 receiver and a Phillips 312 TT all original , with a Little Bear T7 Tube Phono Pre amp , and Pioneer SP-BS22 Andrew Jones Speakers to play my jazz vinyl .
then add either a DAC for the other CD player.
I have a huge collection of CD and Vinyl and its all I listen to.
I am moving into a smaller home and the living room is only 12' X 11' with one side being all window.
My simple question is should I get a DAC for the CD players or use the DACs in the recievers. Eventually i would like to hook up my TV to my system.
Any thoughts would be appreciated .
Thanks

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
If all you listen to is music, then I would invest in speakers before DACs, meaning speakers have a MUCH larger influence on the sound than any DAC.

IMO any decent CD player like what you are looking at should already have good enough DACs. An external DAC isn't going to add enough to justify adding one instead of just getting a model you like out of the box. Your Cambridge receiver also has good DACs.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Odds are very poor that an external DAC will offer enough of an audible improvement over the built in DACs on your gear as to be noticeable. Measurable... maybe, not audibly distinguishable, likely not.

@j_garcia really has it accurate when he says to focus on speakers. Speakers and room treatments will make audible differences to your system. They can be immediately recognized as improvements and can give long term benefits to your experience. Always plenty of ways to spend money of course. :D

calexcyou

calexcyou

Enthusiast
I am actually really satisfied with the Elacs , and don't think I can fit a better speaker in the mix. My space is smaller than I am use to , and floor standing speakers will not work.
I did opt to use external phono tube pre amps instead of what's in the receivers and have a warmer clearer sound which I noticed

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I am actually really satisfied with the Elacs , and don't think I can fit a better speaker in the mix. My space is smaller than I am use to , and floor standing speakers will not work.
I did opt to use external phono tube pre amps instead of what's in the receivers and have a warmer clearer sound which I noticed
Don't waste money on a DAC. I already suspect you need decontamination from Audiophools on other sites.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
My advice is simple. Put the tube gear in a closet for storage. Then consider buying a subwoofer. It will boost the sound quality and entertainment value of your two channel system greatly. DACs are DACs. It matters not whether they are internal or separate.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
There is only so much you can squeeze out of your current Elac 2.0 6.2 Speakers ... the biggest difference is still in the speakers ... if you like the Elac sound signature, then upgrade to a higher level set of Elac speakers

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That is great that you are happy with the speakers you have, that is important. If you are looking for big improvements in sound though, speakers are unquestionably where you will get your biggest improvement, period.

A DAC would be used when you have a device like a laptop that does not have a good DAC onboard, not when you have TWO devices in your architecture that already have very capable ones.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
+1 for a vote to upgrade speakers, not electronics.
Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 and SP-BS22 are both good HIGH-VALUE speakers, but they have their limits.
You don't have to go to a tower speaker in order to improve sound quality.
If you want to improve sound quality drastically, I'd highly recommend skipping a few upgrade steps and going straight to dream-level speakers at not-crazy prices. I'm talking about Philharmonic Audio BMR Monitors, which start at $1700/pair, which is a very low price to pay for their top-end performance.
If you're a handy person, you could save lots of $ and build them yourself.

calexcyou

calexcyou

Enthusiast
My advice is simple. Put the tube gear in a closet for storage. Then consider buying a subwoofer. It will boost the sound quality and entertainment value of your two channel system greatly. DACs are DACs. It matters not whether they are internal or separate.
Hi, thks for the advice, but I had a sub, and didn't care for boom sound, and sounded very dry to me. I really wanted a warm clear sound and adding the tubes made a big difference.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
By their very nature, tube amps will soften the sound by soft clipping and overdriving to a light distortion, NOT make it more clear. What you are saying is you prefer this type of sound.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi, thks for the advice, but I had a sub, and didn't care for boom sound, and sounded very dry to me. I really wanted a warm clear sound and adding the tubes made a big difference.
Curious what this sub was. They’re NOT all created equally, and proper integration is absolutely critical to seamless sound. My guess is it was not a quality sub, and possibly not fully integrated.

calexcyou

calexcyou

Enthusiast
It was the Elac sub 3010. And I tried placement all over the rm, and even had my friend who is a retired sound engineer for Bose come over to help with placement.
It's all subjective anyway .

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Are you certain you don't want surround sound especially for TV?

I can't live without it anymore!

calexcyou

calexcyou

Enthusiast
I guess the only thing I would like is just hooking my TV up to one of my receivers for sound out of the speakers, not sure which way to do it. Once again I have seen soo many different ways of hooking it up, I am still confused going about it anymore.
Also I am putting a switch box in to switch from receivers to speakers and vice a verse. Bear VU3 Amplifier & Speaker Selector Switcher Combiner

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Need to know which TV, then we can recommend based on the connection types it has. Do you intend to stream content or just want to have whatever you are watching pass sound to the receiver? If you intend to stream mainly, an external device connected to the AVR might be the best method because it would matter less what the TV's capabilities are.

calexcyou

calexcyou

Enthusiast
Thanks for everybody's help on here, I really don't know yet what TV I will use, I have both in storage waiting to move next month.
I am downsizing my living space and life .

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
Downsizing isn't really good. It only causes comprises in literally everything.
I'm more happy with a larger place than a smaller one. It's a fact!

As for connecting the tv to receiver. The best way is hdmi earc followed by regular arc.

To keep your setup simple all you want is just an av receiver and speakers. And devices you want to connect to it. And perhaps even a tv.

Hope this helps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis