Asking For Passwords

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....what is the deal with some of these online businesses???....they ask for your password to your mail service....I tried a couple of times lately to order stuff, and they ask for my email address password, and you can't complete the transaction unless you give it....hey, I got news for 'em, that ain't gonna' happen....comments?.....

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
mulester7 said:
.....what is the deal with some of these online businesses???....they ask for your password to your mail service....I tried a couple of times lately to order stuff, and they ask for my email address password, and you can't complete the transaction unless you give it....hey, I got news for 'em, that ain't gonna' happen....comments?.....
No legitimate business would ever ask for this information. What possible purpose would it serve them? You must be dealing with some shady people because I buy various things online all the time and I've never had a business ask me for this information.

All you can do is avoid these people and maybe spread the names of these companies around so that others can avoid them also.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
They probable are asking you:
"What email address did you use when you registered with our website and what password did you enter when you registered for our website?"

Not:
"What is your personal email address and what is the password for your personal email account?"

Typically it says at the top: "Returning customers..."

Then somewhere around it something says: "NEW CUSTOMERS CLICK HERE"

It will walk you through a form so they collect your email address, a password so you can log into their site later, etc.

This, at least, has been my experience with most websites that I have dealt with and almost none that I have done business with has led to a sudden increase in SPAM.

brian32672

brian32672

Banned
Is it possible they are asking for your email address (which is super common, heck even Radio Shack in person wants that)
However they are asking for you to set-up a new password, for their site. And it will not continue, until you do so. (this is with just about all sites, for security purposes including amazon (very well trusted), eBay, etc....

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
BMXTRIX said:
They probable are asking you:
"What email address did you use when you registered with our website and what password did you enter when you registered for our website?"

Not:
"What is your personal email address and what is the password for your personal email account?"

Typically it says at the top: "Returning customers..."

Then somewhere around it something says: "NEW CUSTOMERS CLICK HERE"

It will walk you through a form so they collect your email address, a password so you can log into their site later, etc.

This, at least, has been my experience with most websites that I have dealt with and almost none that I have done business with has led to a sudden increase in SPAM.
I didn't think about that, but I'm sure you're right. Them asking for a personal email password just doesn't make sense.

mulester7

mulester7

Audioholic Samurai
.....thanks, guys, I was probably walking in ignorance again as usual....I'll try again....one of them was the Cadencestore.com site....I've decided to hold off on that one anyway, but I think it would be a quality product and result.....

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
mulester7 said:
.....thanks, guys, I was probably walking in ignorance again as usual....I'll try again....one of them was the Cadencestore.com site....I've decided to hold off on that one anyway, but I think it would be a quality product and result.....

Come to think of it, Amazon has such a practice, log in password. Sometimes they use email address and a password so you have a customer page , you can change it later, or anything about yourself. some use just a name and password like here :D

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis