Asian DVD on Ebay (yes no?)

E

ernie00

Enthusiast
Anyone has ordered these Asian version of any movies on ebay. I was wondering, are those asian DVD good ? Is the sound and picture quality the same as the US / Canadian Version ?

Is there any drawbacks in buying them ? The prices are often amazing.

thanks for the info.

majorloser

majorloser

DVD Regional Codes

The biggest problem is the different region codes. Most DVD players can only switch between regions so many times before the player locks to the last region. There are some players that are "all-region" players. If your player is one of those, not a problem. If you plan on buying many of these discs you could either buy a "all-region" player or just a cheap player for just that region.

Here's the regions:

1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
6: China
7: Reserved
8: Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)

E

ernie00

Enthusiast
some of them are selling them as region 1 dvd. ?

Thanks for the info, this is really intresting.

Ernie

racquetman

racquetman

Audioholic Chief
ernie00 said:
Is there any drawbacks in buying them?
The fact that you are likely supporting piracy? Is that a drawback? :confused:

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
They often are mislabelled in some way (such as claiming to have DTS and not having it, like my copy of Help!), and often do not have the extras that U.S. releases have (like some Charles Chaplin films that I bought, and then I bought the U.S. releases because I wanted the extras, so in this case, it cost me more, though I have extra copies of some of the films). The picture quality has been okay on the ones I have seen, but I wouldn't count on them always being as good as those released elsewhere. (But, of course, there are low quality budget releases of some films made for U.S. consumption, too.)

As for the region coding, many of the DVDs from Asia are made without region coding (check before you buy if your player can only handle region 1 and region free discs). You can also try to make your player region free, which may or may not be reasonably possible:

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

Edited a second time to add:

You will also want to pay attention to whether foreign DVDs are NTSC or PAL, and whether your player can handle both and convert between them. If your TV can handle a PAL signal (many HDTVs in the U.S. can, most regular TVs cannot; in either case, you must check and see, and do not assume), then the player need not convert between them, but still must be able to pass a PAL signal if the DVD is PAL.

My advice is this: If you want the best quality, do not buy them. However, for some films, you cannot get them in the U.S. at this time, and then you either go with an import or do without. Help! is one that I wanted and could not get in the U.S. (except used at a hugely inflated price as it is out of print, or was at the time I made my purchase). If you are willing to have something that is only okay and not the best, then you can go ahead and buy them, though it is also possible that there may be some copyright infringement issues with some of them (different countries have different laws, and different enforcement of the laws they have).

By the way, the above comments [edited a third time to add] about quality and mislabelling are not about all foreign DVDs; just those I have seen from parts of Asia (such as Korea and China), which are sometimes resold by people in other places (including the U.S.). I have some well made DVDs made for Australia, Japan, Germany, and for the U.K., which I bought because they were either out of print in the U.S., or the U.S. version was censored, or because I was able to get an amazing price at a local store that seemed to be wanting to get rid of something that became available on regular U.S. DVDs.

Last edited:
E

ernie00

Enthusiast
I'm not suporting anything I'm just asking questions ! :)

majorloser

majorloser

Well, these are the same guys who are fighting over HD disc formats right now because they want to limit coping of discs.

Hmmmmmm.........I mean really, would any of us Audioholics do something illegal? :rolleyes:

GlocksRock

GlocksRock

Audioholic Spartan
Even if the disc is region coded, you can use dvd shrink to make the disc region free.

Rock&Roll Ninja

Rock&Roll Ninja

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have ordered several asian DVDs from various Ebay sellers because they are of higher quality than their US counterparts.....

Iron Monkey: The US version has several scenes cut, dialog changed/missing, different subtitles, and different music. The picture quality is better in the US release however.

Shaolin Soccer: The US version has at least one cut scene, and some CG "censoring" (Evil team goalie's arse). The Chinese disk even has full bitrate DTS mandarin! PWNED!

HERO: The US DVD has incorrect colour, and a softer picture. The Chinese disk also has DTS.

Battle Royale: Japanese dsk has full bitrate DTS.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Most of those Asian DVDs sold on ebay are pirated copies. You can get them for less $1 on the streets of Beijing. As to the video quality, it depends. If the DVD is from a good "pirating company," the video quality is comparable to the U.S. counterparts. If the DVD is from a not so reputable "pirating company," you will likely encounter video quality issues (oftentimes what you see on those DVDs are actually recordings of live movies made by people who brought camcorders into movie theaters).

If I were you, I would buy those DVDs if I were visiting China. I wouldn't buy them on ebay, the prices are hugely inflated, and you cannot be sure of the video quality.

mpompey

mpompey

Senior Audioholic
I've gotten Asian LDs because distributors don't want to distribute the film in the US. Be careful though, I've bought what I thought were shrink wrapped Anime via Ebay, only to get the disc and find out they were bootlegs. The video was fine, but all of the extras, etc. got left out of the copying.

Not to start a flame war or anything. But its ridiculous that the MPAA and cronies are placing all these restrictions and formats to stop copying here. But not addressing the real pirates overseas in China and Japan. When I was there I would go into record and movie stores and the bootleg copies were selling on the shelves. That's where they need to focus their efforts, IMHO.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
I bought one from China, the Yanni...I don;t know if it one of the pirated ones but the sound and picture is top quality. The second one i bought is Vanessa Mae, the red violin from Korea. It is terrible.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Vanessa Mae is from Singapore. Her albums are catchy, but I"m not sure if she's a top rate classical violinist.

masak_aer

masak_aer

Senior Audioholic
furrycute said:
Vanessa Mae is from Singapore. Her albums are catchy, but I"m not sure if she's a top rate classical violinist.
Yes..don't like it at all.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis