Ascend HTM-200 SE vs Behringer Truth B2030P. FIGHT!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
J you got me salivating here.:p I'm thinking I'd get the Super for music only
Also keep an eye out, for the 1.1 and 1.5 bookshelf speakers. However all in all,
I prefer the Classic Two. If you have a good sub, the Absolute Zero is no wimp.

K

klaberte

Enthusiast
That's a great deal on the NHT Classic Two, on amazon they are selling one speaker for the same price of the sale. I wonder If they have a 30 day trial? Do you own them JG? If so how do they compare to the Zeros/Superones? I've been wanting to hear NHT speakers for a while now...
First, thanks to all!

So, I've made a couple of replies to this post, but none have shown up. It says something about needing Mods approval. Perhaps because they included URLs?

I apologize if you see duplicate posts. I will try to clean this all up once the Mod approves my earlier posts.

So, here is my non-URL responses:

First, these will be part of a 2.1 system. I will buy a subwoofer, probably the SVS sealed version, i.e. SB12-NSD, 400W, approx 14" cube. (Anyone recommend another sub that is *no larger* than that?)

Second, these need to sit on a 9" hearth. I've already been yelled at by the forum for this choice, see my thread titled "Domesticating the former-bachelor audiophile" [Sorry, apparently I can post URLs]. So this imposes depth restriction of 9" for sealed or front ported speakers, less for rear-ported speakers. The Behringer and Ascend HTM-200 both meet this criteria. Sadly, the Ascends 170s do not, or that would likely be my choice.

Third, I already have a pair of NHT superones, and can borrow a pair of superzeros from my brother-in-law. Those will be auditioned at the same time. I would have stuck with the superones, but I am trying them now in my current setup (will be moving in two weeks), and am not thrilled with the high end. Maybe my Snell JIII spoil me.

Perhaps I should have named the thread "Ascend HTM-200 SE vs Behringer Truth B2030P vs NHT Superones vs NHT Superzeros". ;-)

Fourth, you can wall-mount the superones. I have ;-). Three of them. Along the back of my current room, which happens to be right over the dining table! :-o My wife always fears that they will fall and hit her, but they have held perfectly for 6 years now.

Ken

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Third, I already have a pair of NHT superones, and can borrow a pair of superzeros from my brother-in-law. Those will be auditioned at the same time. I would have stuck with the superones, but I am trying them now in my current setup (will be moving in two weeks), and am not thrilled with the high end. Maybe my Snell JIII spoil me.

Perhaps I should have named the thread "Ascend HTM-200 SE vs Behringer Truth B2030P vs NHT Superones vs NHT Superzeros". ;-)
Did you rule out the Boston E60 - and they have the real good
high resolution, for midrange and highs over the NHT's

Last edited:
majorloser

majorloser

So, I've made a couple of replies to this post, but none have shown up. It says something about needing Mods approval. Perhaps because they included URLs?

I apologize if you see duplicate posts. I will try to clean this all up once the Mod approves my earlier posts.
You are still too new as a member to get full rights. For now you are automatically moderated.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The Absolute Zeros and the new Classics are improved from the older "Super" series. The highs are crisp (still aluminum tweeter) but less harsh than the older models IMO. If the Snells in question have the good old Vifa soft domes, then most metal tweeters may give you similar feelings. The Ascends use soft domes, but they are on the brighter side of neutral.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
NHT did put a lot of work in the current designs, and the new
cabinet designs were not made just for looks.

Last edited:
K

klaberte

Enthusiast
The Absolute Zeros and the new Classics are improved from the older "Super" series. The highs are crisp (still aluminum tweeter) but less harsh than the older models IMO. If the Snells in question have the good old Vifa soft domes, then most metal tweeters may give you similar feelings. The Ascends use soft domes, but they are on the brighter side of neutral.
I recently flipped through the (pre-word-processing, typed) Snell manual, and I am pretty sure they do have the Vifa soft dome tweets. Didn't realize there were different flavors of dome tweeters; thanks for the education!

Yes, I do really like the Snell JIII high end, and would be happy to get it back in a smaller package (that didn't break the bank). Any other soft dome speakers you can recommend (along with my other requirements)?

K

klaberte

Enthusiast
Did you rule out the Boston E60 - and they have the real good
high resolution, for midrange and highs over the NHT's
I haven't ruled out the E60s, but didn't add them to the short list because:

1. Very expensive compared to the others under consideration; would be more likely to increase the budget if I was dissatisfied with some of the others being discussed.

2. Twenty years ago (when I bought my Snells), I had some larger BA speakers on my short list, at first really liking the top end, then grew tired of it once I heard the Snells. I guess I would have called the BA "airy", and the Snells "accurate, with just the right amount of warm". After a lot of back-and-forth listening, I decided that, to me, the "airy" was somewhat artificial, although that is a completely personal opinion. So, BA had (probably completely unfairly, given the hugely different circumstances and 20 years) been relegated them to the category of "Speakers many people like but I do not". If others can chime in about the E60s, given my situation, let me know!

The E40s should probably still be in the hunt, but I am having a hard time finding places that would take them back after purchase. Also, I figured the dual 4" of the Ascends (even sealed) probably beats the single 4.5" ported woofer of the E40s.

I am leaning toward the htm-200s, and will almost certainly try them out. When I started this thread, I was of the mind "I'll probably get and decide on the Ascends, but should I also take the time and s/h costs to try out the Behringers?" I haven't had anyone suggest that they prefer the Behringers in this match up.

Still, happy to hear other opinions/suggestions.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
Kla, they have the Boston Acoustics A26 if you don't mind white for half price at OneCall $198 the pair, I'm sorry I forgot your placement requirements, sorry brother.
Jeff:eek:

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I haven't ruled out the E60s, but didn't add them to the short list because:

1. Very expensive compared to the others under consideration; would be more likely to increase the budget if I was dissatisfied with some of the others being discussed.

2. Twenty years ago (when I bought my Snells), I had some larger BA speakers on my short list, at first really liking the top end, then grew tired of it once I heard the Snells. I guess I would have called the BA "airy", and the Snells "accurate, with just the right amount of warm". After a lot of back-and-forth listening, I decided that, to me, the "airy" was somewhat artificial, although that is a completely personal opinion. So, BA had (probably completely unfairly, given the hugely different circumstances and 20 years) been relegated them to the category of "Speakers many people like but I do not". If others can chime in about the E60s, given my situation, let me know!

The E40s should probably still be in the hunt, but I am having a hard time finding places that would take them back after purchase. Also, I figured the dual 4" of the Ascends (even sealed) probably beats the single 4.5" ported woofer of the E40s.
I will be happy for you, with whatever choice you make - and I do
understand certain budget restrictions.

This is a different type of Boston speakers, compared to the ones
in the past - they are also more high end. We all, may hear things
differently - however, the E60 and E40 do not sound airy or artificial
to me. They can throw a good full soundstage, within their radiation
pattern. They are open, transparant and dynamic, with good extension
and depth > and are still focused with a good central image. This is
how they sound and perform to me - I do not quarantee that you will
feel the same way. Also there will be a compromise, when you place
them in your restricted setup. To me, Boston really stepped it up with
the E and VS series. I am hard to please, and I really like them.

AC4L, has a return policy.
DiscountJungles on Amazon does have a return policy - however, may be
with a 15% restocking fee.

Enjoy your adventure, and good luck.

Last edited:
A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
I had the Ascend HTM-200SE at one point... And I like the Absolute Zero better, but just my preference.

I think the Absolute Zero's are a bit better balanced, whereas the HTM-200SE sounded a little bright to me.

I just picked up a pair of Boston E40's yesterday, and so far, they sound like winners to me. Need to listen a bit more, and maybe directly compare them to the Absolute Zero's (while I still have them)... but so far, I like what I'm hearing.

A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
AC4L, has a return policy.
DiscountJungles on Amazon does have a return policy - however, may be
with a 15% restocking fee.

Enjoy your adventure, and good luck.
I'm pretty sure AC4L has a restocking fee as well.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm pretty sure AC4L has a restocking fee as well.
Yea, I just read that - it does say possible in one area > and subject to,
or may be subject to, in other areas.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
A 9" deep speaker is tough to wall mount, too, bu the way.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Did you come to that conclusion by listening to them both side by side? Or a review or something?
No reader, or magazine reviews - I own the E60, and use to own the
Classic Two, and other NHT speakers - and a former owner of the E40
speakers. For me, they sound more realistic and natural. I hear more
detail, definition and depth with the Bostons - and the imaging, along
with the soundstage > draws me more into the event/presentation. I
am drawn more to the source, and less distracted by the speakers.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
Interesting, as resolution and imaging have always been the absolute standout qualities of NHT speakers. I will need to see if I can find a set of the E60 or E40 to listen to.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis