Ascend HTM-200 SE vs Behringer Truth B2030P. FIGHT!

K

klaberte

Enthusiast
I am looking for a pair of smaller bookshelf speakers that will be placed close to the wall (so no rear porting). These will go on either side of a wall mounted TV in a family room.

Here are two strong contenders.

Ascend HTM-200 SE
Behringer Truth B2030P

I have not heard either, but am leaning towards the Ascends, due to reputation and smaller size (yet able to reach my 80 Hz crossover to my sub, which I will also have). I know the Behringer's were designed for near-field monitoring, but have read good reviews about them in this more general application (especially with some minor mods).

I know I can order the Ascends and try them at home. I could probably do the same with the Behringers, if I can find a shop with a no-hassle return policy.

Still, I'd like to hear what this community thinks about this match up.

Thanks!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The first question is: what are your main speakers? You should be using something that blends with those, ideally the same family of speaker.

I think both will be pushing it with an 80Hz x-over. "Meets" your x-over is not a complete picture. A speaker needs to cover a fair amount below that x-over point. Meaning a bookshelf realistically needs to cover to roughly 50-60Hz when using an 80Hz x-over, since there will be some sound all the way down to about 40Hz. A friend had his CBM170SEs mounted on brackets on the wall and plugged the ports and they worked just fine like that. You lose some extension and sensitivity that way, but they still sounded very good.

If you care about appearance, the Behringers don't come with grilles, so how you see them in the pictures, is exactly how they are.

K

klaberte

Enthusiast
These two speakers will be the mains. I haven't chosen a subwoofer yet, but will likely get a sealed SVS. So, this will be a 2.1 system. No need to consider blending with other speakers in the room.

I note that, according to Ascend, they were specifically designed to be cross-overed at 80 Hz.

ahblaza

ahblaza

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am looking for a pair of smaller bookshelf speakers that will be placed close to the wall (so no rear porting). These will go on either side of a wall mounted TV in a family room.

Here are two strong contenders.

Ascend HTM-200 SE
Behringer Truth B2030P

I have not heard either, but am leaning towards the Ascends, due to reputation and smaller size (yet able to reach my 80 Hz crossover to my sub, which I will also have). I know the Behringer's were designed for near-field monitoring, but have read good reviews about them in this more general application (especially with some minor mods).

I know I can order the Ascends and try them at home. I could probably do the same with the Behringers, if I can find a shop with a no-hassle return policy.

Still, I'd like to hear what this community thinks about this match up.

Thanks!
KLA, the 200's would be my choice if I was deciding on the two models you are considering, they have mounting holes pre-drilled that can be used with Ascend omnimount 20 brackets which will place the speakers 3" from wall. They can be crossed at 80 Hz. but there is a lot of info below that 80 Hz that the speakers will be called upon to deliver, you may want to consider the 170's which are I believe $50 more but can handle the lower frequencies required.They are a bit more $ than the 2030's but well worth it, I can attest to the Ascends quality and sound and very liberal return policy. I don't think you will be dissappointed, they are rear ported but 3" clearance from wall and crossed at 80 Hz will work fine, you can also plug the ports without much compromize and they are also pre-drilled for easy mounting, I have the 170's and they are amazing speakers for the $ and play much bigger than they should, Hope this helps.
Cheers Jeff

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, I thought when you said wall mounted, they were going to be surrounds. Yes, I'd step to the 170SE also. Very nice speakers.

If you look in the deals section here, I'd also HIGHLY recommend the NHT Classic Two, which are on sale now. The Two will be comparable to the 170SEs, are sealed, have built in mounting points and are on sale right now.

http://www.nhthifi.com/Two-Black?sc=12&category=3772

Even on sale, they are a bit more than the 170SEs, but also meet more of your requirements. If you want smaller, the Absolute Zeros are available at a decent price and there are also a pair of them on sale here in the classifieds for a good price.

Last edited:
K

klaberte

Enthusiast
I should have mentioned that I already have a pair of the older version of the NHT superones, and my brother-in-law has a pair of superzeros. Those will also be compared to whatever I audition.

For reasons of WAF, I need to have these sit on a fireplace hearth which is 9" deep. Please don't debate me on this here. I have discussed this in another thread:

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/79720-domesticating-former-bachelor-audiophile.html

The bottom line being, I need to consider only speakers with a *front* no further than 9" from the wall. This means either a sealed or front-ported 9" speaker, or a rear-ported speaker that will work with very little breathing room.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
That's a great deal on the NHT Classic Two, on amazon they are selling one speaker for the same price of the sale. I wonder If they have a 30 day trial? Do you own them JG? If so how do they compare to the Zeros/Superones? I've been wanting to hear NHT speakers for a while now...

K

klaberte

Enthusiast
[I thought I posted a reply, but don't see it. I'll repost now, and delete if this is a double post]

I actually have a pair of NHT superones, and my brother-in-law can lend me his pair of superzeros. Those will be auditioned along side the Ascends or others recommended here.

These have to sit on a 9" deep mantel. I know, not ideal. You can pile on in telling me how stupid I am in my other thread :p

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/79720-domesticating-former-bachelor-audiophile.html

So, while I'd love to have the 170 SE, they are too deep, AND rear ported. So a no go.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think that pricing is still each. Order on Amazon and still comes from NHT as far as I know, which is why the same price :)

I don't own them, but have heard them many times. I was prepared to go with NHTs until I heard the speakers I have now. Both the local stores that carried them are gone now though. Fortunatey, NHT itself also about 30 min away for me.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I've been wanting to hear NHT speakers for a while now...
The Classic Two is good, and good for music and movies. The speaker
is neither polite or aggressive sounding.They have good bass, with a
nice balanced midrange and treble. The bass is not boomy, or mushy
sounding - they do have a clean, detailed sound > with good imaging
and a nice soundstage.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Damn I thought It said a pair. It I had the money I'd get them. Maybe If I get a decent pair of Superones for $100.00 I'd get those in a second.:D

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
The Classic Two and SuperOne are pretty big speakers and would be difficult to wall-mount.

Of the two in the OP I'd be inclined to go for the HTM-200.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Z but the lowest I've seen them go for is $130-140.00 on ebay. I'm guessing they sound the same as the classics, except for the bass. Beautiful cabinets on those Superones darnit.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I picked up a pair of SuperOnes a month or so ago for $100 shipped, which was knocked down to about $50 after they showed up with some superficial damage.

Keep looking and you'll find a good deal.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Lol J that's awesome. What was it a small scratch? Of the NHT you have which one has the clearest details?

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
A couple of grill posts were sheared off, but they stick on just fine with a tiny bit of Blu-tac. Can't even tell unless you actually take the grill off. A couple of corners were also very slightly damaged, but not too badly. The packaging was pretty poor considering I spent like $50 on shipping.

I have a pair of SuperZero 2.0s, a pair of original SuperZeroes, and a pair of SuperOnes. They are all so similar in clarity and detail as to be pretty indistinguishable. Listening to music I can't really tell them apart. For HT duties though the SuperZeroes have a little bit of a tightness to them, especially in dynamic passages, that makes them feel a little constrained. This is absent on the SuperOnes. The SuperOnes are open and don't sound like they're trying as hard for movie mixes. I'm not sure if a better amplifier would change that, but that's what I've noticed.

They are astonishingly good music speakers. I listened to a bunch of NHT speakers almost two decades ago in a HiFi shop, so I sorta knew what to expect. I knew they'd be awesome with vocal music, singer-songwriter stuff, etc... what has shocked me in the home though is how damn good they are at rock and metal. Some of my old Iron Maiden and Metallica CDs (pre-loudness wars pressings) are just so freaking good.

They (the SuperOnes) are way, way too large to directly wall mount.

If I were looking for HT-only speakers on a similar budget right now I'd be looking at SVS, Ascend, and Infinity.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
J you got me salivating here.:p I'm thinking I'd get the Super for music only and use my new Klipsch VB-15(Pretty good after getting the right placement I'm shocked by them.) for movies.

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
I should note that I do run them with a high quality sealed sub, and they need it. Even the SuperOnes.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis