Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL tower FS

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Why do you think you made the decision to go with the A45's? I hope you don't read this as me being derisive of you, because that is the last thing I would intend. You did this right and setup and compared these speakers in your home. IIRC, you did not rush it. I know you are a careful and experienced listener and just want to understand your thoughts on how and why things went wrong so we can learn from that!
Don't get me wrong, I love my Canton's more than the Ascends. The balance and overall sound stage is better to me. I do really like the tone and clarity of ribbons.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I just placed an order for a set of Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeters, and a Sierra Duo LCR center (first center I’ve ever had). My ‘old’ 683 S2s should work great in my basement.

This is more than I’ve ever spent on speakers and I really hope they work as well for me as they do for others.
They will. Ascends are fantastic. I always suffer from wanting something different. I could live with the Sierra towers and a sub for the rest of my music journey.

M

Mark6088

Enthusiast
I just placed an order for a set of Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeters, and a Sierra Duo LCR center (first center I’ve ever had). My ‘old’ 683 S2s should work great in my basement.

This is more than I’ve ever spent on speakers and I really hope they work as well for me as they do for others.
I also just placed an order for the Sierra Towers w/Raal upgrade a couple days ago. Like you, I also read every word on the Ascend Acoustics Tower Forum and it convinced me as well. This, after having about 4 or 5 different brands of tower speakers on the table. Am planning on ordering the Horizon Center w/Raal a few months down the road. I sure do hope they meet my expectations, which are very high! Are you enjoying yours so far?

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
I also just placed an order for the Sierra Towers w/Raal upgrade a couple days ago. Like you, I also read every word on the Ascend Acoustics Tower Forum and it convinced me as well. This, after having about 4 or 5 different brands of tower speakers on the table. Am planning on ordering the Horizon Center w/Raal a few months down the road. I sure do hope they meet my expectations, which are very high! Are you enjoying yours so far?
Yes, I am enjoying them. A few words that come to mind: transparent, subtle, accurate, and liquid. They do what they’re supposed to do and get out of the way of my music.

For my tastes they definitely need a sub, just like my old similar sized B&Ws. I like earth shaking bass and I’d not want anything less than my dual SVS SB-3000 config in my small living room.

Last edited:
M

Mark6088

Enthusiast
Yes, I am enjoying them. A few words that come to mind: transparent, subtle, accurate, and liquid. They do what they’re supposed to do and get out of the way of my music.

For my tastes they definitely need a sub, just like my old similar sized B&Ws. I like earth shaking bass and I’d not want anything less than my dual SVS SB-3000 config in my small living room.
My system is very similar to yours in that I have also have dual SVS SB-3000 subs (love them) and dual Outlaw 2200 monoblocks that run my fronts (currently Klipsch RP-280Fs). So, I am not concerned about deep bass or power! Thanks for you impressions on how they sound. I do hope they have those same characteristics in my room. We'll see!

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
My system is very similar to yours in that I have also have dual SVS SB-3000 subs (love them) and dual Outlaw 2200 monoblocks that run my fronts (currently Klipsch RP-280Fs). So, I am not concerned about deep bass or power! Thanks for you impressions on how they sound. I do hope they have those same characteristics in my room. We'll see!
Here’s a fun thread to read regarding the RAAL tweeters that you’ll soon have: http://techtalk.parts-express.com/forum/tech-talk-forum/47218-dave-fabrikant-measures-the-raal-70-20xr?227999-Dave-Fabrikant-measures-the-RAAL-70-20XR=

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I know Dennis has used some of the Fountek ribbons, but eventually switched over to Raals. Can't speak to the reasons, but his own words have been that they are great tweeters. Just short of some very nice Be Tweets, I would say Raals are up among the top. :)
I still find it very amazing that once people hear them, they all act the same way (and I am not very different!); that they would never be able to live without the Raals.
:D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I know Dennis has used some of the Fountek ribbons, but eventually switched over to Raals. Can't speak to the reasons, but his own words have been that they are great tweeters. Just short of some very nice Be Tweets, I would say Raals are up among the top. :)
I still find it very amazing that once people hear them, they all act the same way (and I am not very different!); that they would never be able to live without the Raals.
I have an iteration of the Philharmonitors (Alexis Audio Branded) using the Fountek ribbons.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
IIRC, the Slims had Fountek. Don't recall if the early Phil Towers had Fountek or Aurum Cantus, the early Salk SS 8 used an AC Tweeter.
Now it's all about Raal and Satori Berylliums. :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
How funny is it that 2 months after I posted this, I found a pair of Sierra 2s on Craigslist?
Allowing oneself to see the future as possibility, you are able to create possible futures as easily as painting on a blank canvas!

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I thought that. Until I listened to Canton's ceramic tweeter. I had the LS50, RAAL tower, and the Canton's together. To my ear the Canton's were the sweet spot. Super clear and the Tone on them was perfect. But.... I may have been the whole tower that just worked together to produce what I liked... I do miss my Sierra tower at times and now the new Sierra EX has my attention.

G

gr8eyes

Junior Audioholic
Hi Gentlemen,

It seems the thread has lost a bit of steam so I thought Id resurrect it.

I'm just now starting my journey into audiophiledom and have been reading threads voraciously for 6 months.

My original desire was to put together a 9.2.6 HT system together and thought for some time I would do it with Goldenear reference gear (ie. Reference towers and center with 6 BRX monitors andHTR7 Atmos speakers)

As I began looking I read some great things about Salk Speakers And I'm thinking maybe I should go with a 7.2.4 Salk system using the SS8, 4 BMR monitors for surround and his SS7c for the center. I'll have to do something else for atmos

So my question is for about the same money is which would you chose, the 9.2.6 system from goldenear or the 7.2 4 from Salk

I'm thinking of going with to HSU 15 inch subs

I'm all ears on critiquing my thoughts here or suggestions. Oh and I'm thinking about going with the Monolith 16 channel HTP1 processor with their 7 and 9 Channel Amps.

My room is 18x22 with 9 foot ceilings

Thanks in advance for any responses

Glenn

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Gentlemen,

It seems the thread has lost a bit of steam so I thought Id resurrect it.

I'm just now starting my journey into audiophiledom and have been reading threads voraciously for 6 months.

My original desire was to put together a 9.2.6 HT system together and thought for some time I would do it with Goldenear reference gear (ie. Reference towers and center with 6 BRX monitors andHTR7 Atmos speakers)

As I began looking I read some great things about Salk Speakers And I'm thinking maybe I should go with a 7.2.4 Salk system using the SS8, 4 BMR monitors for surround and his SS7c for the center. I'll have to do something else for atmos

So my question is for about the same money is which would you chose, the 9.2.6 system from goldenear or the 7.2 4 from Salk

I'm thinking of going with to HSU 15 inch subs

I'm all ears on critiquing my thoughts here or suggestions. Oh and I'm thinking about going with the Monolith 16 channel HTP1 processor with their 7 and 9 Channel Amps.

My room is 18x22 with 9 foot ceilings

Thanks in advance for any responses

Glenn
I think you have a wonderful system picked out with both! I'd go with Salk, personally. I've recently been exposed to the RAAL ribbon tweeters and they're pretty amazing. I have the Sierra 2 books (Ascend) right now and should have my towers by the end of the month. They're s'posed to ship next Thursday or Friday!

The Hsu subs you're thinking about, are they ported? I always try to recommend going ported.

G

gr8eyes

Junior Audioholic
Hi Pogre,

Yes they are ported

Noticed the Ascends seem to be built similar to the Salk, at least they use the same ribbons if I'm not mistaken.

In your opinion given all the same speakers , so say the SS8 center and BMR surrounds do you think there is enough audible difference between a 9.2.6 system vs 7.2.4

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hi Pogre,

Yes they are ported

Noticed the Ascends seem to be built similar to the Salk, at least they use the same ribbons if I'm not mistaken.

In your opinion given all the same speakers , so say the SS8 center and BMR surrounds do you think there is enough audible difference between a 9.2.6 system vs 7.2.4
No. I can't imagine needing 15 speakers in a room unless it's truly enormous or a movie theater, lol.

And yes, Ascend uses the same tweeters for their Sierra 2s (64-10, custom), but they use a more robust version (70-20 xram, also custom) in their towers, and that's something I need.

In my opinion 7.2.4 should be plenty for most applications. I firmly believe in quality over quantity and Salk is pretty much top of the mark there. I think you'll find a Salk 7.2.4 system superior to a 9.2.6 Goldenear system. That's where I'd put my money between the 2 and not have much internal debate about it. Salk Sound make some truly special speakers and you picked some good ones.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Selling my mint condition Sierra towers. These have very little time on them. The only cosmetic issue I can find is a small scratch on the top. It’s not through the stain and you have to look at an angle to see it. Small swirl marks on the black bases from dusting. Again very hard to see. Otherwise they are perfect. Asking $2350.00 shipped. I’ll add Pictures below.
You know, I just ordered these. What made you decide to sell them? I wish you still had them available!

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
Hi Pogre,

Yes they are ported

I believe that that the Ascend towers and Salk are very different designs aside from both having the same brand RAAL tweeter. The Salks I’ve seen are a transmission line design, which is completely different than the Ascend towers.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I believe that that the Ascend towers and Salk are very different designs aside from both having the same brand RAAL tweeter. The Salks I’ve seen are a transmission line design, which is completely different than the Ascend towers.
Edit: There are about equal numbers of both ported and transmission line models as well as a few with passive radiators.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis