Ascend Acoustics Sierra RAAL tower FS

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Selling my mint condition Sierra towers. These have very little time on them. The only cosmetic issue I can find is a small scratch on the top. It’s not through the stain and you have to look at an angle to see it. Small swirl marks on the black bases from dusting. Again very hard to see. Otherwise they are perfect. Asking $2350.00 shipped. I’ll add Pictures below.

Attachments

Last edited:
ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Update... Notice a small spot on the upper side that is missing some of the Stain. Have no idea how this would happen. In ay case I will have to drop the price down a bit as these are not considered as clean as listed. Price drop to $1900.00

Attachments

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
Selling my mint condition Sierra towers. These have very little time on them. The only cosmetic issue I can find is a small scratch on the top. It’s not through the stain and you have to look at an angle to see it. Small swirl marks on the black bases from dusting. Again very hard to see. Otherwise they are perfect. Asking $2350.00 shipped. I’ll add Pictures below.
I‘ve been researching these speakers and would appreciate knowing why you chose to sell them.

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I‘ve been researching these speakers and would appreciate knowing why you chose to sell them.
I wanted a tower with more bass output to use without a sub. I regret doing so as I miss that RAAl ribbon clarity.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I wanted a tower with more bass output to use without a sub. I regret doing so as I miss that RAAl ribbon clarity.
I think I’ve seen it mentioned before, but what did you switch too that had lower extension than the low 30s?

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I think I’ve seen it mentioned before, but what did you switch too that had lower extension than the low 30s?
Currently using the Canton A45 Anniversary towers. Buttttt. I added a sub to them, LOL... Just couldn't get the low end in this room that I liked without one.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I hear ya! I know with my rig, the same was said about not needing a sub. And though true to a certain extent, even the Phil3s that are F3:25Hz still benefit greatly from my X-13s. :)

I've heard it said that Dave is working on an upgraded tower and am curious if it will employ the woofers he's using on the new S2... the Seas Curv cone mounted on their Extreme-class W motor. People that have heard both say the newer S2 truly rivals the BMR's bass response, if not possibly besting it. If he redid the Sierra Tower to drop, possibly, into the Upper 20s while maintaining the accuracy and flat FR both he and Dennis are known for.... That becomes a very formidable tower!
As it stands, I still feel bad a little that I didn't get to hear those before I bought in to Dennis' gear. I will right that someday; soon, I hope!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I hear ya! I know with my rig, the same was said about not needing a sub. And though true to a certain extent, even the Phil3s that are F3:25Hz still benefit greatly from my X-13s. :)

I've heard it said that Dave is working on an upgraded tower and am curious if it will employ the woofers he's using on the new S2... the Seas Curv cone mounted on their Extreme-class W motor. People that have heard both say the newer S2 truly rivals the BMR's bass response, if not possibly besting it. If he redid the Sierra Tower to drop, possibly, into the Upper 20s while maintaining the accuracy and flat FR both he and Dennis are known for.... That becomes a very formidable tower!
As it stands, I still feel bad a little that I didn't get to hear those before I bought in to Dennis' gear. I will right that someday; soon, I hope!
I wholeheartedly agree

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
Yep. I spoke with Dave many times wanting a larger woofer on my Ascend towers. As it stood.... He said there was no way to make it better. Now look at what we have. An S2.... And it most likely will be on the new Tower.... DAM IT!!!!! I need another RAAL in my system. I loved the clarity of them..

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Only thing I've heard beat a Raal is a good Be Tweet. The one from SB Acoustics that Jim uses in his designs is phenomenal. I have two TL Be Tweets that Dennis has said are among the best he'd ever worked with, but TL had a problem and sort of went under. I'm going to build with them, no doubt, and I have a line on a few more which would allow me to perhaps do a matching 5-channel bed layer.
I digress.
Sounds like you know where to come home to when the time comes! :)
Trust me when I say, if the Be Tweets don't work out in my builds, I'll be crash coursing on how to use the Raals!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Currently using the Canton A45 Anniversary towers.
I need another RAAL in my system. I loved the clarity of them..
Why do you think you made the decision to go with the A45's? I hope you don't read this as me being derisive of you, because that is the last thing I would intend. You did this right and setup and compared these speakers in your home. IIRC, you did not rush it. I know you are a careful and experienced listener and just want to understand your thoughts on how and why things went wrong so we can learn from that!

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic
I just placed an order for a set of Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeters, and a Sierra Duo LCR center (first center I’ve ever had). My ‘old’ 683 S2s should work great in my basement.

This is more than I’ve ever spent on speakers and I really hope they work as well for me as they do for others.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just placed an order for a set of Sierra Towers with RAAL tweeters, and a Sierra Duo LCR center (first center I’ve ever had). My ‘old’ 683 S2s should work great in my basement.

This is more than I’ve ever spent on speakers and I really hope they work as well for me as they do for others.
Based on the impressions I see about these speakers I think your buyer's remorse will melt away once you get everything dialed in. That usually works for me too!

John Galt

John Galt

Junior Audioholic

I heard that Dave thinks the tower is great as it is and they don’t have any big changes planned. New products as needed but he has a ‘If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ attitude on most of their products.

Of course this might be what they tell everyone who’s on the phone about to place an order

I think the fact that the towers are almost 10 years old, without any significant changes, tells us something...maybe not.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis