as if COVID wasn't bad enough ............

Status
Not open for further replies.
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Seriously.

The Union army was huge at the end of the war. Unlike the attempts during the War of 1812, it truly would have been just "a matter of marching". The Fenian raids, the Alaska purchase, cancellation of the Canadian–American Reciprocity Treaty and the Manifest Destiny doctrine were all contributing factors to Canadian confederation. They certainly weren't the only factors, but they were not insignificant ones.
I have always thought Manifest Destiny is one of the most stupid concepts ever concocted.

I would consider the Fenian Raids to be more of an Irish vs British issue, in light of the way England has treated the Irish and Scots. Well, and just about everyone else they encountered and subsequently beat to a pulp.

highfigh

highfigh

Well, the heat is working its magic- some of the protesters are fighting at a gas station

EDIT- they were arguing, not punching. The 911 callers described it as fighting.

I heard an officer that he and some protesters agreed to keep the protest on the streets and not go onto peoples' lawns. Some of the protesters have been cleaning up the damage before heading out for the marches. They're less centralized tonight- marches in many more parts of the city and suburbs.

highfigh

highfigh

In light of the fact that an off-duty Milwaukee cop beat someone to death at his house a few weeks ago, I'm impressed by the way the protests and night time activities have been more peaceful than I would have thought. Hell, rioters burned their own neighborhood a few years ago after a cop shot & killed someone- both were Black and they knew each other. The cop was later arrested and convicted of sexual abuse after a man he met at a bar reported that he woke up to the officer pooching him. If this wasn't uncommon for the cop, I have to wonder if the kid who died may have known about it. To be fair, many of the rioters came here from Chicago.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Ok, as I stated on page 1.....'as if COVID wasn't bad enough' we now have a Tropical storm brewing down in the Gulf, first time in recorded history of a third named storm this early in the season. I'm thinking the man above is really pissed ..........

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Back in the 90's I rented a place from a sweet old lady who was part of John Calhoun's family tree (can't remember the exact relation now). I had seen and been around rich people before, but she was the first (maybe only?) one I had ever really gotten to know. A few times she actually had me over to her house and we had incredible conversations. It was just a weird random friendship. But I remember her telling me that in her family were handwritten papers by John Calhoun decrying the cotton gin and the threat it posed to the "Southern way of life." Freeing the slaves they already had.. and then being forced to buy machines that did the same work? It was a major factor stoking the flames of the Civil War.

I miss ol' Claire... also the first person I ever met with a pet goose. :D

Very interesting story.

The comment about the cotton gin was like the opposition to railroads in the south. The wealthy plantation owners who had land along the Mississippi River or it's tributaries were dead opposed to building railroads in the deep south. It would allow plantation owners further away from the river to ship their cotton without paying them for river access. That kind of free-market competition would lower the price of cotton.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ok, as I stated on page 1.....'as if COVID wasn't bad enough' we now have a Tropical storm brewing down in the Gulf, first time in recorded history of a third named storm this early in the season. I'm thinking the man above is really pissed ..........
At least if a tropical storm hits the looting and destruction might stop in the areas it hits. So, sort of positive?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Ok, as I stated on page 1.....'as if COVID wasn't bad enough' we now have a Tropical storm brewing down in the Gulf, first time in recorded history of a third named storm this early in the season.
Let's see here… third storm of the season … Tropical Storm Corona?
I'm thinking the man above is really pissed ..........
What would be the warning signs that the man above is really pissed?
  • Plague √
  • Locusts √ (in Africa)
  • Tropical storms √
  • Floods √ (lost count how many we've recently had)
  • Forest fires √ (too many to count)
  • Global Warming/Climate Change √
  • Earthquake ?
  • Volcano ?
  • all we lack is Zombie Apocalypse
  • Asteroid Impact ? (suggested by John Parks) (OK, neither Zombie Apocalypse nor Asteroid Impact are classic Old Testament warning signs, but these days are hardly classic Old Testament days are they?)
… Wait just one minute… Last October the Washington Nationals won the World Series, the first time a Washington baseball team has won since 1924!

It's for certain now, we're all doomed :eek: :oops: :eek:.

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Hey, I’ve still got Asteroid Impact on my 2020 Bingo card. Fingers crossed!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The officers had no weapons in hand and in fact, Chauvin had one hand in his pocket- that's a clear sign that he felt no threat from the crowd.
That really stood out to me! Why would anyone put there hand in their pocket like that when holding someone down.
I have to say that I wonder if that F'ed up excuse for a human being put his hand in his pocket to hide his erection.

Last edited:
Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
That really stood out to me! Why would anyone put there hand in their pocket like that when holding someone down.
I have to say that I have to wonder if that F'ed up excuse for a human being put his hand in his pocket to hide his erection.
Ouch!

highfigh

highfigh

I have to say that I have to wonder if that F'ed up excuse for a human being put his hand in his pocket to hide his erection.
Not sure he could reach it from there.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I have always thought Manifest Destiny is one of the most stupid concepts ever concocted.

I would consider the Fenian Raids to be more of an Irish vs British issue, in light of the way England has treated the Irish and Scots. Well, and just about everyone else they encountered and subsequently beat to a pulp.
Stupid or not, government policy or cultural mindset, Manifest Destiny certainly lead to a massive expansion of the United States. The Fenian Raids were, indeed, an Irish - British issue. However, that distinction tended to get lost when invaders came across the border.

highfigh

highfigh

Stupid or not, government policy or cultural mindset, Manifest Destiny certainly lead to a massive expansion of the United States. The Fenian Raids were, indeed, an Irish - British issue. However, that distinction tended to get lost when invaders came across the border.
I would argue that the expansion could have been accomplished in far better ways. However, coming from and descended mainly from European countries, the attitude that the World is theirs for the taking is understandable since European colonialism had been carried out for hundreds of years, by then.

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
That's not what I was asking Dan to elaborate on, but rather his comments about them applying to the "opposite end of the spectrum." I certainly hope that he isn't drinking the koolaid about the arson and looting being solely antifa or leftists when evidence indicates otherwise.
I really don't know who is is responsible for the looting but i'll steal a phrase from our idiot in chief and say that there are BAD people on both sides likely responsible, mostly young males white and black. I think the data for who is responsible simply isn't reliable so I make no judgements. However, the protests were largely started by the left (the peaceful ones) and it is fair to assume that some of the rioters are on the left. I refuse to paint with any broad brushes. I merely wanted to point out something a little ironic about masks and protests. I am certainly not comparing the current protesters to the Klan though I can see how it might have been taken that way.

highfigh

highfigh

I really don't know who is is responsible for the looting but i'll steal a phrase from our idiot in chief and say that there are BAD people on both sides likely responsible, mostly young males white and black. I think the data for who is responsible simply isn't reliable so I make no judgements. However, the protests were largely started by the left (the peaceful ones) and it is fair to assume that some of the rioters are on the left. I refuse to paint with any broad brushes. I merely wanted to point out something a little ironic about masks and protests. I am certainly not comparing the current protesters to the Klan though I can see how it might have been taken that way.
People who want their identity to remain hidden wear masks or, now that everyone has a video camera, turn away from the camera, as I have seen in many news report videos. To me, that shows a lack of conviction- in the past, they were seen on video and when arrested, were punished. Now, we have hundreds of thousands rioting and it's almost impossible to know who they are. Fortunately, most of it has done less damage than large-scale rioting in the past. Too many deaths in the last few days, though.

kystorm

kystorm

Audioholic
Maybe. Seems that approach isn't working particularly well. The protests will go away...probably. The prejudice/racism inherent especially in the white house hopefully in a couple a months will be gone, too. Long term, people need to get their shite together on this point.
With all do respect, the racial crap has been emanating from the libs in congress and from the likes of cnn and msnbc for awhile and especially after trump was elected. There is an agenda being pushed and it's
not an agenda with our best interest in mind.
Maybe. Seems that approach isn't working particularly well. The protests will go away...probably. The prejudice/racism inherent especially in the white house hopefully in a couple a months will be gone, too. Long term, people need to get their shite together on this point.
So trump hates black people?

Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
Wow, you really just jogged my brain!

Back in the 90's I rented a place from a sweet old lady who was part of John Calhoun's family tree (can't remember the exact relation now). I had seen and been around rich people before, but she was the first (maybe only?) one I had ever really gotten to know. A few times she actually had me over to her house and we had incredible conversations. It was just a weird random friendship. But I remember her telling me that in her family were handwritten papers by John Calhoun decrying the cotton gin and the threat it posed to the "Southern way of life." Freeing the slaves they already had.. and then being forced to buy machines that did the same work? It was a major factor stoking the flames of the Civil War.

I miss ol' Claire... also the first person I ever met with a pet goose. :D

Interesting point of view about the cotton gin. Something else John C Calhoun was wrong about. The cotton gin which separated the fibers from the seed, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_gin,
had been around for a long time but was not usable with the short staple cotton grown in much of the south. The newer cotton engine (gin) of the late 18th century worked on the short staple cotton. By reducing the manual labor reduced the price fell but demand exploded. Thus the price went up dramatically. The Napoleonic wars had suppressed international trade, for our uses especially the US and England. Afterwards industrialization in England and the US north created huge demand for cotton. US production of cotton increased tenfold from 1800 to 1820. The settlement of Alabama especially in the 1830s made farmable land that could produce 800-1000 pounds of cotton per acre compared to 300 in back country South Carolina. Put another way in 1800 the US produced 9% of the world's cotton. In 1850 it produced 68% of a total three times as large. (Source: What Hath God Wrought: The Transformation of America 1815-1848. William Walker Howe, part of the excellent Oxford History of The United States Series).

Thus it is clear that the cotton gin enabled the slave holding way of life, despite Senator, VP etc. Calhoun's protestations to the opposite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis