Aretai Contra 100S Bookshelf Speaker Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Aretai Contra 100S is a 2.5-way bookshelf design featuring a 1.75" ring radiator tweeter housed in a custom-built waveguide horn that sits on top of the speaker. Each speaker also includes a pair of 6" forward and rear facing drivers to give them more punch than their diminutive size suggests.

Aretai.png

At $9,900/pair, they aren't inexpensive and in fact, you could get incredibly competent fullrange towers at or less than this asking price. Does this mean, the Aretai 100S aren't worth it? Based on Don Dunn's listening experience, you may be surprised to find out just how much he enjoyed these speakers.

Read: Aretai Contra 100S Bookshelf Speaker Review

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
The Aretai Contra 100S is a 2.5-way bookshelf design featuring a 1.75" ring radiator tweeter housed in a custom-built waveguide horn that sits on top of the speaker. Each speaker also includes a pair of 6" forward and rear facing drivers to give them more punch than their diminutive size suggests.

View attachment 70219
At $9,900/pair, they aren't inexpensive and in fact, you could get incredibly competent fullrange towers at or less than this asking price. Does this mean, the Aretai 100S aren't worth it? Based on Don Dunn's listening experience, you may be surprised to find out just how much he enjoyed these speakers.

Read: Aretai Contra 100S Bookshelf Speaker Review
That was a very clever idea to reduce cabinet height. So what they have done is to use the rear driver for BSC correction of the step response. Since a speaker is a monopole (omnidirectional) below the transition frequency it does not matter which way that driver faces.

That was a clever idea and valid. I don't see a port so I assume this is sealed design.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
That was a very clever idea to reduce cabinet height. So what they have done is to use the rear driver for BSC correction of the step response. Since a speaker is a monopole (omnidirectional) below the transition frequency it does not matter which way that driver faces.

That was a clever idea and valid. I don't see a port so I assume this is sealed design.
Yes they are sealed. More specs here:

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Yes they are sealed. More specs here:
Their specs as written are not very helpful.
Given the sensitivity of 87 db. and the size of the cabinet, I am going to estimate F3 to be 60 Hz give or take a few Hz either way. That would make the -12 db. point about 48Hz. So I bet it is around 24 db. down at their specified 32 Hz. That would not be out of line for a sealed design of that size. One thing to remember is that adding drivers does not increase bass extension, only power handling.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Interesting speaker, I suspect with the proper amplification and combined with competent sub(or two) they would be stellar in a small to medium sized room !

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Interesting speaker, I suspect with the proper amplification and combined with competent sub(or two) they would be stellar in a small to medium sized room !
Yes, I suspect an 80 Hz crossover point would be about optimal. It will have second order roll off, so sub integration will be better than if it was a ported design. So if used with a standard AVR or AVP, the crossover will make a symmetrical composite acoustic/electrical crossover. I have to say this does look like a sensibly conceived product, which unfortunately is unusual. I would like to see measurements though, as the "Devil is in the details."

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
You must mean European sized rooms! :p

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis