Arendal Sound 1961 Tower Speaker Review

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
The Arendal 1961s are definitely first-rate tower loudspeakers by any standard and all the more remarkable when one takes into account their reasonable $1,800/pair price and modest size. How did they measure up to our demanding review criteria and measurements? Our own Steve Feinstein (40+ year industry veteran) gives a detailed analysis of these speakers along with insights only someone with manufacturing and product development could appreciate. Steve will tell you why he thinks the Arendal 1961 sets a new standard for floorstanding speakers around $2000/pr.

arendalvslegacy.jpg

In this review, Steve compares his much larger and more expensive Legacy Signature SE speakers to the Arendal Sound 1961 towers to get an idea of just how good these overachievers are.

Read: Arendal Sound 1961 Tower Review

Last edited:
N

Nondemo01

Junior Audioholic
Great write up Steve and Audioholics! (Gene, how many total words? More than James?? Lol. ALL GREAT! )
Been looking at Arendal's stuff for a long time. The fact that you get such a high level of build quality for this price AND have them sound great cannot be overstated! Can't keep saying it enough: 10 year warranty! Even though those new Martin Logan's look awesome and probably sound great, I can't get passed the build quality in the Arendal lines. 1723s vs Motion XT F100 coming to my living room soon!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The Arendal 1961s are definitely first-rate tower loudspeakers by any standard and all the more remarkable when one takes into account their reasonable $1,800/pair price and modest size. How did they measure up to our demanding review criteria and measurements? Our own Steve Feinstein (40+ year industry veteran) gives a detailed analysis of these speakers along with insights only someone with manufacturing and product development could appreciate. Steve will tell you why he thinks the Arendal 1961 sets a new standard for floorstanding speakers around $2000/pr.

View attachment 60366
In this review, Steve compares his much larger and more expensive Legacy Signature SE speakers to the Arendal Sound 1961 towers to get an idea of just how good these overachievers are.

Read: Arendal Sound 1961 Tower Review
Great article! Well done! If they sound that good without a sub I wonder if good integration with a good sub could push they're performance up a notch.

@gene and Steve could integration with a sub eliminate that very slight boxiness that you occasionally heard? Also since they are equable could you eq that out if you needed to?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nice article. If I were shopping, Arendal would be on the list for sure.

Laika2

Laika2

Enthusiast
After about 20 mains and centers over the years (many double the price point of Arednals, some 3 x higher)this was my endpoint, have 1723 THX Center and Towers, 1723 THX Rear surrounds, 1723 THX S Towers and S THX Center. Can't say enough great things about them. They do nothing perfect, one would have to spend far more BUT they do everything with excellence, so well balanced any flaws are so minor you really don't notice them. Most speakers in this and higher price ranges I could always single out a flaw I planed to eliminate in my next purchase, one that bugged me with certain material. That has not happened in the two years I have owned these (two setups). The only downside with some music is they do not hide a flawed recording, they don't have that midrange hump that makes even flawed recordings sound good but the upside is most music of all types sound fantastic, the close your eyes and you are there feeling. Darn speakers made me dig out my LP's that have been in storage for 25 years and buy a turntable. Old recordings sound great, I'm hearing such clarity and solid bass that I am enjoying details in music I have never heard before even though I listens to the LP/CD 100's of times. (Background In 4 months Triton 1Rs' to Revel 208's to Arendal 1723 THX Towers and centers,)

S

sicride

Audiophyte
Why are you comparing this product to the RBH-55E? According to RBH's website that product has been discontinued since 2017! Which also means that MSRP of $2,000 is meaningless even if they were still in production.

Laika2

Laika2

Enthusiast
Why are you comparing this product to the RBH-55E? According to RBH's website that product has been discontinued since 2017! Which also means that MSRP of $2,000 is meaningless even if they were still in production.
MSRP would be higher now and he's just comparing what has flowed through his living room. Often helps narrow down choices that match the sound signature one wants.

""""
the Paradigm Prestige 75F $3000/pr. and most recently, the RBH Impression Series R-55E, $2000/pr. All of these speakers are similar in size, price and general acoustic quality. .....

But they’re not the same. They have their individual character, their strengths and weaknesses, and their particular colorations. Now along comes the Arendal 1961 Tower. How does it stack up, both in an absolute sense considered on its own and in comparison to other speakers of similar size/price that I’ve heard?""""

Last edited:
D

dutchholic

Junior Audioholic
Looks like a great speaker and I would even say: a great speaker brand for it's pricepoint.

But with all due respect, this review disappoints me. I would really like to see (distortion) measurements as detailed as possible. Subjective reviews can be found everywhere, independent measurements not.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Looks like a great speaker and I would even say: a great speaker brand for it's pricepoint.

But with all due respect, this review disappoints me. I would really like to see (distortion) measurements as detailed as possible. Subjective reviews can be found everywhere, independent measurements not.
As he said at the end of his review Arendal publishes measurements of they're speakers. And since @shadyJ has reviewed the THX line and his measurements matched Arendals own measurements. I'd imagine due to the reviewers age that he decided hoisting those towers up in the air to measure would not be necessary with all the data that was already there.

I can understand the choices he made for the review in thar type of scenario.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
You Sir have a gifted and fun way with the written word. Arendal is fast becoming a go to brand for trusted quality that receives excellent professional reviews.

D

dutchholic

Junior Audioholic
As he said at the end of his review Arendal publishes measurements of they're speakers. And since @shadyJ has reviewed the THX line and his measurements matched Arendals own measurements. I'd imagine due to the reviewers age that he decided hoisting those towers up in the air to measure would not be necessary with all the data that was already there.

I can understand the choices he made for the review in thar type of scenario.
I was excited to see this review to see how they perform in the distortion department at certain dB's to see if they are suited for both music and movie watching at loud dB's.

Proper distortion measurements are not provided by Arendal to my knowledge and for me personally it are one of the most important measurements besides frequency response on/off axis(which is provided by Arendal).

Why? Because both of these subjects are really audible and can make or break the sound of a speaker. The lowest possible distortion and the most neutral possible frequency response on and off axis is what I'm always looking for.

But good news guys, I have an update regarding this: at Google I found some great distortion and other measurements of this speaker. Looks great for it's pricerange so it's a nice advertisement for Arendal. So if you guys are looking for an addition to this nice review with proper measurements, just Google it :)

N

nigio

Enthusiast
After about 20 mains and centers over the years (many double the price point of Arednals, some 3 x higher)this was my endpoint, have 1723 THX Center and Towers, 1723 THX Rear surrounds, 1723 THX S Towers and S THX Center. Can't say enough great things about them. They do nothing perfect, one would have to spend far more BUT they do everything with excellence, so well balanced any flaws are so minor you really don't notice them. Most speakers in this and higher price ranges I could always single out a flaw I planed to eliminate in my next purchase, one that bugged me with certain material. That has not happened in the two years I have owned these (two setups). The only downside with some music is they do not hide a flawed recording, they don't have that midrange hump that makes even flawed recordings sound good but the upside is most music of all types sound fantastic, the close your eyes and you are there feeling. Darn speakers made me dig out my LP's that have been in storage for 25 years and buy a turntable. Old recordings sound great, I'm hearing such clarity and solid bass that I am enjoying details in music I have never heard before even though I listens to the LP/CD 100's of times. (Background In 4 months Triton 1Rs' to Revel 208's to Arendal 1723 THX Towers and centers,)
How close do you think 1723 vs 1723s are in performance (dynamics,clarity etc) ? I am trying to decide between 1723 monitors + center vs 1723 S monitors + center.

Laika2

Laika2

Enthusiast
They sound very much the same other than bass, I am talking S Towers, Non S THX towers and on THX Monitor so, I have no experience with THX S Monitors.

There should be some clues below BUT so far my favorite setup is THX S Towers and Non S THX full sized center for all but large rooms, towers are clearer as they have a midrange more or less (2.5 way vs 2 way). Looking at the towers (S) and the monitors (Full, non S) you are 500 bucks short, to me this is a no Brainer if you can budget it. Of course we are talking my room and my ears ( and REW). If you disagree, you can ship them back on their dime within 60 days, only downside. Unboxing, reboxing and maybe stairs.

If you must be close to a wall, say 2 feet and have a small room room gain on the S's. is easy to deal with, not as easy with the 1723 but can be done with crossovers and a bit of work.

After playing with them for a year that seems to be the rule, small room and/or close to the walls, S, big room, can pull them away from the walls, non S.

In a small room you will get all the bass you want from the S's. The non S tend to overload a room at higher volumes.

How close do you think 1723 vs 1723s are in performance (dynamics,clarity etc) ? I am trying to decide between 1723 monitors + center vs 1723 S monitors + center.

Last edited:
S

svanos

Audiophyte
Just snagged a pair in white at their retirement price of $1250! Wish I could afford the 1723's. Unboxing shortly.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis