Arendal 1723 thx monitor upgrade to the 1723 thx towers

V

vernonscriven

Enthusiast
I need some advice, I have the left, center and right arendal 1723 monitors. I love them, but I am thinking of upgrading to the towers. trading in my center and left monitor and keeping the right monitor as a center channel.
The center channel would be upright, tilted back slightly back, under the screen, 3 ft from the wall. It would be about 5 inches from the floor.
Does this make acoustical sense?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Unless you are running the speakers full-range with no subs to fill in low bass, switching from the monitors to the towers isn't make any difference for you. The crossover from the midrange drivers to the low-bass drivers is too low to give you any significant extra headroom if you are high-pass filtering the speakers over to subs.

V

vernonscriven

Enthusiast
Unless you are running the speakers full-range with no subs to fill in low bass, switching from the monitors to the towers isn't make any difference for you. The crossover from the midrange drivers to the low-bass drivers is too low to give you any significant extra headroom if you are high-pass filtering the speakers over to subs.
To be honest, I am not satisfied with how my homemade stands look.
The towers are a lot sleeker.
I was hoping for a slight performance boost.
I have a svs pc-4000 and have sufficient low end.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
To be honest, I am not satisfied with how my homemade stands look.
The towers are a lot sleeker.
I was hoping for a slight performance boost.
I have a svs pc-4000 and have sufficient low end.
Arendal did make some speaker stands for them, but I don't see them listed on their site at the moment. Maybe they don't offer them anymore, but you might inquire to see if you can get some. It would be a lot less expensive than buying the towers.

V

vernonscriven

Enthusiast
Arendal did make some speaker stands for them, but I don't see them listed on their site at the moment. Maybe they don't offer them anymore, but you might inquire to see if you can get some. It would be a lot less expensive than buying the towers.
I will, thanks

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I will, thanks
If they are less than a year old they have a trade-in program as well. Just something else to keep in mind.

The Arendal website has the 1723 stands listed as a "Legacy" product, so it looks like they don't make them any more. You can contact them directly through their web page. They have some of the best support in the industry and will respond the same day.

V

vernonscriven

Enthusiast
1675215893546.png

I should have until August 2023 to upgrade. The service has been great.
Thanks

V

vernonscriven

Enthusiast
I will check again.

D

DanH72

Audiophyte
I don't know what you decided to do, but if you still have your Monitors, the best thing you could do is replace your screen with an acoustically transparent model (they are not that expensive anymore) that is perhaps a bit bigger than what you currently own. Framing an AT screen is actually, even temporarily, less work than you might realize.

That way you can get your front three behind the screen (then who cares what your stands look like) and with the center speaker sitting vertically as is required, especially for an MTM speaker design. This will improve any dispersion and lobing issues that can crop up with a horizontal positioned MTM speaker. The Monitor Center is the exact same speaker as the other two, so it works best sitting vertical. The only thing different is the orientation of the binding posts.

The Monitors, using a sub, are just as good as the towers.

V

vernonscriven

Enthusiast
Thanks, I haven't done anything yet, but I will think about that.

Laika2

Laika2

Enthusiast
I went from 1723 THX Mons to 1723 THX Towers in my main room and 1723 S Towers in my mixed room. I do use 1723 THX Centers with both. Made a heck of a difference. Mainly in the midrange but also tightened up the bass. 1723 Mons are now doing far rear duty, kind of a waste there but still thinking about what I want go do with them.

I need some advice, I have the left, center and right arendal 1723 monitors. I love them, but I am thinking of upgrading to the towers. trading in my center and left monitor and keeping the right monitor as a center channel.
The center channel would be upright, tilted back slightly back, under the screen, 3 ft from the wall. It would be about 5 inches from the floor.
Does this make acoustical sense?

J

jeentisa

Audiophyte
Framing an acoustically transparent screen is actually not as much work as you might think, and it could bring some significant benefits. By placing your front three speakers behind the screen, you won't have to worry about what your stands look like. Additionally, if you have a center speaker designed in an MTM (midrange-tweeter-midrange) configuration, it's best to position it vertically, as it can help with dispersion and minimize any issues with lobing. The Monitor Center speaker is essentially the same as the other two, so it performs optimally in a vertical orientation. The only difference is the placement of the binding posts.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis