Are You An Audiophile?

Are You An Audiophile?

• Yes. 100% always looking for the best audio experience

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • No. I'd never be part of an organization that would have me as a member.

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I used to live in SF, man... I know how touchy you cyclists can get! :p
Ouch. Yeah lived in SF for almost 40 years all told :). When I lived/cycled there I was more a target of cars (a few times I got targeted/chased). Still, my favorite ride was when I was coming back from a waterfront ride out to PacBell Park from my place in Portola Heights, and came across Robin Williams and I went back and caught up with him and rode across the GGB to Sausalito....his running comedy across the bridge among the very tourists he was making jokes about was priceless...

J

jeffca

Junior Audioholic
Hey, what's in a word? Webster's Dictionary states that it's "a person enthusiastic about high fidelity audio reproduction".

That certainly is me.

If you are talking about an audio equipment fetishist, well, that I am not. I only care about the quality of the audio. The stuff looking nice doesn't hurt, but has nothing to do with whether I'll buy it.

The other aspect of the fetishist is buying expensive equipment because some dweeb who writes for an audio site/mag listened to it and claims it's incredible. This is disregarding that it's noise and distortion are 20dB or more higher than what Benchmark & Purifi offer with their amps for $3K or less. It also cracks me up when audiophiles eschew professional monitors and studio equipment because they aren't from a HiFi company. That is the height of stupidity.

Bottom line is that any audio review that has no measurements is of very limited value. Most are thoroughly useless because they are written by people that are incredibly ignorant of the science of audio.

Being a person enthusiastic about high fidelity audio reproduction is not a bad thing. Being an ignoramus who spouts idiocy is.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
I was an audiophile until they redefined the term to mean:
"It's true because I say it's true"

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I am an audiophile based on the science and engineering principles used in sound reproduction. I dont have an equipment fetish nor do I subscribe to the voodoo and magic that some equipment fetish audiophiles like to believe in. Understanding human hearing limitations and the immense processing power of the human brain also helps keep me grounded.

M

Maniachiavelli

Audiophyte
I was an audiophile until they redefined the term to mean:
"It's true because I say it's true"
THEY didn't redefine the word. YOU did. There was no problem with having "audiophile" being an inclusive term that covered everyone enthusiastic about audio, subjectivists and objectivists alike, until everybody started pointing fingers at each other. Now, objectivists have started snarkily calling subjectivists "audiophiles", turning it into a derogatory word, and now you want to "reclaim" the term so you can start using it about yourselves again? Please... Maybe if the self-proclaimed objectivists weren't so busy belittling people who don't understand the facts, more of them might actually listen to what you have to say.

Stop acting like it's "them and us". We should be trying to make people interested in audio, not scare them away with arrogant BS.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I'm going with no.

Not because I don't like good sound, but because I'm not really chasing that aspect of it. I'm more about chasing what the best values are on the market. If I can get cabling which delivers 95% or 99% of the quality, I will stop looking for better. Same with everything else audio related. I don't feel the need to upgrade or change out my speakers all the time, I am happy with what I have almost always.

I do care about putting them in the right spot, and setting things up right. I also care about putting the appropraite wiring in place.

I also care a fair bit about the video. So, I am more of a videophile for sure.

Speedskater

Speedskater

Audioholic General
THEY didn't redefine the word. YOU did. There was no problem with having "audiophile" being an inclusive term that covered everyone enthusiastic about audio, subjectivists and objectivists alike, until everybody started pointing fingers at each other
No! they did.
They refuse to accept, that if it's not' ears only' listening, it's not worth talking about.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I am not sure, but I voted yes because it was closer to how I perceive myself. I am not currently trying to improve any of our six sound systems. I do have backups if any gear dies. I am considering buying a DAC around holiday time. None of our gear cost over $250 (new). I am enthusiastic about audio though. I have rated all of our speakers, and I have two different audio test CD's. Peace and goodwill.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Just saw this thread on different "classes" of audiophile if you want to break it down some more....
That's a weirdly warm-mess of people with insecurities saying they don't like being put in a box! (Or, at least is was this morning.) Blech. I get why he did it. Some of it fits... but as an insight to the psychology of a marketing-head it should be pretty evident that it gonna be a bit of a wreck.

anomaly7

anomaly7

Audiophyte
What a great article. I remember Steve asking me this question when we (the San Francisco Audiophile Foundation) had him on for a Zoom presentation. I thought the question a bit odd until he explained his reason for asking. Later, I encountered a bit of ostracism when a friend asked for stereo advice for her husband, though she made it clear he did not want advice from an "audiophile". Probably because, like the soundbar tale within the article, he did not want to go down a rabbit hole of spending for an ultimate system. I explained that was not necessary, but ultimately, I think my recommendations were rejected.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I am a music head. As such, I could care less about what other people get out of audio. If some want to fantasize about the make believe aspects of it all, I say, let them, if it makes them happy. I can usually get a satisfactory listening experience from many different sources. While I was recently helping my brother redo his wrecked roof from Ian, all he had was a very old portable from the job site days from the '80s. Just a basic radio and not even close to boom box status. Still has drywall mud and dust on it. It was enough somehow, especially with no immediate comparisons around, beyond the much better system in my truck.

Audiophilia, has managed to get a little too much starch in it's underwear over the years. While I can appreciate the easy access to, and the beneficial science of it all, there are many who can never turn it off and just listen.

I most often listen point blank with large speakers near field. I am sitting right in between them to where I can reach both easily at the same time without leaning much, if at all. This would likely horrify most science based audiophiles and they would be ready to attack me with their many spreadsheets on the subject if I cared/dared to argue about it. In spite of everything I know with the 'correct' way to do this, I still don't. I tried it the "right way," and it wasn't nearly as fun for me.

Had a buddy over the other day and he wanted to hear my stereo just from seeing it. He really had no idea how involved I was with hi-fi. There we were, both standing a couple feet apart between my speakers while drinking beers, having to yell at each other to communicate when we wanted to remark on what we were experiencing without turning it down. We spent probably 4 hrs listening (loudly) like that and a 12 pack gone. Neither of us are really drinkers/smokers but we had managed a small party of it, regardless. This has turned into something we do a couple times a month now. My neighbor a couple houses over happens by sometimes as well and there we are, nearly shoulder-to-shoulder, jamming the heck out like the olden days. All of us are in our 60s now and it was uncanny how much we still had in common musically and it was apparent that we all came from the same places, albeit separately. They bring me Guinness!

L

lhunka

Audiophyte
I think the term "audiophile" needs to be retired. It originally meant "a lover of audio". I think it may have lost that meaning. If that meaning was correct it would mean those that listened on earpods or $100,000 dollar systems were equally deserving of the term. I think the term has been changed on so many levels. A "true audiophile" now contains many caveats -1. You need expensive gear. 2. Analog reigns - out with CD,s and digital files. 3. Testing is meaningless - I "trust my ears" .3. Double blind listening is useless. 4. I can hear "massive differences" between things well outside the audibility of human hearing. (cables anyone) 4. Power chords greatly improved the sound (thanks Paul at PS audio) 5. I trust the reviewers in the press (Absolute Sound, Stereophile etc) when they are well after their BBF date and their hearing is severely compromised ( sorry Steve Guttenberg - still love you) 6. No reviewer ever picked up the Mofi digital files when digital should have been so easily identified. I could go on with the "audiophile nonsense" but won't. Audiophile has become a meaningless term. Does this mean I reject peoples preferences -absolute no. We are all entitled to our preferences. Do I reject analog - no. I have 3 turntables, numerous cartridges and 100's of LPs. Do I love them - yes. Are they better than digital -no. They are different and I can love them in a different way. Do I reject the audio press (Stereophile, Absolute Sound Steve Guttenberg) - again no - but I way them against better informed sources like Audioholics, Erins Audio Corner, reading Floyd Toole etc, Audioscience Reviews.. Do I think these guys get it right all the time - again no but pretty good starting points.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis