Are You An Audiophile?

Are You An Audiophile?

• Yes. 100% always looking for the best audio experience

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • No. I'd never be part of an organization that would have me as a member.

Votes: 8 42.1%

• Total voters
gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Do you identify as an audiophile? If not, what is it about that word that gives you pause? In this article we discuss the many connotations of the word “audiophile,” and what needs to be done in order to reclaim it for the whole community of music-lovers and audio enthusiasts.
The term ‘audiophile’ has been relegated to the guys that are into audio tweaks, or they think they have better equipment because it’s more expensive, and I’m here to say that’s all nonsense. I think we can all be audiophiles.
— Gene DellaSala, founder and President of Audioholics

memorex.jpg

Read: Reclaiming the Term Audiophile

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Well done Gene. The elitists who want to spent huge $ on their gear somehow think that qualifies them to use the term Audiophile exclusively. I have another term for them => ass.....! ;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Not falling for these "?" threads anymore. Oh, wait... s#%t.;)

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry I can't watch internet videos because of my slow, metered internet connection but I consider myself an audiophile but a practical one with a lot of experience. I once was involved in "high end" audio and cured myself of it with some bias controlled listening tests a while ago. I learned that the audible parts of audio are in room acoustics, loudspeakers, headphones and phono cartridges. I learned that the rest of it is trivial assuming it is competently designed and manufactured. One needs those trivial components of an AV system and the right ones are required to meet your goals. But they should be chosen based on anything other than perceived sonic performance.

I enjoy my home theater and 3 additional audio systems in my house and I never worry about the sound. I just enjoy the content I am seeing and hearing. In what else should an audiophile be involved?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Audiofiend? Whether on the rig or some earbuds, I just like to have music to suit my mood all the time. When I want that sublime experience, I will pull out the best recordings and fire up the rig, but that isn't possible when I have to go to the office and I am not going to critical listen at work lol, so I will take what I can get as circumstance dictates. Does that disqualify me? :)

Is it a sign of audiophile or audioholic if you have enough gear laying around unused to build 2 or 3 extra systems? I have more speakers than rooms to put them in.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
That was an excellent video Gene, and I can not disagree with a word.

Unfortunately we are having a heavy dump of "codswallop" from a couple of inveterate BS merchants, but we are dealing with them. It is however taking a lot of time and effort preserving the integrity of the site. The sooner they are gone the better.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
“Codswallop.” I love it! Now say poppycock with a sneer. No, really, do it.;)

M

Maniachiavelli

Audiophyte
I think there is an angle missing in the article. iIt comes close, but not quite: “Audiophile” has become a term that objectivists use in a derogatory manner to mean people who are a “lost cause” in their minds, people who ignore all facts, logic and sanity, and will believe anything. It’s no longer “Audiofools” - it’s just “Audiophile”. In the eyes of the objectivists, you are not an “Audiophile” if you are interested in facts.

My point is, it’s not really about elitists taking over the term. It is that the term has become something derogatory. I want to consider myself an “audiophile”, but not if it means that people take this to believe that I want to ignore facts. But I also don’t want to be considered an “objectivist”, if it means that I am labelled as someone who ignores subjective listening as long as the measurements look good. I am neither of those things.

In other words, I don’t think people stopped identifying themselves as Audiophiles to avoid being seen as elitist. I think they do it to avoid being labelled as a fool (“Audiofool”). In other words, the arrow should be pointed - at least partly - to the people using the term negatively.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
The second option is too tempting.

I'm am audioholic. That's why I'm here.

I guess I will belong to this odd club.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Do you identify as an audiophile? If not, what is it about that word that gives you pause? In this article we discuss the many connotations of the word “audiophile,” and what needs to be done in order to reclaim it for the whole community of music-lovers and audio enthusiasts.
Great video, Gene! Thank you!!!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A few years ago a friend who knew of my audio tendencies tried to introduce me to someone in a discussion (at a bike shop) as an audiophile....and the way he said it I just had to stop it cold and clarify. I clarified I wasn't one of the oddball tweakers and fantasizers, just a solid enthusiast for good audio gear. I am an audiophile but it may need clarification as to who that's shared with particularly.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
A few years ago a friend who knew of my audio tendencies tried to introduce me to someone in a discussion (at a bike shop) as an audiophile....and the way he said it I just had to stop it cold and clarify. I clarified I wasn't one of the oddball tweakers and fantasizers, just a solid enthusiast for good audio gear. I am an audiophile but it may need clarification as to who that's shared with particularly.
More pertinent...
What is the tweaker version of a cyclist called? ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis