Are these wipes safe for 4k ultra hd discs?

• Thread starter cameron paterson
  • Start date
Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
perhaps nothing more than oversized lens cleaning wipes ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I don't see a link but a soft cloth and warm water (or maybe warm soapy water) should be fine without going and buying some disposable wipes....

C

cameron paterson

Audioholic Chief
Just wondering why would they be safe for dvd's and game console discs but not for 4k ultra hd movies?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If it's advertised safe for optical discs, doubt the type could make any difference. I rarely even need to clean my optical discs, I handle on the edges and it just isn't an issue....

ps what are the wipes, anyways?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I always used a little running warm water if I had a disc that got dirty... If it had some spots I've seen some folk use windex even. (They would just use their fingers to gently wipe the disc, then rinse it immediately with clean water.)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
As mentioned above, a microfibre cloth will work well for removing smudges and fingerprints (like a lense cleaning cloth for reading glasses). Those wipes are probably disposables. A microfibre cloth can be thrown in the washing machine and reused. When cleaning optical disks, wipe perpendicular to the tracks (from the inside to the outer edge), not in a circular motion around the disk. The reason is that a small scratch perpendicular to the track will have less effect on the laser and can be compensated for with error correction built into the player. Long scratches that run along the path of a track are more likely to cause problems. Dust and fingerprints are easy to remove. Physical scratches need special treatment.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Here is the cleaning wipes:
I would have thought it would have mentioned BDs and 4K discs if it was safe. From the pictures it looks it is unlikely to be safe. These BD discs use much shorter wave lengths of light and are much more vulnerable to micro scratches. That means they are sensitive to type and fiber diameter of any cleaning fabric.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think it's more likely that this is just an old Maxell product that they haven't bothered changing the packaging for. Who still uses CD-Rs? Maxell isn't what it used to be....

T

trochetier

Audioholic
Clean old under shirt and Windex works just fine. Microfiber towels are a good option too. Just be gentle.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Just wondering why would they be safe for dvd's and game console discs but not for 4k ultra hd movies?
DVDs and CDs have their data printed on the top layer of the disc, then layers are added above the top layer to protect the data under it. The laser passes through the clear disc surface and reads the data on the top layer of the disc.

Blu-ray Discs, both 1080p and 4K put their data on the bottom of the disc and then have a thin protective film which is applied to the disc to protect that data. This leaves those discs extremely vulnerable to chemical penetration which can damage the data more easily. It means that special care should be taken with Blu-ray Discs when cleaning them. I don't believe I have ever cleaned one of my discs over the years. I've just made a point to handle it by the edges/center only. If I have wiped any down, it would have been with a microfiber cloth.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis