Are These Finds Good Deals?

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I would advise caution. I have heard a few Legacy speakers over the years, and have been distinctly under whelmed. I have a friend here in Eagan who has a set of Legacy di-pole speakers. I am negatively impressed by those, and they did not measure well for Stereophile, but the author liked them. Personally I would not give them house room. Certainly not worth nearly 40K.

I can only find an on axis FR of your intended purchase and that is not good. It is from HT, and your intended purchase is the purple trace.

I would say there is a red flag there.
it’s interesting how sometimes what’s perceived as an upgrade doesn’t sound better to us especially if we are fond of the sound we have. Sometimes it takes that last purchase to make us realize we like what we have :)

I think it’s good you were able to hear the JBLs and the Monitors to help you have clarity before

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I would advise caution. I have heard a few Legacy speakers over the years, and have been distinctly under whelmed. I have a friend here in Eagan who has a set of Legacy di-pole speakers. I am negatively impressed by those, and they did not measure well for Stereophile, but the author liked them. Personally I would not give them house room. Certainly not worth nearly 40K.

I can only find an on axis FR of your intended purchase and that is not good. It is from HT, and your intended purchase is the purple trace.

I would say there is a red flag there.
Thank you for finding those graphs. I recall that Steve Feinstein settled on Legacy speakers in the end, but those were the Legacy Signature SE (pictured below). The graphs for the Classic HD do not look that impressive, especially when compared to the Philharmonic and Salk offerings for half the price. They do look pretty impressive though. :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
it’s interesting how sometimes what’s perceived as an upgrade doesn’t sound better to us especially if we are fond of the sound we have. Sometimes it takes that last purchase to make us realize we like what we have :)

I think it’s good you were able to hear the JBLs and the Monitors to help you have clarity before
Yeah, the more I research and learn from others the more it seems that it was quite the stroke of serendipity that I ended up with the Paradigm Studio speakers. I wasn't shopping for them specifically, but after spending a good hour or two auditioning them at the recommendation of a friend, I was convinced of their wonderful sound quality. The C$1,300 I spent 12 years ago seemed like a lot of money but I'm finding that they perform well above their price point. It's still fun to look around and consider other options though. I'd like to get another room setup with a decent 2-channel or 2.1 setup so that I can try other brands.

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Yeah, the more I research and learn from others the more it seems that it was quite the stroke of serendipity that I ended up with the Paradigm Studio speakers. I wasn't shopping for them specifically, but after spending a good hour or two auditioning them at the recommendation of a friend, I was convinced of their wonderful sound quality. The C$1,300 I spent 12 years ago seemed like a lot of money but I'm finding that they perform well above their price point. It's still fun to look around and consider other options though. I'd like to get another room setup with a decent 2-channel or 2.1 setup so that I can try other brands.
@Eppie you sure sound like an Audioholic to me. It starts with having one system, then grows, and grows. Next thing you know, you're an Audioholic wanting more and more... ;)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
@Eppie you sure sound like an Audioholic to me. It starts with having one system, then grows, and grows. Next thing you know, you're an Audioholic wanting more and more... ;)
:D
My current problem is space, which is why I have in-walls in the living room. If I take them out, then at least I'll have an excuse for getting stands and trying some book shelves. There are door ways and windows on every wall in that room which makes proper placement difficult but we've always had a sound system in that room. I can experiment with near field setups in the den as well.

First order of business is my work shop, though, which needs a complete overhaul. I brought home an analogue Marantz AVR and cheap tower speakers from my daughter's apartment but no space to work on them as I also received a band saw from a a friend. I'm at the point where I have to empty the shop and redesign the layout but once that is done then I'll finally have a layout where I can consider speaker building as well. Getting close to retirement age, eh. ;)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
_20220820_111959.JPG

Are these still well regarded? Seems like a good deal. Nope got enough subs.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Never have heard Focals before. How much they want for them? Interesting questions what is the max you all will spend on some speakers just for the chance to hear a brand you haven't heard when you have no itention of using them in your setups. For me, probably less than $100

I miss Pogre and I miss this thread being active! Hope Pogre comes on back soon to AH

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Never have heard Focals before. How much they want for them? Interesting questions what is the max you all will spend on some speakers just for the chance to hear a brand you haven't heard when you have no itention of using them in your setups. For me, probably less than $100

I miss Pogre and I miss this thread being active! Hope Pogre comes on back soon to AH
Whoops I edited my post and added pricing.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Focal seems to be dropping the JMLab name and pressing the Focal name more. Focal makes good speakers. It's an MTM design but for one listening position or closer seating could work very well.

Miss Pogre too.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Go and get it ... they make good stuff
Thanks Z! I'll pop by tomorrow and see if it's still there for $30 you can't go wrong. It's a new thrift store that opened last week. I've been there a couple of times and the Focal was still there. Wanna see how it compares to the JBL S center, which I love. Focal is also as big as the JBL maybe a bit bigger.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
$59 I have a ten inch by them that's decent. Never seen two on the top ports design like this on a budget speaker.
IMG_20230203_104325.jpg
IMG_20230203_104253.jpg

Oh no It's still here.:eek:
IMG_20230203_104749.jpg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Aloha! At work I'll hook it up tonight and post pics. Needs a good cleaning. Hopefully I'll like it if not probably put it on Craigslist. I doubt it though, but we will see. Can't wait!
IMG_20230203_104749.jpg

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I love this Focal(6 inch drivers) center speaker! Thanks for the nudge Z! Was watching all type of dialogue type stuff to see if was clear like my JBL($32 used/5 inch drivers) and it is possibly a bit better on clarity. Keeping both!
IMG_20230204_191524.jpg

They basically the same length, but the Focal has more butt/ass.:pAngled a bit up with a camera battery and it's even more clearer to my ears. Not sure what kind of tweets it has, but I'll look it up... Titanium Aluminum/magnesium inverted dome tweeter! Made in France.
IMG_20230204_191828.jpg

IMG_20230204_191408.jpg

Pogre? What do ya think?:)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I love this Focal(6 inch drivers) center speaker! Thanks for the nudge Z! Was watching all type of dialogue type stuff to see if was clear like my JBL($32 used/5 inch drivers) and it is possibly a bit better on clarity. Keeping both!
Yes a good call ... enjoy

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis