Are These Finds Good Deals?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Nice! Great looking speaker. I ended up pulling the trigger. Can’t wait. How would you compare the salk3 to the Sierra horizons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Congrats. You'll love them!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I agree, but with some tlc look like new. Never heard a B&W, but we'll regarded at one point.
The JBL Studio 5 speakers are better than the B&W... the older JBL center will be better than some of these center channels today

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The JBL Studio 5 speakers are better than the B&W... the older JBL center will be better than some of these center channels today
@zieglj01! How you been?

I just found these Sonus Faber Grand Piano speakers for $995 in good shape. Not something I'm interested in, but the asking price for SF towers is usually higher. Seems like a pretty decent deal.

00h0h_lnlOpenwlq9z_0pE0t2_600x450.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
These on the other hand, Yamaha NS2000s at $5200 seems like a lot. I dunno. I have read that some Yamaha models have a pretty strong following and they do make pretty good speakers, but over $5k?

00L0L_ak78D810tHrz_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
@zieglj01! How you been?

I just found these Sonus Faber Grand Piano speakers for $995 in good shape. Not something I'm interested in, but the asking price for SF towers is usually higher. Seems like a pretty decent deal.

View attachment 51055

Nice deal on those speakers. I've never owned them but heard a pair. in an audio shop.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
@zieglj01! How you been?

I am doing fine, standing back some as the merry-go-round continues to spin around ... the Sonus Faber seems to have sold for around 3250 a pair from around 2001

The measurements are not what one would call great

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
These on the other hand, Yamaha NS2000s at $5200 seems like a lot. I dunno. I have read that some Yamaha models have a pretty strong following and they do make pretty good speakers, but over $5k?
Way overpriced

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

View attachment 51056

At that price he should be on japan.craigslist.org. :D

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
A set of tasty Paradigm Studio 100 v4s for those who may be interested in the DFW area:
From what I could glean, this is a pretty good price (same seller has them on Ebay for $1300 and another pair is offered up at $1900). I had the v2 of this model and thought they were great home theater speakers with lots of slam and dynamics. For music... they were okay, but did not really do it for me. Don't know if the v4 rectified this.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
@William Lemmerhirt mentioned wanting Legacies so I had a quick look for fun. Their new stuff is beautiful and very expensive, but what about the used market? Found a pair of Legacy Focus on Ebay (California) for $3,250. The cabinets look rather vintage with oak veneer and trim, but the driver arrangement looks similar to what you would find on a modern Legacy. One rear firing driver needs to have the surround replaced which could add another $300-$400 if professionally done.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
@William Lemmerhirt mentioned wanting Legacies so I had a quick look for fun. Their new stuff is beautiful and very expensive, but what about the used market? Found a pair of Legacy Focus on Ebay (California) for $3,250. The cabinets look rather vintage with oak veneer and trim, but the driver arrangement looks similar to what you would find on a modern Legacy. One rear firing driver needs to have the surround replaced which could add another $300-$400 if professionally done.
Man I’ve always wanted a pair of there towers !

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am doing fine, standing back some as the merry-go-round continues to spin around ... the Sonus Faber seems to have sold for around 3250 a pair from around 2001

The measurements are not what one would call great
It's not great, but not too terrible, at least the red trace. I'm assuming the red trace is on axis? Definitely a bump at around 6-7 khz but looks eq'able.

502sonus.2.jpg

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I had a chance to get a pair of OG Focus for $1900 a few years back. I guess electronics are following the path of cars and houses, where he scarcity of new is making the used more expensive.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
It's not great, but not too terrible, at least the red trace. I'm assuming the red trace is on axis? Definitely a bump at around 6-7 khz but looks eq'able.

View attachment 51068
Have a look at the S & V text again. The on axis response rather is the violet trace with an emphasis in output at around 1.6 Kh which disappears far off axis (red trace).

IMO, at frequencies from 60 to over 100 Hz, it must sound boomy at moderate SPL. It's not that good as compared to so many others.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis