Are These Finds Good Deals?

-Jim-

-Jim-

Audioholic General
Looking at these monitor audio 200 gold speakers. Seems like a good deal but 4g versus current 5G I believe?

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You confuse me with "4g versus current 5G". These are not wi-fi speakers so please explain. Thanks.

B

Bman484

Audioholic Intern
You confuse me with "4g versus current 5G". These are not wi-fi speakers so please explain. Thanks.
Ha. These are 4th generation with the most recent generation at 5th.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Monitor Audio Gold are pretty legit speakers, even the 4th gen. The new ones were compared to the Platinums and said to offer about 85% of the performance for a fraction of the cost of the Plat. Thus proving diminishing returns. :)

I have compared the BMRs to the MA Silver 500 and 300. Different ball park. I didn't buy from MA, though they were my favorite OEM at the time.

B

Bman484

Audioholic Intern
Monitor Audio Gold are pretty legit speakers, even the 4th gen. The new ones were compared to the Platinums and said to offer about 85% of the performance for a fraction of the cost of the Plat. Thus proving diminishing returns. :)

I have compared the BMRs to the MA Silver 500 and 300. Different ball park. I didn't buy from MA, though they were my favorite OEM at the time.
Thank you - 2450 seems like a great price brand new given 5G are over 6k for the pair?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Looking at these monitor audio 200 gold speakers. Seems like a good deal but 4g versus current 5G I believe?

Thank you.

Those are Silvers. Were you looking at this ad? Almost half of retail for new in the box seems pretty good. Their Gold line gets good reviews.
https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649765719-monitor-audio-gold-200/

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oops! Yes those are the ones you posted!

Those do look like a pretty good deal. Half price-ish, in good condition and they're good speakers by all accounts I've seen.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Don't see these very often. This guy has both a Harbottle 24" subwoofer and a Funk Audio 24" subwoofer for sale. I think these would give even Pogre's great subwoofage a run for their money. $9000 Cdn and $4750 Cdn.
View attachment 50895
View attachment 50896
Those look NICE! Use this as example for something I wondered because it's something I'm contemplating. You find something that is an upgrade over what you have but you don't need it... At all. Yet the price is 50% maybe even 33% of SRP BUT the cost is not cheap. Say $1K price for a $3K item.

Are you always ready to lay down the $1K, $1.5K, etc. or do you often pass knowing that it's a risk in being better than what you have it it might be something you have to flip or get stuck with.

I think we are all willing to lay down sub $200 for that fun but what about when the cost gets over $500 :)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Those look NICE! Use this as example for something I wondered because it's something I'm contemplating. You find something that is an upgrade over what you have but you don't need it... At all. Yet the price is 50% maybe even 33% of SRP BUT the cost is not cheap. Say $1K price for a $3K item.

Are you always ready to lay down the $1K, $1.5K, etc. or do you often pass knowing that it's a risk in being better than what you have it it might be something you have to flip or get stuck with.

I think we are all willing to lay down sub $200 for that fun but what about when the cost gets over $500 :)
That's often a dilemma in the used market. I have seen some very nice speakers on the used market only a few months old listed for well under retail. Was tempted this year by a pair of KEF R11 that retail for $6800 listed for $4k. The KEF towers haven't been reviewed here though, although I generally like the sound of their speakers. I can get the Arendal 1723 THX Monitors for less than that, however, and came really close to pulling the trigger a while back. The Paradigm Studio series speakers that I have are no slouches, though, especially since I finally acquired a good sub. Don't absolutely need new speakers which makes it a hard sell to my spouse. ;) I've been itching for something different never the less but future travel plans are taking priority. Probably end up with a DIY solution so that I can afford both. Well, there's always the Christmas bonus that is only two and half months away! :D

B

Bman484

Audioholic Intern
I am interested in picking up Salk speakers. LCR Salk Song3 came on the market for $3000. These speakers are 1.5yrs old. Any thoughts on if this is a good deal? They are in a special finish and all matching.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I am interested in picking up Salk speakers. LCR Salk Song3 came on the market for $3000. These speakers are 1.5yrs old. Any thoughts on if this is a good deal? They are in a special finish and all matching.
Do you know which Song 3? The standard one with ribbon tweeter? Is the center the RT version with matching tweeter? Current pricing is still on the Salk web site. I don't see Salks for sale very often and they tend to retain their value. Not just a good sounding speaker but their finishes are top notch.

B

Bman484

Audioholic Intern
Do you know which Song 3? The standard one with ribbon tweeter? Is the center the RT version with matching tweeter? Current pricing is still on the Salk web site. I don't see Salks for sale very often and they tend to retain their value. Not just a good sounding speaker but their finishes are top notch.
Here is the picture of the towers

and center.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja

and center.

OK, standard tower with RAAL ribbon tweeter, titanium cone midrange and Satori woofer with the matching Song 3 center. Note that the center is quite tall at 12.5". Around $5500 retail. $3000 sounds pretty good if they're only 1.5 years old. I'm sure some others will chime in here.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

That's a steal for $3k. Also happens to be the exact setup I have. ;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord

and center.

And, iirc, we talked about the BMRs... Dennis does the Crossover and voicing for Jim's Speakers. They will share many of the same characteristics in terms of SQ and accurate reproduction.

Are they near you? Able to go and audition?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd be really tempted to buy those myself and figure out to pay for them later... lol.

I'm only kinda kidding. I can't really afford to just drop 3 grand, but I'm confident I could get that back and then some reselling them out here. OR... I could get that for my Sierras and Horizon out here too. The Phoenix area is a pretty good market for craigslist buyers and sellers. In fact I'll bet those Salks would have sold on day 1 out here. Either way it'd be a great opportunity to compare them.

That center channel design looks A LOT like mine!

9226-1_copy_613x328.jpg

PS: Notice the tt @afterlife2 gifted me sitting on top of it. That's its new home and still gets used on occasion!

Last edited:
B

Bman484

Audioholic Intern
I'd be really tempted to buy those myself and figure out to pay for them later... lol.

I'm only kinda kidding. I can't really afford to just drop 3 grand, but I'm confident I could get that back and then some reselling them out here. OR... I could get that for my Sierras and Horizon out here too. The Phoenix area is a pretty good market for craigslist buyers and sellers. In fact I'll bet those Salks would have sold on day 1 out here. Either way it'd be a great opportunity to compare them.

That center channel design looks A LOT like mine!

View attachment 50942

PS: Notice the tt @afterlife2 gifted me sitting on top of it. That's its new home and still gets used on occasion!
Nice! Great looking speaker. I ended up pulling the trigger. Can’t wait. How would you compare the salk3 to the Sierra horizons?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice! Great looking speaker. I ended up pulling the trigger. Can’t wait. How would you compare the salk3 to the Sierra horizons?

That's awesome! Congrats! I haven't had a chance to check out the S3s with ribbon tweets, but I'm gonna guess they're both very close in perfomance and sound quality. The Sierras and Horizon might have an edge in sensitivity, power handling and overall spl but the Salks are no slouch there and tend to have nicer finishes. They both measure very flat and accurate.

If those were in my area I dunno if I could resist nabbing the ones you found so I could compare them with mine. I'd keep the ones I like best and sell the others. I'm confident I could at least break even and get $3k for either set I decided to sell. I think that asking price is pretty good for what you're getting with a center channel. It's a rare opportunity to get a good deal on some truly top of the line speakers. I think you're gonna love them.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Agree with Pogre on this... I think the comparison likely come to a difference in how the two different philosophies of Dennis and Dave F(ascend) voice their Speakers... in many designs, you can see a slight upward boost in the Highs with Dave's gear. Dave's designs also lend themselves to playing a little louder.

I think the Salks are a great score, and they should make you quite happy.

Again, as I am used to Dennis' gear, I have no complaints about SPL levels. So unless you are the kind of guy that thinks 11 is for wussies and you need 13... :p Well, you might want to go shopping for some JTRs instead! ;) :D :D I don't think Dave does 13, either.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis