Are These Finds Good Deals?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I rented laserdiscs from a little place near me in the 90's. The guy sold Pioneer Elite gear and started carrying Energy speakers. I thought they were sharp looking and there were a lot of glossy black pieces in there between the Energy and the Elite stuff.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
@TLS Guy, I found some speakers on Craigslist that may be interesting to you. A pair of Jordan Watts speakers for $400. All I know is that they're well regarded full range drivers, but the speakers themselves could be diy.

View attachment 46833
Really surprised those still haven't sold.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The square cut out for the port makes the cabinets look DIY. No black edging or black interior.
Well even the seller says he doesn't know if they're factory cabinets or not.....but probably biggest problem in not selling is simply brand recognition....

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Well even the seller says he doesn't know if they're factory cabinets or not.....but probably biggest problem in not selling is simply brand recognition....
Real shame... they’d be in my house if it was within driving distance. Drivers alone are worth more than the asking price, but i wouldn’t part them out.

cerwinmad

cerwinmad

Full Audioholic
These popped up, a little far away though (8hr drive}

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Last but not least, some SVS tower speakers and center from before my time becoming familiar with them. I've never seen these before. The SVS badge even looks different!

View attachment 46839

I'm still running mine. Don't see these often.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Run and hide from Totem. The only thing positive I have heard about speakers from that company are from owners defending their purchase. Most response graphs from those speakers is downright scary. What about the Kanta 1 if you can find a deal? Are you looking just at towers?
So I came across measurements on the Totem Tribe done by Canada's National Research Council. You're right. They're all over the place and don't appear to have the bass response that video reviewers claim they have. Scratch those off my list.

And the Aria 948 has a heavier mid bass and ramps up above 5k according to a German datasheet:
https://www.focal.com/sites/www.focal.fr/files/shared/catalog/presse/aria948_audio.pdf
That curve could appeal to some, though, that like a thicker bottom end.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I almost posted this in the rich and famous thread but I think these fall a bit short. Legacy Focus towers for $10k...

00G0G_72NfRvN9WmNz_0CI0t2_300x300.jpg

Some pricey Dynaudio Contour towers too for $4895

00q0q_dg6AqQDdJOfz_07K0ak_300x300.jpg

It sometimes amazes me the stuff I find on Craigslist. It's like a used speaker mecca out here!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They are a higher level over the C-xxx series ... but I do not like the damage on one of the RC-70 speakers ... what would interest me the most would be the RC-10 bookshelf speakers
I just stumbled across 3 of these Energy Take 5s for $75...

00p0p_dOwiEphAjVr_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Now here are a couple of things you don't see every day. How 'bout some humanoid service robots? In the speaker search...

00808_4zRggvilhrgz_08405Z_600x450.jpg

Only $13k...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I just stumbled across 3 of these Energy Take 5s for $75...
They will have some peaks and dips in the frequency response and very little bass ... if someone wanted to toy with them, then somewhere around $40 would be good

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I almost posted this in the rich and famous thread but I think these fall a bit short. Legacy Focus towers for $10k...

View attachment 46880

<snip>
It sometimes amazes me the stuff I find on Craigslist. It's like a used speaker mecca out here!
Those look pretty impressive. What intrigues me are the 4 Bose 901 cabs in the back. Never heard of anyone running 4 before.

Yeah, I'm jealous of your selection.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They will have some peaks and dips in the frequency response and very little bass ... if someone wanted to toy with them, then somewhere around $40 would be good
All of a sudden it's like I see Energy speakers everywhere! These looked very interesting until I got to the image of the dented midrange dome. Damnit. That just completely ruins the speakers for me. Energy Veritas 2.2i with stands for $300.

00Q0Q_httbKWsTWaz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg
00S0S_1kI4uQmLc1nz_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

And some overpriced RC70s for $800.

00G0G_16ToEWoTQpez_0t20CI_600x450.jpg

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Man Arizona might just have the most impressive Craigslist inventory ever!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
A bit of masking tape can sometimes pull out those dents. ;)

I didn't know until today that Klipsch bought out Energy (and Mirage).

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Real shame... they’d be in my house if it was within driving distance. Drivers alone are worth more than the asking price, but i wouldn’t part them out.
You do tempt me, but it's hard to find info on those and HD brought up the brand recognition aspect of it too. I tried pinging @TLS Guy a couple times but he's not on as much as he used to be.

Now how would 2 full range drivers sound mounted one right over the other like that? Would they both be playing full range or would a person divvy up bass and treble with a crossover? I know there's no way to tell what's going on with the ones in the ad, but I'm sure there are a number of wrong ways to do it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis