Are These Finds Good Deals?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Focal Aria 936 towers for $3300. Not cheap, but an actual pretty good deal. I think I'd even be willing to trade my towers for these bad boys. I've been on a big Focal kick lately.

Now you know why I am so tempted by these. Aria 948 for $5000 Cdn $7800 retail ($4000 US $6000 retail) for demo units in new condition. The one thing holding me back (besides the price ;) ) is the reports on tweeter failures. Not that wide spread, but those that disassembled them found particles around the magnets that looked like a manufacturing issue to me. That's also in the price range of Paradigm Founders towers so I would prefer to audition both at that price range. Problem is the province is on lock down and case counts are on the rise so I don't see the lock down ending this month. :confused:
https://www.audio-connexion.com/FOCAL-948NW.html

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Now you know why I am so tempted by these. Aria 948 for $5000 Cdn $7800 retail ($4000 US $6000 retail) for demo units in new condition. The one thing holding me back (besides the price ;) ) is the reports on tweeter failures. Not that wide spread, but those that disassembled them found particles around the magnets that looked like a manufacturing issue to me. That's also in the price range of Paradigm Founders towers so I would prefer to audition both at that price range. Problem is the province is on lock down and case counts are on the rise so I don't see the lock down ending this month. :confused:
https://www.audio-connexion.com/FOCAL-948NW.html
That's right, you were looking at the 948s and I stumbled across the tweeter thing after a little digging.

Hmm... that's just about a deal breaker too. Especially as hard as it appears to try and find replacements. If I had a guaranteed buyer for my Sierras I'd still be tempted tho.

Oof. That is a dilemma and yes I'm totally feeling ya on the 948s you found.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Those Tobys, are those 6 x 9 woofers? Interesting. @Kvn_Walker those old Cantons look old! Lol. I guess Canton has been around a long time.
Yeah it's nuts that I never heard of Canton until 2017 or 2018. They don't seem to advertise at all in North America.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
There's definitely a segment in the audio community who'll pay big bucks for those old speakers. There's a shop out here that specializes in those vintage speakers. "Only" $850 for these.

Altec Lansing made great speakers in the 80's. We got a hold of some of their car audio speakers as well and they were some of the best 6x9 speakers that I heard with incredible bass performance. Didn't sell very many because they did not have the brand recognition in that market.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
That's right, you were looking at the 948s and I stumbled across the tweeter thing after a little digging.

Hmm... that's just about a deal breaker too. Especially as hard as it appears to try and find replacements. If I had a guaranteed buyer for my Sierras I'd still be tempted tho.

@shadyJ, have you or @gene come across any rumblings in the industry about Focal Aria tweeters? I've only come across 2 or 3 posts with photos of the defective tweeter so I'm curious whether this is a rare occurrence in the Aria and Chorus line or possibly a bad batch of tweeters that hit the American market. There don't appear to be any issues with the beryllium tweeters but those are in another price category.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, if they're the 305's, that's a helluva steal for essentially new ones.
I shot him a text asking for clarification on the model. I think they're the 305s, but I s'pose could be the 308s, which would be even a better deal.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic

Remind me again what you have ;)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Ha. Sierra ribbon towers for mains and a Sierra 2 pulling center channel duty right now.
And those ribbons probably sound very nice. I don't know if the Focal Aria would beat it. The beryllium tweeter in the Kanta maybe.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And those ribbons probably sound very nice. I don't know if the Focal Aria would beat it. The beryllium tweeter in the Kanta maybe.
Agreed. It's gonna be really hard to beat the RAAL ribbons for tweetage. I am a bit spoiled on those.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Somebody on the left coast is gonna make out like a bandit:

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

I don't know where else to put this, but...

Today on facebook marketplace: "Hey Grandma, can you send me a picture of that TV you're selling?"

grandma.jpg

:oops:

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Old school Canton Ergo's for $650 near DC:

That's a great price and not a bad drive at all... but I have nowhere for them. Trying really hard not to buy any gear for the time being.
Yes a good price

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Ha. Sierra ribbon towers for mains and a Sierra 2 pulling center channel duty right now.
Big league stuff.. Do you have a pair of sierra books.. Maybe we might a / b them against the b1's sometime..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis