Are These Finds Good Deals?

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I think most of us tend to prefer avoiding electrolytic caps in our XOs.

But....only $89 so there is that.
Make good surrounds at least for the budget minded. Why are electrolytic caps so bad? Just curious.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Make good surrounds at least for the budget minded. Why are electrolytic caps so bad? Just curious.
Electrolytic caps are likely the least reliable component, and the capacitance value will change as the electrolyte dries up. Granted, we tend to be talking about 20+ years for this to happen.

I also think that electrolytics tend to come with wider tolerances.

For many applications, they are fine, but for a crossover application, likely other types of caps make more sense

Great example, I just received my Phil BMR kit from Meniscus, and there are no electrolytic caps to be seen!

I found this with a quick google:
Among these drawbacks are large leakage currents, value tolerances, equivalent series resistance and a limited lifetime.

Read more http://www.capacitorguide.com/electrolytic-capacitor/

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
For a very large value, like a 100uF Capacitor, size and cost can become players in the conversation. (This also applies to large Air Core Inductors vs Solid Core.) A Cap that size might well be called for in the Woofer Circuit, and one such NPEC is employed in my AA Monitors.
For example:
With a price range of $25-$42 each, that adds up.
As a counterpoint:
$1.59 ea.
Now in a speaker costing less than $100 ea, MSRP, I think this is wholly appropriate. Though, I am surprised they only used Electrolytic Caps in the neumi.
;)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Electrolytic caps are likely the least reliable component, and the capacitance value will change as the electrolyte dries up. Granted, we tend to be talking about 20+ years for this to happen.

I also think that electrolytics tend to come with wider tolerances.

For many applications, they are fine, but for a crossover application, likely other types of caps make more sense

Great example, I just received my Phil BMR kit from Meniscus, and there are no electrolytic caps to be seen!

I found this with a quick google:
Among these drawbacks are large leakage currents, value tolerances, equivalent series resistance and a limited lifetime.

Read more http://www.capacitorguide.com/electrolytic-capacitor/
20 years I’d take the chance. :) What would you swap those caps with? I’m more into getting the JBL 530s than anything else, but patience is a virtue. I would love to see your BMR process build as you put it together. I’d like to dabble one day with a kit.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Stopped by my local thrift stores and saw these. Mostly $10 except for the Sony $5.99, but didn’t get them.
EA00F4D7-5807-42D1-B2C6-8E18CC5BA087.jpeg
86B53C78-CA85-4187-94D3-AE5891D9AF32.jpeg
3048C70E-5170-43B7-ABC0-F03C60902E16.jpeg
AD9A8691-8B0B-4372-A8F4-D03E85545078.jpeg

Got the insignia cause got some good weight to them and small so cheap for surround duty. Decent reviews too.
937A816A-5067-4ED9-96CA-AF57F61F9D37.jpeg

6273A3E2-EBE2-4BE5-97B9-A496C8427B9E.jpeg

These yellow Sony’s looked like my DCM. Almost took them, but didn’t.
CAB1C7A5-8B1B-4639-A583-E1A363072D20.jpeg

Above gave me an error and the cd door would not open. Too bad they make great stuff that brand.
A2A78E4E-E421-4421-92B1-6C6FEFF45C8C.jpeg
2F4E3E7C-7810-4C4F-B8DE-9E39BB448E21.jpeg

Dunno this WiFi router brand and was so light weight. Didn’t need one anyway.

Last edited:
John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
Looks like it was originally sold as a system.
1593624815950.png

Though i am sure there is no connection, they look like the Quad S series with the ribbon tweeter and curve on the top.
1593625019154.png

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I doubt they sound anything like a ribbon but I’ve never heard one. I think I’m passing.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Those actually look like planar tweeters, not true ribbon tweeters.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Those actually look like planar tweeters, not true ribbon tweeters.
I would have picked them up but no reviews. Planar tweeters I’ve never heard either. They looked good in person just didn’t dig the logo on the woofer.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
At $15, I'd have to give these Phillips a shot, I've had good luck with Philips over the years.
...and they were the company that pioneered/developed the CD format!
I like Phillips too just something told me not to get them. If they are there next time I pop in I’ll grab them. Doubtful they will be there though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis