Are These Finds Good Deals?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I contacted that one also! In the write up they said that the tweeter and drivers are still available from PhaseTech, but due to health problems can't really do the work to fix them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That seems like a very easy fix, phase tech has great customer service. If not, $15 for a tweeter and woofer and two cabinets!
Yeah. I'm buying those no matter what. 15 bucks?! Easy sounding fix?! Now I'm a little excited. I hope they haven't sold them already. Only way to contact was email. Waiting for a reply...

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Yeah. I'm buying those no matter what. 15 bucks?! Easy sounding fix?! Now I'm a little excited. I hope they haven't sold them already. Only way to contact was email. Waiting for a reply...
Hehe I’m jealous. Where are you located? Your Craigslist area is loaded. Mine not so much.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hehe I’m jealous. Where are you located? Your Craigslist area is loaded. Mine not so much.
I live in Mesa in the Phoenix area in Arizona. Same valley. And yeah, there's a ton to sort through on Craigslist here. Ton of crap too. I've found a few white van suckers trying to recoup their losses already, lol.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Um, Phase Technology 7T floor speakers. One with a blown tweeter and woofer damage, the other working condition... $15!
Go get them .... try your hand at DIY or sell the cabinets for a small profit

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Go get them .... try your hand at DIY or sell the cabinetes for a small profit
Oh I am. Just waiting for a reply. I'm actually really glad to see you pop in here man. I know you have a lot of experience with different speakers.

OH! Just talked to the Phase Technology guy! I'm heading out there right now to check 'em out!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay, I got the Phase Technology speakers for 15 bucks. The cabinets are beat up and look unfinished. They originally had socks that covered the whole tower so I understand the unfinished look. I did get the top plates that go with them too. Overall they're definitely some ugly ducklings, lol.

One is in perfect working order and one has a non functioning tweeter, as advertised. That same one also has some physical damage on the woofer cone. I guess someone grabbed it and used the edge of the cabinet and driver as a handle to carry it... :oops:

20190903_163659-1305x734.jpg

The rest of the pics are of the damaged speaker. The other one looks pretty much the same with no damage to the driver and a working tweeter.

20190903_163710-1305x734.jpg

20190903_163648-734x1305.jpg
20190903_163742-1305x734.jpg
20190903_163728-1305x734.jpg

Should the port be smoother and flared at the end? I don't think I've seen ports as unfinished looking as that. It looks like something might be missing?

Okay, I did hook them up and placed them right in front of my Ultras. I played a few songs I know very well and I gotta say they made me smile. Even with 1 blown tweeter they sound pretty good. Good enough for me to feel better about how ugly they are right now, lol.

The undamaged one isn't displaying any bad behavior and sounds really nice. It does sound like a very neutral speaker. They are able to produce some good bass too. I'm gonna contact PhaseTech, see how much a replacement tweeter and woofer will be and and make a project out of them. I might even invest in some Acoustically transparent cloth or something and try to fashion a wrap for them... or maybe go another direction.

Hey, for 15 bucks I can't complain right? Once I get them both up and running I might even turn a profit, if I don't just straight up keep them. Once they're good to go I'm gonna swap them out with the Ultras, make them my mains for a little while and do some critical listening. If I like them enough I'll be hanging onto them and make a system out of them somewhere! So far I'm feeling okay about my $15.

Oh, I did dig up a mostly positive review on them and tho there aren't any charts they did do some measurements and they're not too bad.

"±3 dB from 20 Hz to 17 kHz except for a 4-dB dip in the 10-kHz region. Measurements with a swept one-third-octave random-noise signal made on the speaker's axis and 45 degrees off-axis showed a divergence between the two above 4 kHz, with the off-axis response down by 6 dB at 10 kHz and 15 dB at 20 kHz relative to the on-axis response. Quasi-anechoic MLS frequency-response measurements confirmed the essential features of the room measurements."

He goes more in depth in the full review here.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Okay, I got the Phase Technology speakers for 15 bucks. The cabinets are beat up and look unfinished. They originally had socks that covered the whole tower so I understand the unfinished look. I did get the top plates that go with them too. Overall they're definitely some ugly ducklings, lol.
he should of paid you $15 to take them away .... but will be a good DIY project for you

If you go checking again then look at the Infinity Interlude IL10 bookshelf speakers on your Craiglist

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
he should of paid you $15 to take them away .... but will be a good DIY project for you

If you go checking again then look at the Infinity Interlude IL10 bookshelf speakers on your Craiglist
Awesome. So zero value in the 15 bucks I spent. That's certainly disheartening.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
They might be good for a learning project. Probably not great for hi-fi though. You could take them apart, change components, tinker with them, and learn what makes a difference and what doesn't. Especially if you have a means to measure them.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They might be good for a learning project. Probably not great for hi-fi though. You could take them apart, change components, tinker with them, and learn what makes a difference and what doesn't. Especially if you have a means to measure them.
Well, they sound significantly better than the B&W 560s I had when I first started posting here, so I thought I did good. Sigh.

1636176a-6e75-4017-b082-300c79cf9d90.jpg

B

baronvonellis

Audioholic
Phase Tech are really good speakers! My Dad has had their speakers since 1990, and I've had them for 15 years. That one is from their midrange line. If you look for their PC series, they sound much better and had attractive high end wood veneer finishes. They made these unique flat piston drivers on their PC series. The only problem is they were covered in some open cell foam that disintegrates after 15 years. They still sound good, but the foam will kind of crumble when you touch it.

Their older ones didn't use rounded off ports, it wasn't till the 2000's that they started using flared ports. Yea, you can still order all their old woofers and tweeters from them, they must have a giant warehouse with every driver they've ever built. They have great service, it's a shame hardly anyone knows about them, since they do zero advertising or marketing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Just got off the phone with PhaseTech and Connie was super nice and super helpful. She's emailing me the info on replacement parts, which they have, even the sock. She also told me about a trade up program they have where I could ship them in and get the brand new equivalent at dealer cost. I dunno if I want to go there, but at least I can price the replacement drivers and sock and go from there.

The unfinished cabinets... I think that's just the way they did it, being that a sock covers the whole thing. That kinda makes sense to me anyway. I'll report back when I learn some more.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Just got off the phone with PhaseTech and Connie was super nice and super helpful. She's emailing me the info on replacement parts, which they have, even the sock. She also told me about a trade up program they have where I could ship them in and get the brand new equivalent at dealer cost. I dunno if I want to go there, but at least I can price the replacement drivers and sock and go from there.

The unfinished cabinets... I think that's just the way they did it, being that a sock covers the whole thing. That kinda makes sense to me anyway. I'll report back when I learn some more.
Have fun!

Man these were a steal. Phase Tech is a great brand.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
You got some value, and he gained $15 .... and you have a nice project ahead of you

Once you get the parts, then wrap them with the socks, you will have a nice set of speakers, then if you sell them, you will make a nice profit

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Yes, Definitive is the same way -- and the front port of your speakers favor the former Definitive DR series

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Here's the pricing for replacement drivers.

Screenshot_2019-09-04-09-17-35-1.png

And info on the trade up program.
Screenshot_2019-09-04-09-17-25-1024x640.png

Some pretty deeply discounted stuff there.

Doesn't 70 bucks for a 8" woofer seem a bit pricey? 50 for a tweeter? Sigh.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, they sound significantly better than the B&W 560s I had when I first started posting here, so I thought I did good. Sigh.

View attachment 30973
Don't let these guys rain on your parade. Do you think you will get $15 of entertainment out of them? If yes, then $ well spent!

Heck, these guys are getting your $15 raining on your parade!

Do what you can with them, hopefully enjoy them, maybe put them in the garage.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Almost certainly the cabs were unfinished due to the sock, no need to finish them, just a waste of $.

Modern DT and GE do the same with their cabs with socks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis