Are these defects detrimental?

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I know woofer dust covers do not emanate sound. I have a feeling that tweeter domes are the media that drives the sound. I hope I am wrong. If they do drive the sound, how bad are these?
In direct answer to your questions …

Yes, in tweeters the domes are equivalent to the cone of a larger driver. The tweeter voice coil is glued to the edge of the dome.

I've seen tweeters dented near the dome's center. They didn't sound noticeably different. But your tweeters are marred at the dome's edge. If that partially detached the dome from the voice coil, it could be a problem. I can't tell from a photo.

It's possible that the seller was genuinely sick. And it's possible that he's lying. My first guess is he sent a third tweeter because he knew he was sending visibly marred tweeters – that might be damaged. What price did you pay for those M&K tweeters?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
In direct answer to your questions …

Yes, in tweeters the domes are equivalent to the cone of a larger driver. The tweeter voice coil is glued to the edge of the dome.

I've seen tweeters dented near the dome's center. They didn't sound noticeably different. But your tweeters are marred at the dome's edge. If that partially detached the dome from the voice coil, it could be a problem. I can't tell from a photo.

It's possible that the seller was genuinely sick. And it's possible that he's lying. My first guess is he sent a third tweeter because he knew he was sending visibly marred tweeters – that might be damaged. What price did you pay for those M&K tweeters?
12 and a half bucks each. Or he could be genuinely sick and admittedly screwed up. Thx for the info on why these will probably not be up to snuff.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
His scam failed and now he still has a 100% rating. Smart-ish scammer. The worst.

A plague on his house.
I've been on ebay for 23 years this month with almost 1200 fb at 100%. So I can tell you that is generally not how ebay works. A scammer would not have 100% and a good seller would protect his fb profile from even one possible neg or neutral.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
The dents in the the domes probably don't matter sonically. But NOS means new, not used and damaged. I wouldn't accept them. I was scammed on Ebay once on a camera lens. Sadly the guy was in Spain and the cost of returning was beyond sensible. So I threw it away. No more international Ebay purchases for me.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
The dents in the the domes probably don't matter sonically. But NOS means new, not used and damaged. I wouldn't accept them. I was scammed on Ebay once on a camera lens. Sadly the guy was in Spain and the cost of returning was beyond sensible. So I threw it away. No more international Ebay purchases for me.
New old stock. But he shipped the wrong ones and refunded me already.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis