Are there any GOOD 8” subs?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Just reading a little about the Cabasse M2 8" subwoofer:
The membrane of the loudspeaker is thus held with an iron hand. Good point: the vent of the bass-reflex load is laminar type, to avoid airflow noise at high level of listening.
They could probably get greater SPL if they didn't have an iron hand holding it.
FWIW, It is a vented speaker.
The very successful aesthetics of this box favors its installation in a room of life.
Well... it is your bedroom, but I think the salient question is whether you have procreated in there! Otherwise it might not fit in too well.

It does not mention having the "bug shape" like Canton Ventos have. That is somewhat disappointing!

;):D

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
But if the specs posted on A4L can be believed (111 dB, I'm assuming at 1 meter), that puts its performance right at that of the RSL Speedwoofer, just with perhaps a whole tone to minor third less extension on the low end.
IMHO, A4L is a straightforward, no BS company; however, I'm sure the specifications they post come from the manufacturers, so it is really a question of whether Cabasse can be believed!

In the case of the 8" Def Tech ProSub 800 subwoofer, I doubt it plays 20Hz!:rolleyes:
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/deftechprosub800blk/definitive-technology-prosub-800-8-300-watt-high-output-compact-subwoofer-black/1.html#!specifications.

Cabasse claims 29Hz out of their 8" and 28Hz for their 10", which seems much more likely!

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
IMHO, A4L is a straightforward, no BS company; however, I'm sure the specifications they post come from the manufacturers, so it is really a question of whether Cabasse can be believed!

In the case of the 8" Def Tech ProSub 800 subwoofer, I doubt it plays 20Hz!:rolleyes:
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/deftechprosub800blk/definitive-technology-prosub-800-8-300-watt-high-output-compact-subwoofer-black/1.html#!specifications.

Cabasse claims 29Hz out of their 8" and 28Hz for their 10", which seems much more likely!
Cabasse's specs might be something like -10 dB points. I certainly wouldn't believe the responses are flat to those frequencies with cabinets like that. One interesting note is the series name of 'Santorin' which is also a name for Santorini which is a drop-dead gorgeous greek island. But that isn't why Cabasse named their subs the Santorin line. Santorin is also known as Thera, site of the largest volcanic explosion in recorded history and so is a great name for a subwoofer. I'm not so sure Cabasse's subs live up to their namesake, but what could?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I ordered the 10” Cabasse that KEW recommended.

Thanks Kurt
I hope it works out for you!

To be clear, I was just listing options - I have never heard them - both of the 8" subs I have heard are now discontinued!.
I do think it is a good gamble.
I would hope, with a $1600 MSRP, they are reasonably competent!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
No tax even in California like Good4it? They absorb it?
I'm not sure about Cali but they didn't charge me tax or shipping for my C34E's and my speedwoofer here in Texas. That was pretty sweet

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Cabasse's specs might be something like -10 dB points. I certainly wouldn't believe the responses are flat to those frequencies with cabinets like that.
What is it about the cabinet that makes you skeptical?
I guess Outlaw is fudging their claims for the M8?
They claim 29Hz at -3dB and the Cabasse cabinet is slightly larger! Cabasse claims 29Hz as well.

Accordingly, 28Hz for 10" doesn't seem like a stretch. Sound&Vision measured the Elac Sub10EQ at -3dB at 25Hz and is in a smaller cabinet than the 10" Cabasse (which claims 28Hz)!
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/elac-debut-f5-speaker-system-review-specs

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What is it about the cabinet that makes you skeptical?
I guess Outlaw is fudging their claims for the M8?
They claim 29Hz at -3dB and the Cabasse cabinet is slightly larger! Cabasse claims 29Hz as well.

Accordingly, 28Hz for 10" doesn't seem like a stretch. Sound&Vision measured the Elac Sub10EQ at -3dB at 25Hz and is in a smaller cabinet than the 10" Cabasse (which claims 28Hz)!
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/elac-debut-f5-speaker-system-review-specs
The Elac sub is likely heavily equalized to achieve that F3. I would bet that isn't the system's natural F3.

As for the Cabasse subs, they could be -3dB at 29 Hz, but if they are, the port is probably too small for the cabinet. I would need to see measurements to be convinced.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
What did you end up getting and how did it work out for you?
Bought a Def Tech 8” sub off EBAY. Let you know more when I get it. The LS50s are working better this time. Since it’s a bedroom system Idon’t play too loud. But will try the sub and see if it’s needed.

Update: just received the sub Monday the 25th. It’s heavy and in good condition, will know more after I listen.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis