Are the HiFiMAN HE-400S Headphones Any Good?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
At $299, the HiFiMAN HE-400S comes in at the most affordable price for a planar dynamic driver headphone of its nature in the marketplace. With hopes to entice budding audiophiles, HiFiMAN have managed to release a very solid performing model with a luscious midrange and evenly balanced low and high-end. At 22 Ohms and a relatively light 12 Oz weight, the model is set to be a versatile release to capture more of this growing market share.

Read: HiFiMAN HE-400S Headphone Review

Have you heard these headphones? If so, share your experiences here.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
If it sounds as good as my HE400 then it should be one of the best values in audio. By the way you can still buy the HE400 on Amazon for $299. I haven't heard anything better at that price.

tyhjaarpa

tyhjaarpa

Audioholic Field Marshall
If it sounds as good as my HE400 then it should be one of the best values in audio. By the way you can still buy the HE400 on Amazon for $299. I haven't heard anything better at that price.
I myself have tried HE400 for short period and I prefer HD600 over them.. Would have to take longer time to get used to them and possibly find more positive things about them.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Sounds like a great deal. I think the HiFi Man phones in general are at the top of the performance curve for their price points.

D

DefTechFan

Audiophyte
These headphones get much better after the recommended break in period (Hifiman says 150 hours - I heard the positive difference before that mark) and using either the "FocusPad" or "FocusPad-A" ear pads. Both are sold by Hifiman and offer two slightly different sounds. Both affect bass in a positive way in my opinion - bass has more punch and impact due to the pads leaking less low frequencies. Either way these headphones are a great value and I look forward to matching it up to the right amp.

I

IEMPatel

Audioholics Inner Ear Monitor
These headphones get much better after the recommended break in period (Hifiman says 150 hours - I heard the positive difference before that mark) and using either the "FocusPad" or "FocusPad-A" ear pads. Both are sold by Hifiman and offer two slightly different sounds. Both affect bass in a positive way in my opinion - bass has more punch and impact due to the pads leaking less low frequencies. Either way these headphones are a great value and I look forward to matching it up to the right amp.
Definitely agree with this. ALO Continental Dual Mono Amp which I've also reviewed here on Audioholics has an outstanding synergy with the HE-400S. If you want a more affordable solution, the Schiit Magni 2U and Modi 2U combination is also good.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis