Are THD ratings on Yamaha receivers accurate?

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
Yamahaluver, I'm looking in your direction. The reason I'm asking is that previous Yamaha receivers, like the now discontinued 5790, showed the THD rating to be .03% @ 1KHz (if memory serves). The new 5890 claims a THD of 0.7% @ 1KHz! What's with the dramatic spike in THD? Are these THD numbers considered to be snake-oil most of the time? I know it can be difficult to tell in some cases, but going from .03 to .7 is huge increase!

Francious70

Francious70

Senior Audioholic
Yea, but anything under 2% is inaudible anyways. The "dramatic" increase dosen't really matter.

Paul

annunaki

annunaki

Rating at a higher THD makes the unit appear to have more power. Say the receiver does 80 watts per channel at .03% thd but does 100 wats at .7% thd. The higher power # is easier to sell. Chances are, that the receiver probably does 10 less watts or so at .03% thd as opposed to it's .7% thd rating.

nick_danger

nick_danger

Audioholic
annunaki said:
Rating at a higher THD makes the unit appear to have more power. Say the receiver does 80 watts per channel at .03% thd but does 100 wats at .7% thd. The higher power # is easier to sell. Chances are, that the receiver probably does 10 less watts or so at .03% thd as opposed to it's .7% thd rating.
OK, the 5890 manual isn't available, but the 5790's is. It states that the THD for minimum RMS at 20-20,000Hz @ 8 Ohms @ 110Wx7 is 0.04%. At maximum power @ 1,000Hz, THD is 10.0% @ 8 Ohms @ 165W. Then there are even more ratings, like DIN for the U.K. that says 0.07% THD for 1,000Hz @ 4 Ohms @ 170W. There's a whole ton of different ratings to go by.

I need edumacate myself on all these Hz, Ohms, Watts, and distortions...

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
All those ratings are the same. Amazing how they differ at different ohms, THD, kHz, etc... Different countries require different standards. In the UK, all their equipment runs on 220V. That changes things a bit. A lot of their speakers run at 6 ohms, not 8. I wouldn't get too caught up in it. Generally, you get what you pay for in terms of electronics. Stick with the better brands, and try to stay near the the mid to top end of the equipment. Look for sales or end of year models. Equipment doesn't change all that much year to year.

MarkH

MarkH

Enthusiast
The HTR Yamaha range is generally rated at 1kHz, while the more traditional RXV series is 20 - 20kHz. This is pretty much universal no matter which country you're in.

annunaki

annunaki

nick_danger said:
OK, the 5890 manual isn't available, but the 5790's is. It states that the THD for minimum RMS at 20-20,000Hz @ 8 Ohms @ 110Wx7 is 0.04%. At maximum power @ 1,000Hz, THD is 10.0% @ 8 Ohms @ 165W. Then there are even more ratings, like DIN for the U.K. that says 0.07% THD for 1,000Hz @ 4 Ohms @ 170W. There's a whole ton of different ratings to go by.

I need edumacate myself on all these Hz, Ohms, Watts, and distortions...
Here is an audio terms page:

http://www.electronixwarehouse.com/education/glossary.htm

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis