Are rubber walls a bad idea?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Do you have any experience measuring rooms and treating the acoustical problems? I do- I also have college-level acoustics in my background and the professor wasn't a TA or someone "who knows about this stuff", he was a real Physics PhD. who was recruited for the Manhattan Project.

Denying the effectiveness doesn't make your opinion fact.

How would you deal with bad acoustics while people are speaking with no amplification? Which local concert halls are your favorites? You might look around- I can almost guarantee that most have acoustical treatments.
I have never had a need to install acoustical treatments as I am not in the habit of installing audio equipment in public lavatories.

I have used speakers in a wide variety of locations while making live recordings and have never encountered a room I could not reliably monitor in.

In our home the AV room has designed optimal dimensions and there are architectural features to optimize the room, but no ugly sound treatments.

The great room and family room have no special treatments and sound excellent.

So no, I have zero need of acoustic treatments. Family and friends voices sound normal and as they always do. So speakers should NOT require special treatment, and if there was a problem the speakers would be studied and likely redesigned in some way.

highfigh

highfigh

I have never had a need to install acoustical treatments as I am not in the habit of installing audio equipment in public lavatories.

I have used speakers in a wide variety of locations while making live recordings and have never encountered a room I could not reliably monitor in.

In our home the AV room has designed optimal dimensions and there are architectural features to optimize the room, but no ugly sound treatments.

The great room and family room have no special treatments and sound excellent.

So no, I have zero need of acoustic treatments. Family and friends voices sound normal and as they always do. So speakers should NOT require special treatment, and if there was a problem the speakers would be studied and likely redesigned in some way.
The OP's question could have been answered with "Yes" or "No".

Speakers don't require treatment, ROOMS require this but some speaker choices make it necessary. Speakers should be chosen for their dispersion when possible, but if you check consumer speaker systems, polar dispersion patterns aren't usually offered, while commercial/industrial product technical information DOES include this.

This thread isn't about your room & preferences, your rooms have nothing to do with anything outside of them and you don't seem to understand the scope of the acoustics industry or why it's necessary. Do you think architectural schools teach acoustics for their health? No, they teach it so fledgling archis don't go into the world, designing acoustical nightmares.

Room treatments (literal or coincidental) are in every private and public place, visible, or not, and in many places where reflections and echo are a problem. Acoustical problems exist in almost every building and when the space has minimal objects and furnishings, the problems remain while furniture that's made of hard/non-porous materials do little to help. Adding some soft materials and objects makes a big difference. Changing the place isn't an option for most people.

In contrast to your anecdotal opinion, my house is older, isn't going to be changed by me beyond what I have already done, and when I have used any speakers, had problems in the upper bass below 100Hz. I tested the panels I made for a demo in a home theater build while I ran REW and could easily see that with each panel came improvement in the response. Ultimately, I was able to eliminate the problems and the sound is much better. Is this because I'm delusional? No, it's verifiable objectively AND subjectively.

EVERY room has its own sonic signature and some have sonic problems because of the materials and/or dimensions but thinking that your system is perfect is, as you would say, bollocks. Not the dog's bollocks, just bollocks. You prefer it above all others and that's ideal. It may well be the best room in history but statistically unlikely but I would also ask- is your hearing perfect? It's possible that you can't hear something that could be measured and found to be 'out of the range for perfection'- we all lose hearing acuity.

You're fixated on the idea that the speakers are at fault in all cases, when the rooms can be and are the problem. Those problems CAN and ARE addressed in professionally designed spaces, research has been done for many decades and if you do some research, you would find that reverberation over a specific time range makes music virtually un-listenable and speech unintelligible.

You want to think in absolute terms but that's not practical and it's not applicable in applications outside of your control.

Acoustical treatments can definitely be ugly, but many are unnoticeable and many look like wallpaper or painted surfaces- not all are panels that hang on walls or from ceilings.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Acoustics is a solution to problems that are difficult to solve in other (reasonably priced) ways.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Biggest problems with rooms is that decorative/architectural trends and other strict accommodations often put the ears in the worst place with regard to those first and secondary reflections. The larger than life video screens that are all the rage now exacerbate this condition even more. Used to be, the cure was to install the system where it could most efficiently be fit, and then find the best natural sweet spot and work from there out. People tend to be stubborn in this regard, especially if there is an overbearing spouse-in-charge to overcome.

Secondly, the trend towards sparse and sterile accommodations start the space as a super excitable echo chamber. Wide open layouts with every surface reflective. People want to be able to clean a whole room with a swiffer and not much else. If they let their grandmothers from the '50s and '60s furnish it for them, they'd be ahead of the game.

We used to get away with a lot more, when overstuffed pit grouped furnishing, and other various seating arrangements were included. There would often be bookshelves, randomly placed arm chairs and other clutter about the room.

When I used to install carpet for a living, you could 'hear' the room change as we moved furniture out piece-by-piece, and with the most stark change being when the old rug was stripped, and then reinstalled. Once all the furniture was back in, you could notice that you no longer had to quiet your speech, and could just talk without effort. That trade taught me the most about rooms. Ever since, I have been sure to have 'enough' randomly padded surfaces in the room and other disruptions.

highfigh

highfigh

Secondly, the trend towards sparse and sterile accommodations start the space as a super excitable echo chamber. Wide open layouts with every surface reflective. People want to be able to clean a whole room with a swiffer and not much else. If they let their grandmothers from the '50s and '60s furnish it for them, they'd be ahead of the game.

We used to get away with a lot more, when overstuffed pit grouped furnishing, and other various seating arrangements were included. There would often be bookshelves, randomly placed arm chairs and other clutter about the room.

When I used to install carpet for a living, you could 'hear' the room change as we moved furniture out piece-by-piece, and with the most stark change being when the old rug was stripped, and then reinstalled. Once all the furniture was back in, you could notice that you no longer had to quiet your speech, and could just talk without effort. That trade taught me the most about rooms. Ever since, I have been sure to have 'enough' randomly padded surfaces in the room and other disruptions.
A big pit group saved an installation where I wanted to use treatments, the homeowner agreed and his wife overrode everything. That room had terrazzo floor, lath & plaster ceiling, mortared masonry walls and long echo times. Once the big rug and pit group were in place to stop the sound from the speakers that were placed in the low cabinet (below ear level), it actually sounded pretty good, considering the alternatives.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
A big pit group saved an installation where I wanted to use treatments, the homeowner agreed and his wife overrode everything. That room had terrazzo floor, lath & plaster ceiling, mortared masonry walls and long echo times. Once the big rug and pit group were in place to stop the sound from the speakers that were placed in the low cabinet (below ear level), it actually sounded pretty good, considering the alternatives.
I had to look that up. I don't think I've heard of a sectional being referred to as a pit group before. Is that an American term, like couch vs sofa?

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I had to look that up. I don't think I've heard of a sectional being referred to as a pit group before. Is that an American term, like couch vs sofa?
America is a melting pot. All of those descriptions apply somewhere and interchangeably. Ask again tomorrow and we'll call it something else.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
It perplexes me, the modern approaches to acoustics, with all that we have learned over the decades. Cozy, efficient homes, have always been the best listening spaces. Divided rooms, many of which that by familial function and sized/optimized accordingly, ended up much nearer to that golden ratio, more often than not.

If I added heavy curtains to mine now, it would fix about all I needed to from here on out.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis