Are rubber walls a bad idea?

L

LoudAsFudge

Audiophyte
I came across some 72"×42×3/4 rubber gym/stahl mats for $40. My idea is to hang em with 2 hanger bolts apiece, a few inches from drywall. Probably put absorption material in between. Limp mass to the max(70lbs. Ea. ). They're corrugated on one side. Is this patent pending or crazy? I can't get picture size file small enough...

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It depends. Rubber still has a surface, so it will still reflect sound at probably many frequencies. It will absorb likely only specific ranges, which is why you don't see rubber sound recording rooms. Random surface area is better at diffusing sound.

L

LoudAsFudge

Audiophyte
The corrugated side should scatter mids and highs. Flexible limp mat should absorb pressure, especially with the spring effect from absorbant material behind it, helping with the low end. Density should keep sound in room. 3 in 1. But I'm probably missing something because I haven't seen it done anywhere. Was hoping it was cost.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think it will depend on the frequencies you are trying to control and whether you are trying to keep it from transmitting to other rooms or just minimize in-room reflections. Rubber will contain/damp bass most likely, but not the upper octaves.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Generally I'd consider rubber more a reflective substance than absorbent.....If you have that much space from walls use proper stuff

L

LoudAsFudge

Audiophyte
Pressure absorber ( i think a powerful one). Like 1/2 dry wall on those isolation brackets+hat channel. I dont think they'll absorbe like a fibre board. I think the corregations will also trap sound. Plus scatterer. Plus keep the sound out the rest of the house. Again, probably missing something but an engineer I've been talking with said it should work.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Bass traps do have material designed to absorb sound energy, but they are engineered for specific frequencies. A random size mat will maybe absorb one certain frequency if you're lucky. Likewise, the spacing on the corrugated side is fixed. That means it will affect different frequencies in different ways; scatter some, reflect others. If your only goal is to prevent sound from traveling through the drywall, the mats may help, but they will make an acoustical mess inside the room. Acoustic panels are not new science and have been around for decades. There are reasons that they are designed a specific way.

Last edited:
L

LoudAsFudge

Audiophyte
The idea is any frequency that can generate enough pressure to wiggle a suspended, 3/4" thick mat will be reduced. Corrugated wall panels are a thing, especially when they're perforated. The areas where I don't want corrugations I can cover with dry erase board or anything else. All I'll need is a straight jacket!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis