Are power conditioners worth the money

H

HD Krazie

Audiophyte
I have a $20.00 monster cable power strip. My home theater system is worth $3,000. Should I expect to see an improvement in audio & video performance if I purchase their pricey power conditioners?

nibhaz

nibhaz

Audioholic Chief
Probably not...

If you do not currently have a problem with electrical noise than the answer is most likely no! However you do get more insurance when you but higher end conditioners. If you decide that you do want to try something new, I would look at products from TrippLite, Furman, and Panamax before considered anything from monster. It's not that monster products are bad products, but rather they are overpriced.

S

sjdgpt

Senior Audioholic
HD Krazie said:
I have a $20.00 monster cable power strip. My home theater system is worth $3,000. Should I expect to see an improvement in audio & video performance if I purchase their pricey power conditioners?
Performance?

No.

A line conditioner serves the purpose of removing EMF RFI noise. That's it. Nothing else.

If you are one of the fortunate few that has absolutely no EMF RFI noise, you will not notice one bit of improvement. For most people their equipment was appropriately designed for real world usage, and the equipment is suppressing the noise, so they will not hear/see any improvement. For the rest of the world, the improvement will be a removal of the hum, whine, buzz etc that should not be present in the audio signal, and the flash and distortion in visual signals. That is it. The music will not be louder, the TV color will not be brighter.

Since most "better" surge suppressors have a built in line conditioner, I strongly suggest people buy the combo unit.

Rat Shack has a unit for about $55 and I believe it includes staged turn on and turn off.

Was at Office Max the other night. Their Belkin products were $30 to $50, depending upon the number of outlets, and offered 60db of noise suppression, but did not feature staged turn on/off.

Staged turn on and turn off will power up the DVD and TV before the Receiver so that the transient noise of the DVD and TV being powered up is not amplified by the Receiver. Conversely the Receiver is powered off first for the same reason.

Remember, there seldom is a need to spend big $.

H

HD Krazie

Audiophyte
Thanks a lot for your help guys. I was at Best Buy the other day looking at one but I did not purchase it. I've had the power strip for about 3yrs and have had no problems. I don't have an electrical noise problem, so I think I'll save my money.

JohnA

JohnA

Audioholic Chief
There is a difference between the power strip (surge protector) that you have and a Power Conditioner.

While a surge protector might protect you from some electrical spikes it does not regulate the power. A power conditioner takes the varying input voltage (anywhere from 87V to 140V) and outputs a solid 120V.

I personally wouldn't trust a $20 power strip to protect my equipment. I would want a little more protection, esp. where I live and get a lot of electrical storms.

Just my $.02

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis