Are displays become like cameras?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
I was looking at cameras and it had me wondering whether TV's are becoming like cameras? Remember the pixel wars? 3, 6, 8, 10, 16...Mega pixels? Or even computers? There's always a sweet spot with performance to cost.

We're seeing 8k even though 4k is still in it's infancy. There's still not a ton of content out there for 4k but 8k is already here. When I bought a larger TV I went 4k. IMO, the HDR is the best part of 4k content. Other than that, I'd really have to nitpick to see the resolution difference between high quality 1080 and 4k. Also, at this price point there was no point in not going 4k.

We saw 1080 mature. It's the broadcast standard now. Even the high channels like METV are transmitting in 1080. As mentioned, 4k is not there yet in content let alone broadcasting. The questions are:

Do we expect 4k to fully mature or or they going to go straight to 8k or ? ? Which wouldn't be bad for the current 4k user.

By the time 8k (or 4k) really gets going is 16k/32/etc going to come out with new ways besides just resolution to make the pictures look better? Yes, I know 16k is out. With digital photography, early on I would skip a generation. Now I'm to the point of looking at improvements in other associated technology, focusing, iso performance, etc. Megapixel wise the cameras are pretty much all at a resolution for me to make very large prints.

How long will it take before a new display resolution becomes like where we're at with 1080? Or have we hit the point where it's like buying a camera or computer? For the masses it's more about the sweet spot in pricing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't look at me, I'm happy with 1080 still. I've thought a bit about 4k last time I wanted another set, but found another 1080 plasma just one model different than the one I had already for $200 so that worked out really well :). I'm still not impressed with available 4k content, and until recently had no way to stream it due internet service, and suspect that will still come with some potential issues. I'm not a videophile particularly, and wouldn't upgrade my avrs along with new tvs to get beyond the 1080/1080i I've got now. Now maybe if I got the 4k and Atmos bug simultaneously....

I've no idea what my cameras or phone camera's resolution/pixel numbers are either....rarely use them but they probably would not be what someone who is serious about that would use either. Yet I understand your point and think we're there but the thought that there'd be widespread 8k content any time soon.....

ps and like with hi-res audio, how much is truly 4k or just simply upconverted like a cd marketed as a hi-res 24/96 flac ?

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
ps and like with hi-res audio, how much is truly 4k or just simply upconverted like a cd marketed as a hi-res 24/96 flac ?
Right? I removed a comment where a said excellent produced and recorded music sounds better compressed to 128kbps than most FLAC that's been recorded. I'm old school in that I didn't even buy an bluray player until I could rent them (that kind of dates me :oops:)

Based on responses, either people don't care or they're as confused as I am. Then again, maybe it's just a marketing ploy to get people to "upgrade;" both AVRs and displays. There seems internet noise about the new 8k AVRs and displays. I admit if I needed an AVR, and the price point was right for an 8k ready AVR, I would probably go with one of them just for all the other updates. However, at this point I don't see any reason to believe 8k is going to gain anymore traction than 4k is at the moment, or 16, 24, or 32k might!

I'm just dumbfounded that 8k, as well as16k, are already out there and 4k is still a pipe dream in terms of content. Technology must move forward, I am an EE, but like I said about bluray, something needs to mature before the next generation comes out.

Oh well, break an ankle:cool:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I waited for blurays to be available on Netflix myself. Or these days the somewhat oddly named dvd.netflix.com :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Honestly, the reason manufacturers up the resolution without any "real" feature adds like HDR or Dolby Vision is to sell TVs. Just like pushing 3D when the 1080p sets were around for a long time. There just wasn't a reason to buy a TV until the 3D fad came about.

Same here with resolution. HDR adds much more to video quality than the actual 4K resolution does. I've got three 1080p displays and 2 4K HDR displays. One of the 4K tvs really does look great in HDR mode, but isn't special otherwise. One of my 1080p always looks excellent, but doesn't support HDR (not that I watch movies on it anyway).

The only way panel resolution comes into play would be my projector. a 120" screen at a little more than 10' away would benefit from the higher resolution. HDR even more, but I don't plan to update the PJ any time soon since it still works perfectly. When the bulb dies, a decision will have to be made.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Honestly, the reason manufacturers up the resolution without any "real" feature adds like HDR or Dolby Vision is to sell TVs. Just like pushing 3D when the 1080p sets were around for a long time. There just wasn't a reason to buy a TV until the 3D fad came about.

Same here with resolution. HDR adds much more to video quality than the actual 4K resolution does. I've got three 1080p displays and 2 4K HDR displays. One of the 4K tvs really does look great in HDR mode, but isn't special otherwise. One of my 1080p always looks excellent, but doesn't support HDR (not that I watch movies on it anyway).

The only way panel resolution comes into play would be my projector. a 120" screen at a little more than 10' away would benefit from the higher resolution. HDR even more, but I don't plan to update the PJ any time soon since it still works perfectly. When the bulb dies, a decision will have to be made.
HDR aside, there is very little reason to upgrade just to increase pixel count as my TV is over 15ft away my 55" 1080p might as well be 720p - I won't be able to tell the difference. In fact, I'd need 120" screen to see all the details of 1080p from 16ft and 250" screen to see all the available details of 4k.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I was looking at cameras and it had me wondering whether TV's are becoming like cameras? Remember the pixel wars? 3, 6, 8, 10, 16...Mega pixels? Or even computers? There's always a sweet spot with performance to cost.

We're seeing 8k even though 4k is still in it's infancy. There's still not a ton of content out there for 4k but 8k is already here. When I bought a larger TV I went 4k. IMO, the HDR is the best part of 4k content. Other than that, I'd really have to nitpick to see the resolution difference between high quality 1080 and 4k. Also, at this price point there was no point in not going 4k.

We saw 1080 mature. It's the broadcast standard now. Even the high channels like METV are transmitting in 1080. As mentioned, 4k is not there yet in content let alone broadcasting. The questions are:

Do we expect 4k to fully mature or or they going to go straight to 8k or ? ? Which wouldn't be bad for the current 4k user.

By the time 8k (or 4k) really gets going is 16k/32/etc going to come out with new ways besides just resolution to make the pictures look better? Yes, I know 16k is out. With digital photography, early on I would skip a generation. Now I'm to the point of looking at improvements in other associated technology, focusing, iso performance, etc. Megapixel wise the cameras are pretty much all at a resolution for me to make very large prints.

How long will it take before a new display resolution becomes like where we're at with 1080? Or have we hit the point where it's like buying a camera or computer? For the masses it's more about the sweet spot in pricing.
With the introduction of a new display tech like Micro-LED, they're already getting ready to market to you 16K.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis