lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If they all sound different to you then you have to try all of them before you know which one to keep. That's if sound quality is most important to you.
That would take a while unless you believe a brand has a particular sound to cut the number of models down with....it's like trying all the amps to find that "magic" for your mood/speakers at the moment. :)

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
What’s avrs do you guys run right now? I just bought 8012 because it was a great deal. Want to offer it to friends or family.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I really don't think it matters myself. They're just tools and if performing within spec you can do with them as you can.... I have a coupla Denons, an older Onkyo and Sony and had a Pioneer (actually one and a half...one developed noise but it was like 3.1 capable so just moved on) that went belly up....more about features/connectivity for me. Just tools.

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
I was just curious, seems like a lot of guys here love denon. Kinda why I tried 4500 and 6700 again. I loved my 4308 years ago. Then went to 4311 then 4520 as I upgraded. Then I tried pioneer and Yamaha and I just liked them better. Every few years I switch one out for something with new features.

I really was looking to see if AH had any Arcam owners and if they noticed issues. Avs has a long thread on these Arcam but I respect people here more.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Personally I just don't see the value in churning though all those relatively similar models....you have an avr problem the more I see :)

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
That gave me a great laugh! This is all for fun and I definitely have been lucky in life with a great family and excellent job. Buying a 8012 open box for $1399 isn’t going to hurt anyone. Especially when I can sell it for more or pass on the deal to someone else.
Every few years I upgrade my main room and it actually is a wiser way to go to save money. If you buy a $2000 avr and wait 10 years it’s worth maybe $200-300. If I buy something on sale or a great value at $2000 a few years later I can get $1500-1700. After 10 years I’d lose the similar amount of money but after 10 years I still have a valuable usable avr. Only thing I recommend keeping a long time is speakers and amps. Displays are really the biggest loser with value. A 2-3 year old oled that was $2500 might be worth $1000 to right buyer. And that 2-3 year old Samsung or Sony led that was $2000 is a $500 tv now. I’m a finance guy and not a engineer so I look at value differently.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
That gave me a great laugh! This is all for fun and I definitely have been lucky in life with a great family and excellent job. Buying a 8012 open box for $1399 isn’t going to hurt anyone. Especially when I can sell it for more or pass on the deal to someone else.
Can't agree more, and that's why after paying well over $3K for the AV8801, I told myself my next upgrade would be to $1,000 last year model AVR, hence my current cheap AVR-X4400H:D Even if an AVP would actually "sound better" (that they don't, not to me), you will never, or extremely unlikely to be able to get a good discount for even one that is two years outdated, like you generally can with AVRs.

Now there is apparently a big difference (objectively speaking only) between the 8015 and 8012, so if you can make some money, you may want to consider selling it, keep you beloved Arcam, and then try to score a similarly deal on the SR8015 in 2023.;) It it was me though, I would flip the AVR10 (should be easy, there are many fans), keep the SR8012 and still try to score on the SR8015 in 2023.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Arcam is now owned by Harman...
Their subcontractor in Vietnam is the same factory that originally built HK and Marantz AVRs...

Just my $0.02... ;)
Have you heard any rumors of Yamaha adding Dirac somewhere down the line?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Nope...
I doubt that would happen..
Yamaha prides themselves on their proprietary DSP features..

Just my $0.02... ;)
As long as Yamaha remains #1 in reliability, that's fine by me. :D

Timforhifi

Timforhifi

Full Audioholic
Can't agree more, and that's why after paying well over $3K for the AV8801, I told myself my next upgrade would be to $1,000 last year model AVR, hence my current cheap AVR-X4400H:D Even if an AVP would actually "sound better" (that they don't, not to me), you will never, or extremely unlikely to be able to get a good discount for even one that is two years outdated, like you generally can with AVRs.

Now there is apparently a big difference (objectively speaking only) between the 8015 and 8012, so if you can make some money, you may want to consider selling it, keep you beloved Arcam, and then try to score a similarly deal on the SR8015 in 2023.;) It it was me though, I would flip the AVR10 (should be easy, there are many fans), keep the SR8012 and still try to score on the SR8015 in 2023.
what makes the 8015 better then 8012? Besides extra 2 channels

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
what makes the 8015 better then 8012? Besides extra 2 channels
According to Gene, it has a higher version HDAMs and it measured much better on the bench than the SR8012. Also, based on Marantz own measurements, the SR8015 would be the best measured Marantz AVPs/AVRs, about the same as the Denon AVRs (except the flagship X8500H). I do not believe the difference would be audible, but it does tell you something has improved enough for the difference to be measurable/quantified on the test bench.

Aside from the difference that likely won't make an audible difference, being a 2020 model, the SR8015 has the preamp mode on the audio side, 8K/HDMI2.1 on the video side, and likely DTS:X pro on the codec side.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis