Arcam AVR Series vs. NAD T7XX Series vs. Cambridge Audio 640r

R

Relayer926

Audiophyte
Ok, let me just start this post with a hello as I am new here. Read a lot and finally thought it would be best to start posting to contribute where I can.

I am hoping that this doesn't come across as one of those should I pick A or B, cause I really don't want the decision made for me. Just getting some more insight.

I am in the process of deciding what my next AVR is going to be. For years I have kept my 2-channel and my HT in separate set ups. But I just moved and the new house has no where good to place my 2-channel, so I need to combine. My HT set-up has never been amazing, but it was fine for TV and such. But now that I am combining it's a whole new ball game. I need an AVR that is 50% 2-channel/50% HT worthy.

My current 2-channel system is a NAD c320bee with Focal 807s & a Cambridge d500se. I have been an avid NAD lover for years and that little amp is amazing. So I want to get that sort of experience with my HT. Once all is said and done my HT set up will be:
  • NEW AVR
  • Focal 807 fronts,Focal cc800v, Energy e:xl-15 rears & a ML Dynamo sub
  • PS3
  • CA d500se
  • TiVo HD

I have narrowed down to the NAD T-Series(755,765,775), Arcam AVR350(280) or the Cambridge 640r. I am asking for opinions NOT based on bells and whistles here, I am looking for pure SOUND & Build Quality advice. I know I love the NAD sound, but I have no way of hearing the Arcam or Cambridge (and how they pair with the Focal's) as there isn't a single dealer in my area that carries all these models in one place. I am trying to avoid driving all over the tri-state area to try to hear them all, so I am hoping so of your thoughts would help.

There are some offers I have found online for "B Stock" of the Arcam & NAD units. Are there any major things I should be concerned with in investing in B Stock?

I really appreciate the time and advice and look forward to keep posting and lending advice when I can as well!

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
Any of the three brands you’ve mentioned have reputations for very good sound quality. As for how each would sound with you particular setup, that’s hard to say. Have you given any thought to the idea of getting an inexpensive receiver that does all the latest surround decoding (The Yamaha V663 comes to mind) and then using it as a preamp/processor and then get a power amp. The Emotiva line is very good, or you could score a used Sunfire, B&K or such which would offer good sound for 2 channel music and multi-speaker surround sound.

J

John Bailey

Audioholic
I've owned a number of NAD amps and love their sound also. I've auditioned many Arcam with Magnepan and Vandersteen and found them to be similar to NAD, but better. I've not heard the Cambridge, so can't comment on that brand.

The NAD always seemed to be "quality" watts. I'm always looking for detail and separation and the NAD always gave me that without costing an arm and a leg. I seem to hear the same "quality" in the Arcam with the same detail and separation, but with a richer sound. I like the Arcam better, but it is more expensive. I should also note that I've only listened to the Arcam with Magnepan and Vandersteens, so the speakers are probably a lot of what I hear. The Arcam's were 50 watt and 70 watt integrated and I was surprised how well the pushed the famously hard to drive Magnepans.

As previously stated, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
Seth=L

Seth=L

Audioholic Overlord
A lot of how a speaker sounds with an amplifier is based on it's ability to drive every load that the speaker demands when playing at a particular level of output. If the amplifier can handle the load at any frequency and any level you would enjoy listening at then you have enough. NAD, Arcam, and Cambridge audio receivers are almost always a guarrantied fire in terms of handling loads (meaning they're ready for action in the amplifier department). There are a few receivers in other brands that can handle them just as well, but you have to look a bit for them. I've recommended on numerous occasions the Onkyo TX-SR805, which has the toutest amplifier in any receiver I've ever heard of in the surround sound receiver market. Five years ago such a receiver would have been anybody's top of the line minus the current technology in audio/video processing and connectivity.

The problem many people have with the Onkyo is not it's sound, but the amount of heat it dissapates. If you can't deal with the heat, then get something else (I won't force it down your throat, as much as I like it).

NAD has had some QC issues in the passed, but I've not heard much lately so hopefully that means they have gotten their act together. My only other major beef with NAD is their unnecessary use of a dated rating system (IHF). Other than that, basically every NAD receiver is stable with 4 ohm loads at it's maximum output capacity.

Assuming each of those receivers can handle the load of your speakers without any amplifier stress they should all sound very similar if not exactly the same.

I've always liked the cosmetics of Arcam and Cambridge better than NAD, dull matte grey doesn't get me excited.:D

P

pearsall001

Full Audioholic
Owning the NAD T765 AVR I can attest to it's performance 1st hand. It's a sheer delight for both HT & 2 channel listening. NAD has always designed & valued the importance of "Music First" with all of their models. Their new line of AVR's is an example of that.

I'm with you on the bells & whistles part. The T765 doesn't decode the newest audio formats but that's not a big deal to me...my BD (waiting for the new Oppo) player will take care of that using it's anaolg outs. It also only passes video thru HDMI, again a mute point for me. I never used video thru any AVR, I like going straight to the TV. The top two models (T785, T775) do however do all the latest HDMI video & audio.

The T765's preamp section for 2 channel is a sheer delight & won't leave you dissapointed. I've actually used a few other well know hi-end (CJ tube & Krell SS) separate pre's with their HT bypass & option & found no sonic difference between them & the NAD's AVR in 2 channel performance. They've both been sold & aren't missed at all.

As far as the Arcam & Cambridge units go, I never heard them so I won't comment. NAD has changed their color from battleship gray (which I personally really liked) to a really nice looking semi-gloss black. Don't people look at the new lines before they comment on the old battleship gray color (it's now long gone). Black is where it's at now.

I also love the way the QC issues that NAD had a few years back always seem to surface. Their no different from any other company in that department. All companies have had their issues, it's all in how well they handle those issues & NAD has done that quite well.

I can highly recommend NAD on their sound quality, build quality, outstanding customer service & just being an overall great product. Plus I've never had any sort of excessive heat issues that seem to plague other AVR companies lines.

R

Relayer926

Audiophyte
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the great info. I got some good take aways from your advice.

Wish I could go separates, but with limited space and a wife who doesn't want equipment dominating the room, I have to go single.

Right now I think the big thing holding me back from just going with the NAD was the QC issues with the T-7 series they were having and the fact the ones I am looking at are Refurbs. But, the dealer tried to explain to me sometimes the Refurbs are actually pretty good in the sense that the firmware is completely up-to-date and any issues the unit had was fixed. So I am taking it with a grain of salt at the moment because I am sure they want to make a sale. But does anyone have any thoughts on refurbs?

Pearsall001 - I agree with you. I have loved the battleship gray NAD color for years. It's sad to see it go, but I will always have my legacy pieces from NAD to look back on.

I have some emails out to the Customer Service of both NAD & Arcam to get some insight on their refurbs and service. Once I hear back I might make a decision. I'll keep all posted.

CraigV

CraigV

Audioholic General
Thanks everyone for the great info. I got some good take aways from your advice.

Wish I could go separates, but with limited space and a wife who doesn't want equipment dominating the room, I have to go single.

Right now I think the big thing holding me back from just going with the NAD was the QC issues with the T-7 series they were having and the fact the ones I am looking at are Refurbs. But, the dealer tried to explain to me sometimes the Refurbs are actually pretty good in the sense that the firmware is completely up-to-date and any issues the unit had was fixed. So I am taking it with a grain of salt at the moment because I am sure they want to make a sale. But does anyone have any thoughts on refurbs?

Pearsall001 - I agree with you. I have loved the battleship gray NAD color for years. It's sad to see it go, but I will always have my legacy pieces from NAD to look back on.

I have some emails out to the Customer Service of both NAD & Arcam to get some insight on their refurbs and service. Once I hear back I might make a decision. I'll keep all posted.

It’s a very valid question, and in a way, it makes sense – you’re not buying something new & wondering if it’s going to fail, you’re buying something which probably isn’t very old, already has failed, been fixed & updated, and still comes with a warranty. Nothing wrong with that IMO

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tcfish19

Enthusiast
I purchased an Arcam Movie Solo 5.1 B stock. Was taken back to have the firmware updated and then issued as B Stock. I got it at a really good price and was very nervous that it was a scam because it was so much lower than MSRP. It's my 1st Arcam piece and it sounds very good. So caulk up one good transaction for an Arcam re-furb/ B stock.

If I had the approval from my in house credit manager I would have gotten the Arcam AVR 600 in my main room. Best all in one 2 channel and surround receiver out right now. I wish I could have waited for the new Cambridge update to the 640r but I got sick of waiting. NAD, sorry, I'm not dealing with the issues. Yes they may be minor but they never seem to go away despite various firmware updates. Something in the design is flawed. New cards are supposed to fix but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I have zero complaints about my Yamaha Z7, absolutly zero. That's what I like the most about it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis