ARC output stopped working after Nintendo Switch turned on - Samsung TV and Yamaha receiver model included

Surfer949

Surfer949

Audiophyte
I have a UN65KS800D 65' Samsung TV and a Yahama RXV-381 receiver, everything was working fine (TV remote was controlling the receiver and sound was coming out of the receiver) until I turned on my Nintendo Switch. Now the TV doesn't see the receiver as a audio source and there is no sound coming from the receiver.

Troubleshooting steps so far:
I checked everything on both systems (nothing was changed) ARC on the receiver is on, and HDMI CEC / Anynet+ is turned on the TV. I tried reseating the ARC cable from both sides and turned on and off both systems. Changed HDMI cables.
If I press "set up" on the receiver remote control the receiver's menu appears on the TV. However, in the TV settings under the Audio option/source, the receiver output is no longer available.

Maybe turning on Nintendo Switch fried something? (Nintendo is plugged in via HDMI to the Samsung hub). I'm thinking the next step is to get a spare receiver and try ARC again.

Any other troubleshooting steps suggestions?

Attachments

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have a UN65KS800D 65' Samsung TV and a Yahama RXV-381 receiver, everything was working fine (TV remote was controlling the receiver and sound was coming out of the receiver) until I turned on my Nintendo Switch. Now the TV doesn't see the receiver as a audio source and there is no sound coming from the receiver.

Troubleshooting steps so far:
I checked everything on both systems (nothing was changed) ARC on the receiver is on, and HDMI CEC / Anynet+ is turned on the TV. I tried reseating the ARC cable from both sides and turned on and off both systems. Changed HDMI cables.
If I press "set up" on the receiver remote control the receiver's menu appears on the TV. However, in the TV settings under the Audio option/source, the receiver output is no longer available.

Maybe turning on Nintendo Switch fried something? (Nintendo is plugged in via HDMI to the Samsung hub). I'm thinking the next step is to get a spare receiver and try ARC again.

Any other troubleshooting steps suggestions?
I suspect the switch has caused the confusion, and you now possibly have an EDID conflict. Why do you need that switch?

Connect everything to the receiver and just use eARC for the audio from the TV apps. Samsung gear is renowned for HDMI conflicts with other gear. The rule is pretty much any TV other than Samsung.

I would start however by doing hard resets of both the receiver and the TV, and starting your set up from scratch. Keep that Nintendo switch out of the equation for now.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
IMO, ARC is hit or miss unless you have very few devices and it will depend on the exact devices and protocols they use as to whether or not they will work well with the AVR or each other. The Samsung hub is an interesting idea that really doesn't work IMO, the only benefit being one cable to the TV.

I agree, a hard reset of the TV and AVR would be a good start, then make sure both have the latest firmware. The Switch going to the AVR is likely to solve the issue too.

Surfer949

Surfer949

Audiophyte
IMO, ARC is hit or miss unless you have very few devices and it will depend on the exact devices and protocols they use as to whether or not they will work well with the AVR or each other. The Samsung hub is an interesting idea that really doesn't work IMO, the only benefit being one cable to the TV.

I agree, a hard reset of the TV and AVR would be a good start, then make sure both have the latest firmware. The Switch going to the AVR is likely to solve the issue too.
When you say hard reset you mean reset back to factory default for my TV and AVR?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It’s hard to get more than a couple hdmi devices to play nice. My firestick remote seems to be the dominant one although sometimes I have to press home button more than once to override my AppleTV. My Sony UHD player likes to try to take over whenever it’s powered on. The firestick remote brings it back to firetv though.

I had to eliminate my older TiVo entirely (moved my xfinity cable off TiVo cable card to their xfinity app on firetv).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
When you say hard reset you mean reset back to factory default for my TV and AVR?
Yes, a factory reset. I might try connecting the dock to the AVR first, to see if that works. I have used my switch with two different Pre/Pros and have not had any issues.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Good question. Initially, it was connected to the Samsung HUB and it was working fine.
Seems more logical to use the avr rather than the tv.....unless there was a particular reason for not doing that.....and could solve your problem.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Always try unplugging the TV and receiver power cords for a bit before a hard reset. If that doesn’t work. Go for the reset. I don’t miss the days when I had to unplug my Samsung TV to fix HDMI-CEC/ARC issues. There were far too many of them.

Surfer949

Surfer949

Audiophyte
Well folks I think I made it worse :rolleyes:. I did a hard reset on both TV and AVR and started fresh. Now the "HDMI OUT" red light is on on the receiver.
Just for kicks I'm ordering a new HDMI cable. I tested with another spare HDMI cable same results.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Well folks I think I made it worse :rolleyes:. I did a hard reset on both TV and AVR and started fresh. Now the "HDMI OUT" red light is on on the receiver.
Just for kicks I'm ordering a new HDMI cable. I tested with another spare HDMI cable same results.
In that case I suspect one of those pieces of equipment has blown up your HDMI board. I suspect it was the switch.

I fear it is new receiver time.

HDMI is a horrible and fragile interconnect system you have to be very careful with. It is not robust, but very fragile. It should never have seen the light of day.

In future keep HDMI inter connects as simple as possible. One connection to your TV and one to each of the inputs. Try and use gear you can trust and avoid units like that Nintendo switch.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It may not be the switch that caused it, could have been a HDMI board issue in the first place. With millions of switches out there, I kind of doubt it was the direct cause, but that is a possibility.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What does the manual say about that situation? Not sure what red light you're referring to but haven't had a Yamaha avr either.....

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Can you see the set up GUI menu on the screen now? If you can make sure the HDMI out to TV is on.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

@TLS Guy you do realize a Nintendo Switch is a type of game console?
Yes, and those switches seem to be renowned for HDCP code conflicts, especially with Samsung TVs.

It seems if you want a Samsung TV forget about using it in a complex system. It might connect to a sound bar if you are lucky. I suspect they are full of out of compliance HDCP codes and it seems others suspect so as well.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yes, and those switches seem to be renowned for HDCP code conflicts, especially with Samsung TVs.

It seems if you want a Samsung TV forget about using it in a complex system. It might connect to a sound bar if you are lucky. I suspect they are full of out of compliance HDCP codes and it seems others suspect so as well.
No issues with my previous or current Samsung TVs. Over generalization when it is just an opinion isn't exactly a Cinderella slipper and doesn't apply to all cases. Even within a single model year you might have differences in a TV and that isn't isolated to Samsung. Issues tend to show up when you have vastly different gear, especially when the TV is newer than the rest of it or vice versa or if the firmware is out of date on one or more device.

Surfer949

Surfer949

Audiophyte
Hey folks. So I purchase a Vizio soundbar V51 and the ARC is now working with my TV. So yeah my Yamaha's ARC is done for :(. I still use it for music listening.

Question about voice delay on this new sound bar. I messed around with the delay settings and it still sound off sync in movies. Maybe I'm not used to a sound bar coming from my HTD Level 2 center channel it's quite a change.

Overall the Vizio isn't bad for $200.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis