ARC Channel Sound in TV Menus but not from TV Channels of PS4

V

VanadiumSilver

Audiophyte
I have a frustrating situation. I recently purchased a Sony X850D and a PS4 Pro.

In order to get the 4k and HDR to the Pro I have it running through the TV and then hooked the TV Arc HDMI input to my Sony STR-DH740 receiver.

The first one or two times I use the system, the sound is fine. Then the third time I will get no sound from the PS4 Pro nor if I try to watch television shows. The odd thing is that if I access the menu I can here the menu tones, beeps and boops.

I've tried changing settings and nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what is causing this and how I can remedy it?

vsound5150

vsound5150

Audioholic
Connect the PS4 through the receiver you'll be golden.

Wisco_HiFi

Wisco_HiFi

Audiophyte
Or you could hook up a optical cable to the tv and run that into the receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Obviously you can't hook the PS4 up through the receiver and get the full benefit of HDMI 2.0 which your TV supports. But, the suggestion to use an optical cable out of the TV back to your A/V receiver makes a lot of sense. My understanding of the (VERY) poorly implemented ARC is that it doesn't support HD audio, and provides the same level of audio quality as you will get from the optical audio output from the TV.

Benefit of optical from the TV is that if you use smart apps with your TV, you should get audio from them reliably as well, or anything else connected directly to the TV.

I would probably just use the optical output of the PS4 Pro and run it right to my A/V receiver and call it done. Video to the TV, and audio to the receiver separately.

V

VanadiumSilver

Audiophyte
Sounds good. I tried optical from the tv to the receiver first and that worked albeit I only get front speakers and not full surround.

I'll try sending optical from the PlayStation tonight to see if that returns surround.

If not I appreciate all the help! I guess I'll have to get a new receiver to handle all the data properly if I want to do hdmi

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis