Apple TV & Samsung 8k TV

B

Bone-Head

Junior Audioholic
I have the latest Apple TV box and I am looking at getting the new Samsung QN800B 8k TV. My concern and lack of understanding of how the 2 pieces will work together. Apple TV supports Dolby Vision, while the Samsung TV supports HDR10+. Could there be any issues with this working? I would imagine and hope that everything would work fine. I have a feeling I would not know the difference between the 2 anyway. I’m sure I’d be happy with either as long as the system itself simply worked without compatibility issues.

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
There will be no issues as long as you don't play Dolby vision content.

B

Bone-Head

Junior Audioholic
What does that mean? Too movies have Dolby vision. So you are saying I could not watch a Marvel movie on the Samsung QN800B. It just won’t play? I am just trying to understand this. There is no way someone makes a tv that you cannot watch movies that are made in Dolby vision. I would think the TV would simply play the movie using HDR10+ that it has. If I was currently in civilization I’d run dow to the local Best Buy and ask directly or call Samsung. Unfortunately I happen to be in the wrong location for this. Thanks anyway

W

Wardog555

Full Audioholic
i think the apps would default to HDR. if the tv doesn't support it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
The Apple TV 4K will play all Dolby Vision content in HDR10. It will also change the label of all Dolby Vision content to HDR10. The TV apps will also play Dolby Vision content in HDR10. There is some content available from Amazon Prime Video and Hulu in HDR10+ and the TV will make use of it.

Remember that HDR10 is the default HDR format in every HDR capable device and will be output when devices do not support Dolby Vision or HDR10+. So, all Dolby Vision content from the Apple TV 4K will make use of HDR10 when connected to a Samsung TV.

Samsung Smart TV apps will make use of HDR10+ when available to them from their built-in apps or from supported services in devices such as the Roku Ultra or Google Chromecast with Google TV. Any receivers between such devices and the TV need to support HDR10+ as well.

Passing Dolby Vision and HDR10+ is not just a hardware issue. If streaming services do not support them, then it matters not if the equipment supports them. Some free trial and lower tier subscriptions to some services do not support HDR of any flavor. And, even if they do support it, they may not support it on certain TVs and devices. It’s a jungle out there.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis