Apple TV 4K Media Player to Stream Dolby Atmos & Dolby Vision HDR

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
When the Apple TV 4K streaming media player receives a software update this fall, it will become the first device of its kind to be certified to deliver both Dolby Vision HDR video and Dolby Atmos immersive sound. Apple promises that the iTunes Store will become “the largest collection of Dolby Atmos supported movies” available on any streaming platform. Will Apple’s increasingly popular streamer overtake its rivals from Roku and Amazon?

Apple-Atmos.jpg

Read: Apple TV 4K Media Streamer to Support Dolby Vision and Atmos

G

Gonzaga_1

Audiophyte
This announcement is very exciting but I will not be buying one as I am a unique user that has a Dolby Atmos capable receiver however cannot process the latest and greatest HDMI codec so I need dual HDMI outputs like Oppo (one for video and one for audio). Maybe someday I can spend $2000 plus to upgrade to a new receiver which will enable me to buy a $180 apple streaming device but for now it’s Atmos with movies via my Oppo.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Wonder when this fall the update will be. Definitely curious to try the 4K Apple TV when it is ready for atmos.

Last edited:
Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
I love my Apple Tv 4k. I use it everyday for Youtube, Netflix, Starz, and Apple Movies.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
This is great for those who don't mind being stuck Apple's (*cough*jail*cough*) ecosystem. Vudu has been streaming Dolby Atmos pretty much since its inception, and pretty much any device that works with Vudu UHD will receive the Atmos stream, my 4k BDP, the sh*tty smart cast app on my TV, the Roku ultra etc etc.

Does the Apple TV offer HDR to Sdr conversion? With my Samsung m8500 I can still receive HDR streams and get slightly better color and brightness on my non HDR TV than would be offered via SDR streams.

Still, it's nice to know that another streaming provider is jumping on the Atmos bandwagon. Back when I had first started getting into Atmos with my first Atmos capable AVR, I was very hopeful that Atmos would become the standard audio format to replace channel based mixes, and with over 300 Blu-ray releases andost new releases utilizing atmos, Amazon jumping on Atmos, it looks like that's what's happening.

I do wonder how iTunes quality compares to vudu. In the past with HD content, they've always matched or slightly exceeded Vudu's HDX.

The other question is whether or not iTunes will offer mixes with a 5.1 or 7.1 DD+ bed. The way Atmos works with DD+ is different than with Truehd, with Truehd, the objects are contained within sub streams, and Metadata is used both for positional purposes as well as active phase cancelation of the 7.1 objects mix down. With DD+ you get a 5.1 or 7.1 object mix down and Metadata is used to extract the objects from the channel based mix down. I have, on occasion, noticed some minor artifacts from this process (detailed in my blog). Theoretically, a 7.1 mix could offer a better result.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
This is great for those who don't mind being stuck Apple's (*cough*jail*cough*) ecosystem. Vudu has been streaming Dolby Atmos pretty much since its inception, and pretty much any device that works with Vudu UHD will receive the Atmos stream, my 4k BDP, the sh*tty smart cast app on my TV, the Roku ultra etc etc.

Does the Apple TV offer HDR to Sdr conversion? With my Samsung m8500 I can still receive HDR streams and get slightly better color and brightness on my non HDR TV than would be offered via SDR streams.

Still, it's nice to know that another streaming provider is jumping on the Atmos bandwagon. Back when I had first started getting into Atmos with my first Atmos capable AVR, I was very hopeful that Atmos would become the standard audio format to replace channel based mixes, and with over 300 Blu-ray releases andost new releases utilizing atmos, Amazon jumping on Atmos, it looks like that's what's happening.

I do wonder how iTunes quality compares to vudu. In the past with HD content, they've always matched or slightly exceeded Vudu's HDX.

The other question is whether or not iTunes will offer mixes with a 5.1 or 7.1 DD+ bed. The way Atmos works with DD+ is different than with Truehd, with Truehd, the objects are contained within sub streams, and Metadata is used both for positional purposes as well as active phase cancelation of the 7.1 objects mix down. With DD+ you get a 5.1 or 7.1 object mix down and Metadata is used to extract the objects from the channel based mix down. I have, on occasion, noticed some minor artifacts from this process (detailed in my blog). Theoretically, a 7.1 mix could offer a better result.

I was hoping for more than DD+ Atmos. Sounds like TruHD Atmos will not be on any streaming platform for many years. Many of us already have over 100Mbps Internet and look forward to the real deal.

John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast
Got my first at-home experience with AppleTV 4K & Atmos!

I downloaded the public beta 5 of TVOS 12 for the AppleTV 4K and was surprised that quite a few movies I own are already in Atmos on iTunes.

You need to search from the AppleTV after installing the beta OS to see if a movie is Atmos, using your phone or computer won’t display it.

All I can say is wow! I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect going from Neural:X to Atmos, but it’s an immersive difference with a lot of clarity.

Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them is amazing!

Off the top of my head, these are some that are already available in Atmos:
13 Hours
American Sniper
John Wick (1 & 2)
Fantastic Beasts
Sicario
Justice League
The Man from Uncle
M.I. Rogue Nation
Deadpool (1 & 2)
Hunger Games (all)
At least 5+ others I can’t remember right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
I was hoping for more than DD+ Atmos. Sounds like TruHD Atmos will not be on any streaming platform for many years. Many of us already have over 100Mbps Internet and look forward to the real deal.
Considering Atmos encoded TrueHD averages 6mbps with 18mbps peaks, it's highly unlikely to ever be included with streaming media. What'd be better is if Apple used higher bitrate DD+, Idk what bitrate Apple uses but Vudu uses 384kbps, Amazon and Netflix uses 224kbps. I can almost 75% of the time say vudus encodes are transparent, amazon and Netflix, I can hear obvious compression artifacts during multiple scenes with stuff like running water or applause.

I downloaded the public beta 5 of TVOS 12 for the AppleTV 4K and was surprised that quite a few movies I own are already in Atmos on iTunes.

You need to search from the AppleTV after installing the beta OS to see if a movie is Atmos, using your phone or computer won’t display it.

All I can say is wow! I wasn’t sure exactly what to expect going from Neural:X to Atmos, but it’s an immersive difference with a lot of clarity.

13 Hours
American Sniper
John Wick (1 & 2)
Fantastic Beasts
Sicario
Justice League
The Man from Uncle
M.I. Rogue Nation
Deadpool (1 & 2)
Hunger Games (all)

So pretty much everything that was originally Atmos encoded. These regular 1080p streams or 4k?

John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast
Considering Atmos encoded TrueHD averages 6mbps with 18mbps peaks, it's highly unlikely to ever be included with streaming media. What'd be better is if Apple used higher bitrate DD+, Idk what bitrate Apple uses but Vudu uses 384kbps, Amazon and Netflix uses 224kbps. I can almost 75% of the time say vudus encodes are transparent, amazon and Netflix, I can hear obvious compression artifacts during multiple scenes with stuff like running water or applause. So pretty much everything that was originally Atmos encoded. These regular 1080p streams or 4k?

I’m pretty sure all were 4K

Dmantis10

Dmantis10

Audioholic
Most of us now have the ability to have up to 1000megs download on our current avalible network services like Comcast and Fios.
I can't see why a Atmos movie can't be streamed.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja

13 Hours
American Sniper
John Wick (1 & 2)
Fantastic Beasts
Sicario
Justice League
The Man from Uncle
M.I. Rogue Nation
Deadpool (1 & 2)
Hunger Games (all)

Is this through DirectTV Now with Apple 4K?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
No, through movies I’ve bought on iTunes. I don’t know if DirecTV Now does anything in Atmos

Okay I just noticed they give you a free Apple 4K for signing up so may try it out that way.

Edit: Ordered it last night.

Last edited:
S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Had the Apple 4K with direct tv now just since yesterday but I’m pretty sure I will cancel cable tv with Comcast and cancel the dvr with TiVo soon. :)

John Robb

John Robb

Enthusiast
Had the Apple 4K with direct tv now just since yesterday but I’m pretty sure I will cancel cable tv with Comcast and cancel the dvr with TiVo soon. :)
Thanks. I’m debating doing the same

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis