Apple - Sony Takeover Predicted as Big Tech Buys Up Hollywood

Wayde Robson

Wayde Robson

Audioholics Anchorman
Since Variety magazine published an article predicting Apple buying Sony Pictures in 2019, there's been a wave buzz online about the possibility. But it wasn't just Variety who connected the Apple-Sony dots. It's been long rumored that Sony wants to get out of the movie business and the recent trend has seen tech companies bankrolling a significant amount of Hollywood activity. Both Netflix and Amazon have effectively become studios, pouring billions into high-grade production. Apple doesn't plan to be caught flat-footed when it finally launches its anticipated video streaming service, it wants to launch complete with its own must-see TV. The company has already budgeted billions for production over the next few years. Apple's ramp-up into Hollywood has also included poaching Sony executives, buying up studio space near Sony Pictures headquarters and securing name-brand Hollywood creative talent both on and behind the camera.

It seems a tech company can't just build a streaming app anymore, they have to go all-in on original content production to be competitive. With the handset market flattening in recent years, Apple can't count on iPhone sales for growth. So, just like everyone else in the streaming biz, it's investing in Hollywood. But don't hold your breath for Apple's to produce the next Game of Thrones anytime soon. Apple seems committed to decidedly milquetoast productions, the iPhone maker's strict policy is to steer clear of anything that can be interpreted as "adult" content. This has already caused production delays as "artistic differences" had at least one show runner, Bryan Fuller, walk away from Apple's reboot of the 80s sci-fi show, Amazing Stories. The March 2019 launch of Apple original TV is expected to be delayed.

Get out your popcorn, folks! The real show might be a slow-motion train-wreck as Apple attempts to Think Different about Hollywood.
sony-apple.jpg

READ: Apple - Sony Takeover Predicted as Big Tech Buys Up Hollywood

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It is hilarious to see an Apple in the Sony logo. :D

Hopefully they can bring us great TV series like those from HBO, Hulu, Starz, Amazon, etc.

I'm not putting Netflix on this list because although they have some great shows, they also have a lot of pure crap. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Clickbait titles strike back. Apple is only interested in Sony Pictures subsidiary, not the entire Sony company.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sony_subsidiaries
Barrons just had an article speculating about Apple buying Nintendo. Arguing that their corporate strategies for branding and cash on hand were much more inline which each other.
Wouldn’t mind if Apple bought Sony I guess, as long as they don’t f up the PlayStation!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Barrons just had an article speculating about Apple buying Nintendo. Arguing that their corporate strategies for branding and cash on hand were much more inline which each other.
Wouldn’t mind if Apple bought Sony I guess, as long as they don’t f up the PlayStation!
Both of these "news" should be taken with large dose of sodium chloride

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Imao!!! PlayStation is awesome. But Sony did F it up by leaving out the 4K player. I’ve resisted an Xbox for a long time but...

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Imao!!! PlayStation is awesome. But Sony did F it up by leaving out the 4K player. I’ve resisted an Xbox for a long time but...
yeah, but an apple playstation will cost 899, have a buggy touchscreen and get bricked everytime they mandate a '.upgrade' to the OS... should I continue?

Yes. Sony dropped the ball on that... but Microsoft dropped a lot more balls on the older models of the xboxone.
I would still prefer to not have my game platform be my media player. Did that with the PS3 when it WAS the best bluray on market. I'll take my PS4, maybe the Pro, and keep enjoying my games, and use my UBP-700 for movies. Thank you.
:p

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
yeah, but an apple playstation will cost 899, have a buggy touchscreen and get bricked everytime they mandate a '.upgrade' to the OS... should I continue?

Yes. Sony dropped the ball on that... but Microsoft dropped a lot more balls on the older models of the xboxone.
I would still prefer to not have my game platform be my media player. Did that with the PS3 when it WAS the best bluray on market. I'll take my PS4, maybe the Pro, and keep enjoying my games, and use my UBP-700 for movies. Thank you.
:p
Lol. True, Microsoft has not made consoles I could enjoy. Ever. But my phones(all the way back to 3GS) have been awesome. So while an 899 PlayStation would be ridiculous, I have less love for Android than MS.
I personally loved that the ps3 combined both. Especially at the time, IMO they were the best of both Oppo notwithstanding.
I’m still rockin a PS3 but my birthday is coming soon(not really) and ya never know. I’d like a ps4 and most likely will go there next and just buy a more affordable 4K player so I can use it for atmos!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Lol. True, Microsoft has not made consoles I could enjoy. Ever. But my phones(all the way back to 3GS) have been awesome. So while an 899 PlayStation would be ridiculous, I have less love for Android than MS.
I personally loved that the ps3 combined both. Especially at the time, IMO they were the best of both Oppo notwithstanding.
I’m still rockin a PS3 but my birthday is coming soon(not really) and ya never know. I’d like a ps4 and most likely will go there next and just buy a more affordable 4K player so I can use it for atmos!
I'm eyeing that PS4 Pro pretty hard... kinda waiting for e3 to see what shakes out in the next gen console wars... MS might've realized they fell aspeel at the wheel pretty hard with the original Xbox One. PS4 owned it outa the gates. It might swing on the next round, but I never liked the XBox controller. Bring me a PS5 with a new Fallout and GTA: it'll be like a pacifier in my mouth for a year or two! ;)
Diggin my Sony BluRay, too. Haven't bought a disc yet, but very soon!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I'm eyeing that PS4 Pro pretty hard... kinda waiting for e3 to see what shakes out in the next gen console wars... MS might've realized they fell aspeel at the wheel pretty hard with the original Xbox One. PS4 owned it outa the gates. It might swing on the next round, but I never liked the XBox controller. Bring me a PS5 with a new Fallout and GTA: it'll be like a pacifier in my mouth for a year or two! ;)
Diggin my Sony BluRay, too. Haven't bought a disc yet, but very soon!
Never like their controller either.

I don’t know fo sho what I’m doing. My receiver should be here Thursday and for everything else...IDGAF!!!!!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis