Apple Music Surprise

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I have a 2007 Cadillac SRX, which has a CD Player thus I still dnjoy burning to CD songs I have purchased from the iTunes Store. But now, purchased Apple Music can no longer be burnt to CD. This makes me realize I no longer have a reason to purchase Apple Music over buying a commercial CD instead. At any rate, I wonder about this Apple move, seems to disincentivize purchase of music.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
I have a 2007 Cadillac SRX, which has a CD Player thus I still dnjoy burning to CD songs I have purchased from the iTunes Store. But now, purchased Apple Music can no longer be burnt to CD. This makes me realize I no longer have a reason to purchase Apple Music over buying a commercial CD instead. At any rate, I wonder about this Apple move, seems to disincentivize purchase of music.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you sure about that? I see that iTunes requires you to create a playlist first and then burn it to cd.

Since 2018 I've been using Android Auto/CarPlay in cars, which is much more convenient than burning CDs.
Maybe you could update your A/V system in your caddy for a newer one?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Apple Music is just awful. It sounds dreadful. I signed up for the trial and cancelled within a few days, and now they are charging me for it. AVOID Apple Music. STAY AWAY from that!

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Are you sure about that? I see that iTunes requires you to create a playlist first and then burn it to cd.

Since 2018 I've been using Android Auto/CarPlay in cars, which is much more convenient than burning CDs.
Being probably one of the very few on AH who still uses Apple products and iTunes in particular, I have to say that the CD burning feature hasn't left the building. Its still there. As you mention, you create a playlist and burn the playlist to CD. Over the years, the exact steps to burn CDs may have changed by a menu option or two, but its still there and still works. By moving the iTunes app from what it used to be to the new Apple Music app, the functionality is still there. I thought this might be the move Apple made that encouraged me to ditch them. I'm still hanging on.

@TLS Guy has a strong dislike of all things Apple and I get that. But, that's why there are multiple solutions from multiple companies out there. Something for everyone.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Being probably one of the very few on AH who still uses Apple products and iTunes in particular, I have to say that the CD burning feature hasn't left the building. Its still there. As you mention, you create a playlist and burn the playlist to CD. Over the years, the exact steps to burn CDs may have changed by a menu option or two, but its still there and still works. By moving the iTunes app from what it used to be to the new Apple Music app, the functionality is still there. I thought this might be the move Apple made that encouraged me to ditch them. I'm still hanging on.

@TLS Guy has a strong dislike of all things Apple and I get that. But, that's why there are multiple solutions from multiple companies out there. Something for everyone.
No, I don't have a strong dislike of all things Apple, and have used an iPhone for years, currently an i12. My objection to itunes, was as mentioned it does not sound good, and they continue to charge me after I cancelled. I had a chance in my evaluation to compare it to the hard disc. Somehow they have really mucked it up. The only streaming disc service I have evaluated that is any good is Qobuz, which is excellent and just as good as the discs. I am not a subscriber, as I have a large collection of CDs and LPs.

I do subscribe to an increasing number of orchestras with streaming options. That list is growing rapidly. The BPO stream in loss less FLAC, but all are of good quality.
I subscribe to our two local orchestras, the Minnesota Orchestra and SPCO. I also subscribe to the local Schubert club. The DSO also have an excellent on line subscription service and their AV quality is superb. All the above archive their concerts. I do buy tickets to the Philadelphia Digital Stage, but they only archive concerts for about a week. I also subscribe to the Metropolitan Opera. They now have a large opera archive. Medici TV is another subscription.

As far as I know only the BPO, Medici TV and Met Player have apps. I have used the BPO app on my LG TV, but I don't find it as easy to navigate as my HTPC.
As far as I'm concerned if you do a lot of concert and opera streaming nothing bests a good HTPC. Having a full sized radio keyboard is far better then trying to navigate complex menus with a TV remote. The Smart TV app lark is just a money maker for the TV makers and some others. I personally think it should be possible and standard to be able to open a web browser on any TV. As far as I'm concerned hand held remotes are only any good for on/off switching, changing inputs and channel and adjusting volume. Pretty much anything else is a PITA. Operating an HTPC by bring up a web page is far quicker and handier then remotes.

Lastly all my HDMI inputs are taken up, so I don't have space for Apple TV, Firesticks and devices like that.

S

sterling shoote

Yes I am sure about it. CDs must be burnt from a playlist and ALL music on the list must either be owned or purchased music. What has changed now is Apple Music purchases can no longer be burnt to CD from playlist. Thus, to now make CDs from playlist I need to buy the music first on commercial CD and place it in my iTunes Library. Such was the case recently when I tried to burn a CD containing some songs from The Polar Express which I had purchased and downloaded from iTunes Store. Those songs would not burn to CD while other songs in my iTunes Library would. The message I received from iTunes before burning commenced was Apple Music purchases could not be burnt to CD from playlist. Now, my car’s audio system does have a mini jack input so I can indeed play playlists residing in iTunes on my iPhone via DAC. It sounds pretty good yet CD play is even better, while not quite as convenient.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

No, I don't have a strong dislike of all things Apple, and have used an iPhone for years, currently an i12. My objection to itunes, was as mentioned it does not sound good, and they continue to charge me after I cancelled. I had a chance in my evaluation to compare it to the hard disc. Somehow they have really mucked it up. The only streaming disc service I have evaluated that is any good is Qobuz, which is excellent and just as good as the discs. I am not a subscriber, as I have a large collection of CDs and LPs.

I do subscribe to an increasing number of orchestras with streaming options. That list is growing rapidly. The BPO stream in loss less FLAC, but all are of good quality.
I subscribe to our two local orchestras, the Minnesota Orchestra and SPCO. I also subscribe to the local Schubert club. The DSO also have an excellent on line subscription service and their AV quality is superb. All the above archive their concerts. I do buy tickets to the Philadelphia Digital Stage, but they only archive concerts for about a week. I also subscribe to the Metropolitan Opera. They now have a large opera archive. Medici TV is another subscription.

As far as I know only the BPO, Medici TV and Met Player have apps. I have used the BPO app on my LG TV, but I don't find it as easy to navigate as my HTPC.
As far as I'm concerned if you do a lot of concert and opera streaming nothing bests a good HTPC. Having a full sized radio keyboard is far better then trying to navigate complex menus with a TV remote. The Smart TV app lark is just a money maker for the TV makers and some others. I personally think it should be possible and standard to be able to open a web browser on any TV. As far as I'm concerned hand held remotes are only any good for on/off switching, changing inputs and channel and adjusting volume. Pretty much anything else is a PITA. Operating an HTPC by bring up a web page is far quicker and handier then remotes.

Lastly all my HDMI inputs are taken up, so I don't have space for Apple TV, Firesticks and devices like that.
My Apple Music experience rivals all other means I have to recorded music and Apple Music’s delivery of Dolby ATMOS is very promising. Mostly, I still prefer the sound signature of my pre-digital mixed and mastered vinyl to any digital with one exception, live music I have recorded to DAT and playback from DAT.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

The burn to CD feature still exists but it will no longer burn music identified as an Apple Music purchase.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Physical media is going away and the “download it and play it offline with an active subscription” days are here. That’s fine if you can connect a Smart device full of music to your car. Not so fine if your car has a CD player with no ability to connect external devices.

Even when burning iTunes music to CD, it is lossy AAC and lossless is reserved for Apple Music streams and downloads in Apple devices. Unless things have changed very recently, Apple lossless is not supported in Windows and AAC is tops there all the way around.

There should be a 3.5mm aux port on the SRX radio. This can be used to connect to a Smart device’s 3.5mm headphone jack or to a newer iPhone’s lighting to 3.5mm adapter and cable. ALAC is available over 3.5mm and lightning to 3.5mm.

Once signed into one’s Apple ID, music can be set to be downloaded to ALL of one’s Apple devices when downloading selections from Apple Music so it doesn’t have to be downloaded multiple times.

Apple has made a mess of Apple Music, though the lossless tracks sound as good as anything else out there. Dolby Atmos over HDMI is limited to the Apple TV 4K and the need for an external DAC for hi-res is a joke.

For those with lots of iTunes music and a vehicle with an AUX port, plugging in an external iOS device is more convenient than ripping CDs. For those with other streaming services that support offline playback of downloaded music, downloading music to their iOS device will work as well.

Currently, I’m using Amazon Music for streaming and downloading music as it is included in my Prime membership and I haven’t repurchased Apple Music yet. Using my iPhone, I can download lossless and hi-res music from Amazon Music. Amazon designates CD quality(16/44.1) as HD and anything higher up to 24/192 as Ultra HD. Apple devices will output Amazon Music Ultra HD tracks via lightning to 3.5mm at a max of 24/48.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
The burn to CD feature still exists but it will no longer burn music identified as an Apple Music purchase.
Sterling
I knew there was at least one more iTunes/Apple user on the AH who had the gumption to say it out loud.

Years ago, I ran in to the problem of DRM and Apple purchased music and not being able to move the purchase around as I wished. It made me really angry. In fact, I was so pissed I began planning for the day when Apple would finally piss me off for the last time, or they would get pissed off at me and toss me over the transom. My action plan was simple
1. No more purchasing music from Apple
2. No more purchasing of music with DRM from anyone
3. My entire library would be re-created from CD in both AIFF and FLAC
4. When Apple does piss me off for the last time, all I have to do is use something else other than iTunes.
The library is already there in FLAC format. Right now PLEX is in place and works.

I think this plan has served me well. I do not fear the inevitable divorce from Apple. I have future proofed my library and so far Apple and I are still on good terms. Apple products work seamlessly and across my phone, tablet and computers. I can record music with them and edit and share it. It is a wonderful ecosystem But the big brother aspect of it all is worrisome.

I think it's a forum rule (policy) not to put forward or document "workaround" for copy protection schemes. Therefore I won't do that. There is at least one however. I don't use it anymore because I stopped buying managed music titles. I enjoy hearing from other Apple users. We are a minority. That's ok. I'm happy.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I have a love/hate relationship with Apple. I hate that I keep buying their gear and love to complain about them.:D I still can't bring myself to finish ripping all of my CDs when I can stream music so easily from various services. I do love how, when using the iTune Remote app in my iPhone with an active subscription to Apple Music, albums I've ripped from my CDs and also those I've downloaded from Apple Music are grouped together seamlessly in my Mac and my phone acts like a jukebox music selector and I can Airplay the music from my Mac to any one or all of my Airplay 2 receivers at the same time with no Zone limitations with just a few taps on my iPhone. This is no small thing as other setups do not allow for casting to multiple zones. Volume levels of all of the receivers can be controlled by the iPhone as well.

For those with active Apple Music subscriptions and an iOS device, it is all too easy to simply download lossless or hi-res versions of albums and then output them via 3.5mm cable from an older iOS device or via lightning to 3.5mm adapter and cable on a newer iOS device to connect to a radio with a 3.5mm AUX port. Connecting a lightning to USB A adapter to a newer iOS device and also to a USB DAC connected to the 3.5mm cable will allow for hi-res output for those who want it. I may treat myself to a USB DAC for Christmas. Damn you Apple! :D

For those with Best Buy Rewards accounts and Apple IDs and iOS devices who want to check all of this out discreetly, you can currently get up to four months of Apple Music for FREE when purchased through Best Buy. You can then Airplay lossless audio to an Airplay 2 receiver or physically connect to a device using the mentioned adapters, cables and DACs.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I have a love/hate relationship with Apple. I hate that I keep buying their gear and love to complain about them.:D I still can't bring myself to finish ripping all of my CDs when I can stream music so easily from various services. I do love how, when using the iTune Remote app in my iPhone with an active subscription to Apple Music, albums I've ripped from my CDs and also those I've downloaded from Apple Music are grouped together seamlessly in my Mac and my phone acts like a jukebox music selector and I can Airplay the music from my Mac to any one or all of my Airplay 2 receivers at the same time with no Zone limitations with just a few taps on my iPhone. This is no small thing as other setups do not allow for casting to multiple zones. Volume levels of all of the receivers can be controlled by the iPhone as well.

For those with active Apple Music subscriptions and an iOS device, it is all too easy to simply download lossless or hi-res versions of albums and then output them via 3.5mm cable from an older iOS device or via lightning to 3.5mm adapter and cable on a newer iOS device to connect to a radio with a 3.5mm AUX port. Connecting a lightning to USB A adapter to a newer iOS device and also to a USB DAC connected to the 3.5mm cable will allow for hi-res output for those who want it. I may treat myself to a USB DAC for Christmas. Damn you Apple! :D

For those with Best Buy Rewards accounts and Apple IDs and iOS devices who want to check all of this out discreetly, you can currently get up to four months of Apple Music for FREE when purchased through Best Buy. You can then Airplay lossless audio to an Airplay 2 receiver or physically connect to a device using the mentioned adapters, cables and DACs.
Love/Hate relationship with Apple. That's me as well.
I do love what they have accomplished. You point out many of their strong points.
When things are going well, I just have no issue at all with them.
But there are those moments...........

S

sterling shoote

Sterling
I knew there was at least one more iTunes/Apple user on the AH who had the gumption to say it out loud.

Years ago, I ran in to the problem of DRM and Apple purchased music and not being able to move the purchase around as I wished. It made me really angry. In fact, I was so pissed I began planning for the day when Apple would finally piss me off for the last time, or they would get pissed off at me and toss me over the transom. My action plan was simple
1. No more purchasing music from Apple
2. No more purchasing of music with DRM from anyone
3. My entire library would be re-created from CD in both AIFF and FLAC
4. When Apple does piss me off for the last time, all I have to do is use something else other than iTunes.
The library is already there in FLAC format. Right now PLEX is in place and works.

I think this plan has served me well. I do not fear the inevitable divorce from Apple. I have future proofed my library and so far Apple and I are still on good terms. Apple products work seamlessly and across my phone, tablet and computers. I can record music with them and edit and share it. It is a wonderful ecosystem But the big brother aspect of it all is worrisome.

I think it's a forum rule (policy) not to put forward or document "workaround" for copy protection schemes. Therefore I won't do that. There is at least one however. I don't use it anymore because I stopped buying managed music titles. I enjoy hearing from other Apple users. We are a minority. That's ok. I'm happy.
There was a workaround that Airplayed to DAT via an optical to 958 converter and then copied to another DAT Recorder via AES/EBU connection. Of course I am only speaking hypothetically.
9FB62F8A-634C-4B65-9A45-CE983ED1BE1E.jpeg

highfigh

highfigh

Apple Music is just awful. It sounds dreadful. I signed up for the trial and cancelled within a few days, and now they are charging me for it. AVOID Apple Music. STAY AWAY from that!
Call AppleCare and have them refund your money- they will do that.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I have on occasion forgotten to cancel one subscription or another using Apple. I usually check my accounts daily and notice new charges. When I notice an unwanted Apple charge, I go into my Apple account and inform Apple that I did not mean to make that particular purchase. They have always issued a refund. The trick is to catch these things early and not use the unwanted subscription for any length of time so that they will not issue a refund. One can check their active subscriptions and their renewal dates by looking at them in their Apple Account. Cancelling them before their renewal date will change the status from "Renews On" to "Expires On."

Apple Music is currently in a silly state. Those wanting bit for bit lossless and hi-res playback from it will need to connect an external DAC to their iOS device. Those wanting bit for bit lossless and hi-res from a Mac will need an external DAC and a third party app to adjust bits for output as the Mac's Audio MIDI Setup will allow one selection for output. I wouldn't go near Apple Music using Windows. Streaming lossless and hi-res from Qobuz or Amazon Music Unlimited is a far less complicated affair on other setups but will have their own similar limitations when using them on Apple devices.

For anyone who does not care about hi-res or bit for bit output, any service with lossless content played over Airplay from an Apple device to an Airplay capable output device should have no issue with sound quality. Those wanting hi-res over their network will need to look at other services.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
I have on occasion forgotten to cancel one subscription or another using Apple. I usually check my accounts daily and notice new charges. When I notice an unwanted Apple charge, I go into my Apple account and inform Apple that I did not mean to make that particular purchase. They have always issued a refund. The trick is to catch these things early and not use the unwanted subscription for any length of time so that they will not issue a refund. One can check their active subscriptions and their renewal dates by looking at them in their Apple Account. Cancelling them before their renewal date will change the status from "Renews On" to "Expires On."

Apple Music is currently in a silly state. Those wanting bit for bit lossless and hi-res playback from it will need to connect an external DAC to their iOS device. Those wanting bit for bit lossless and hi-res from a Mac will need an external DAC and a third party app to adjust bits for output as the Mac's Audio MIDI Setup will allow one selection for output. I wouldn't go near Apple Music using Windows. Streaming lossless and hi-res from Qobuz or Amazon Music Unlimited is a far less complicated affair on other setups but will have their own similar limitations when using them on Apple devices.

For anyone who does not care about hi-res or bit for bit output, any service with lossless content played over Airplay from an Apple device to an Airplay capable output device should have no issue with sound quality. Those wanting hi-res over their network will need to look at other services.
I agree on Apple giving refunds without any pushback.
In fact, it was Apple itself that sent me a notice a week or so ago about "forgotten subscriptions" that I am paying for that I may not want anymore or may have forgotten about. I had indeed forgotten about two of them altogether and that notice from Apple gave me plenty of time to cancel them. Easily. So the evil big brother is not always acting in that role. Sometimes they can be a helpful partner as well.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
There was a workaround that Airplayed to DAT via an optical to 958 converter and then copied to another DAT Recorder via AES/EBU connection. Of course I am only speaking hypothetically.
View attachment 58977
I have a whole suite of tools to work with hypothetical situations. Handbrake is one of my personal favorite tools for creative thinking.. MakeMKV is another wonderful basket of wrenches for those extra tight nuts that just won't loosen up sometimes. Hardware is another side to the wonderful world outside the lines. I am glad I can color between the lines most of the time. So much easier.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis