Apple Music Announcement

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
Anyone else noticed that some songs are encoded Lossless and some are encoded Hi Res Lossless.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
Yeah, I’m doing 5.1 Multichannel PCM from Mac, sounds good. Apple TV 4K sending atmos/PCM out.
I'm assuming that when I get an Apple TV I will be controlling content delivery via my iPhone, since iTunes on my laptop running Windows 10 does not see Lossless or Dolby ATMOS.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, see that as well. To listen to hi-res lossless or lossless two channel, turn off dolby atmos in Music app settings or it will play back in dolby atmos.

G

GotAudio

Audioholic
Both are Dolby Atmos which means they are multi channel, I assumed the Hi-Res Lossless was just a higher quality audio.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
So I got the Tidal HiFi subscription and was initially disappointed in the fact that pink Floyd is hi Fi, not studio or Atmos. However, they do have Steven Wilson's The Future Bites in Atmos and it's pretty great. I've been looking for this in Atmos so I'm pretty happy so far. Maybe Spotify gets replaced?

Ooooh they have Beethoven symphony #7 I'm sold.

Last edited:
T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I'm assuming that when I get an Apple TV I will be controlling content delivery via my iPhone, since iTunes on my laptop running Windows 10 does not see Lossless or Dolby ATMOS.
You will be able to stream from any number of services from the Apple TV 4K itself using its remote control with no need for a PC or Mac. You will need to sign into your Apple ID. For your PC downloaded content, you can use Home Sharing via the Apple TV’s Computer app to access it.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
It's always something.:confused: But, what else is new with Apple?
True dat, dawg.

I have to upgrade my computer to get it. My old iMac (late 2013, 27") didn't get the Big Sur update, capped at Catalina 14.15.x... :rolleyes: I saw the Lossless icon for an album I was listening to on my phone... got home and went to the computer to play it over my rig... No love, no joy.
Now I have to decide how I upgrade my computer... I really do enjoy having a desk based system, but switching to a laptop might not be a big deal if I do so with an external display, keyboard and trackpad. Afterall, grabbing a laptop is a lot easier than grabbing an iMac and running out the door if there is a bad fire bearing down on us (joys of the NorCal lifestyle :confused:).

That said... it was years into my ownership when I learned the 3.5mm phone jack is actually a mini toslink! So, for everytime there is an "ah, hell," there's also often a "that's cool" to go with it. ;)

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I'm calling it and am going to stop chasing the lossless/hi-res dragon for good. I'm already too into Apple's eco system and used iTunes on a Windows 7 laptop for years. Now, I'm working with an iMac and Mac Mini M1 along with iPhones. I've tried different services, different receivers and different audio codecs. And, do you know what sounded the best to me? Al Stewart's Greatest Hits CD ripped to iTunes in AIFF on my old laptop.:D "Time Passages...Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight..."

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yeah, I'm calling it and am going to stop chasing the lossless/hi-res dragon for good.
I'd agree, but the key difference is that I'm two generations behind in usability. The HDMI protocols, after dongling from thunder to HDMI, are too limited on my machine... and then there is the update to Apple Silicon.
Much like waiting for HDMI 2.1 to finish baking, I need to get my computer updated for actual usable functionality that I can take advantage of. Right now, this 8yr old iMac is the weak link. :)
I'd like to think that once I upgrade this, and step into a new processor for 2.1, I will be good for 5-8 more years. I know other stuff will continue to change, but these base characteristics will be pretty stable through that timeframe, I think.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Just received an email from Audirvana. Some are pissed off that they changed things up and went from a one time license fee to a subscription model and don’t have an app yet for the new Audirvana Studio. Oh, the email was informing me of a new app coming soon for Audirvana Studio.:D Good thing I’m done chasing the dragon. They did offer a 30 day freebee, though.;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I received my gen2 remote for the AppleTV 4K. I’m using it with my gen1 AppleTV 4K. This is such a great remote compared to the prior one! It functions very much like the FireTV remotes but it has a nice touch pad in the center of the direction arrow circle.

I have my apps all loaded on both AppleTV 4K and Fire Cube 4K. Will have to see how the GF takes to this new Apple remote. Either way very happy to finally have a functional remote. :)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Been pretty happy with the gen2 remote so I ordered two more. I have the theater room, living room and bedroom ATV 4K gen1.

Also I just figured out I need to setup an ATT TV account to see my local NHL games. So Sling TV will have to go. I guess that’s how the NHL team makes money. :)

Hope they worked out the volume issues for commercials. I had it back in 2018 before ATT got involved and it was crazy loud during commercials.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis