Apple iPhone Review

A

admin

Audioholics Robot
Staff member
If you are one of the legions of Apple-haters out there, stop reading now. This is my final warning, because the iPhone is a great product. Not perfect, but a great piece of gear that is nothing short of revolutionary. Read on for my first day of use review.

Discuss "Apple iPhone Review" here. Read the article.

J

jake5717

Audioholic
Sounds like a really cool phone. I’m like you buddy JD I tend to throw my phone often when in the street (Yesterday I kicked my Q into the gutter) so I wonder how well the glossy finish would stand up not only with drops but in regular pocket/purse use.

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
Check this out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=czCCavcnNd8

All four of the early reviewers (Newsweek, WSJ, NYT & USA Today) who had the phone for 2 weeks prior to launch seemed to mention that they did not suffer any scratches with normal use in pockets and briefcases. I guess time will tell.

I was nervous, so I bought a leather slipcase that is form fitted and has a stick-on screen protector.

jwc

Last edited:
Matt34

Matt34

I want an iphone but am waiting for two things, different cell phone providers to pick it up and either the price to come down or the memory capacity to go up. If it is to replace both my cell and ipod I need more than the 8 gigs currently available.

I did hear Apple sold around 525,000 iphones this weekend.:eek:

avaserfi

avaserfi

Audioholic Ninja
I want an iphone but am waiting for two things, different cell phone providers to pick it up and either the price to come down or the memory capacity to go up. If it is to replace both my cell and ipod I need more than the 8 gigs currently available.

I did hear Apple sold around 525,000 iphones this weekend.:eek:
Then check out the seen on this thing. I bet it will be usable on other services in less than three months with the way hackers are tearing it apart.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,133652-c,iphone/article.html

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
too bad I just bought a new cellphone/smartphone.

I got a blue Treo 750, too match the red Treo 680 I got the wife.

A

audiofox

Full Audioholic
I'd get one in a heartbeat if it had 3G support, but I can't see spending $500 on a phone that only has EDGE-my Treo 650 already crawls along on EDGE, which is a decidedly unsatisfactory way to surf the net or get email. I also wish Apple could offer a non-camera version-working government contracts precludes one from using ANY camera phone in their areas. Maybe someone will figure out how to disable the camera-I managed to do that on my 650, which was no biggie since I never used the camera feature anyway.

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
I have posted some photos in the article now - sorry for the delay.

T

twoksl2

Audioholic Intern
i have herd that it has slightly low signal reception.... anyone have any experience with this that has switched from a RAZR??? i really want one (BAD) but if the signal stinks then i don't think that i'm going to bother yet....

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
While not a bad review, doing it after one day of use seems a little premature?

I got a Razr when they first came out, thought it was very cool. After about a month, I couldn't stand it. While it looked sleek, I couldn't dial without looking at the keypad, since all the buttons were recessed. Worse, the arrow keys and action button were also recessed, with the center button being WAY too small. Little things like this made me want to throw it off the bridge, but my wife convinced me to give it to her. I ended up with a Sony Ericsson w810i and couldn't be happier. Before that, i never even considered getting a candybar phone. I'm sure after the initial luster and WOW of the phone wears off, people's reviews will be more tempered. It's an amazingly cool device, but is it a good phone? You can only know after some time with it, IMO.

Personally, i think it would drive me crazy not being able to dial with one hand :)

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
Since there has been so much anticipation (read: hype) for this product, we decided go ahead and get an early first impression review posted. I tried to make it clear that I only had 24 hours of use - and I am sure that more pros and cons will be discovered as I use it.

I may do a follow up piece in a few months. Thanks for the input.

thejumbo

thejumbo

Audiophyte
Couple of things:

1. Don't de-activate your account, or the iTunes on the phone stops working, too.
2. Can't manually manage your music sync settings.
3. SIM card will not work in other phones, and other phones' SIM cards will not work in it. Huh?

Pretty piece of gear, neat navigation, but WAY too flawed to justify jumping on this bandwagon right now. A better phone and 30GB iPod Video will do more, and if one of those breaks, at least the other still works.

I know, my opinion is very simplistic, but as revolutionary as it is, there are still glaring flaws inherent in it to justify that kind of financial outlay.

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
I certainly agree that this is a first generation product with things missing. And it is not for everyone. But it is always funny to me that people are saying "don't jump on the bandwagon" and things like that.

It is what it is. Not perfect, not the end-all, but a cool little device. People don't say not to jump on the Treo or Blackberry bandwagons ("they don't have an iPod" or "they don't have visual voicemail" or "the email is not full-featured," etc.).

It's a matter of taste. The price will keep many people away. The lack of alternate carriers will keep many away. The list goes on. Those that buy one will probably love it. Those that don't will probably be pretty critical of it. Both opinions are justified.

The more I use it, the more things I find that I wish were better or different. But I also find more and more that I love about it.

D

dvolk

Audiophyte
GSM-only strategy makes sense for iPhone

There are a few points to highlight when discussing the "shortcomings" of the iPhone. In reality, they may prove to be shrewd business decisions by Apple, but only time will tell. In no particular order...
1. Apple likely chose the GSM-Edge network due to the worldwide size of that market -- the vast majority of European and Asian markets use the GSM technology, not the EVDO standard in much of North America. This choice expands the number of markets and potential for rapid growth, economies of scale, and establishing a foothold in multiple regions before competitors copy the technology and introduce their own knock-offs.
2. Feature set -- smartphone, email, iPod, video -- these features are targeted at the upper end of the consumer segment and not at business users. This segment is highly mobile, has a greater amount of personal time, likely spends more time than average commuting (via public transit or in groups), and has a relatively high level of disposable income. The target is likely the 16-34 year olds who are already users of the iPod and are OK spending >$500 on the latest technology (iPod, PS3, or the original web phones).
3. Manufacturing limitations -- you can only build so many units in a given time frame, so why not position your product at the high end of the market and get the feedback from people with a history of using high-end products and make adjustments over time.
4. Mid-market consumers and business users are more price sensitive and less tech-savy than most people realize. If Apple tried to be everything to all people, they would satisfy no one and end up tossing their iPhone on the pile of "nice ideas" like the Newton. Different versions on other networks are likely to arrive in the coming years as the bugs are worked out and the adoption rate increases.

Final comments: The wealth of new technologies in this device are likely to raise the bar for all manufacturers. The key for Apple is to position this device as a good phone with a great combination of iPod and email features. If they are successful, they have a chance at competing in a much larger market -- cellphones -- rather than being relegated to a niche device manufacturer (iPod).

birdonthebeach

birdonthebeach

Full Audioholic
Very good points, dvolk. I agree with your observations, and they line up with Apple's recent history of product introductions. Innovate and price accordingly, and they will come.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis