Aperion Verus III Grand Tower

Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern
So I currently have some B&w 603s that I could still return to BB, and I’ve been looking around the forums at tons of graphs and reviews for some other speakers. I’m not fully sold on the sound of these as they are quite bright, tho they do mellow out off axis quite a bit.

Anybody have any experience with the Aperion Verus III Grand Tower speakers and their Verus III center? They are on a July sale right now, and they do have a good in home trial period from what it looks like? I’m going tomorrow to demo some Paradigm/ Klipsch/ and Martin Logan 40i. Couldn’t find any dealers that I can demo the Aperions tho.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
If you haven't read the AH and Stereophile reviews of the 600 and 700 series towers, the measurements tell quite a story. I do think B&W can sound good. I personally don't think so. (But beauty is in the ear of the beholder, I geuss.)

Whereabouts do you live? Do you have any other shops you can get to for demoing?

Though I have not heard the Aperions, I have heard good things about them. *shrugs. (See earlier comment about B&W.)

What is your budget? Goals for your system? Music:HT Ratio?

Another thread recently reveled some flaws in the ML Motion 40, FWIW. I think the 60 is the better buy between the two... but last time I checked, not really worth the cost IMO. If I was going to drop the coin on something, It would be Monitor Audio Silver 300 or 500 plus the larger Center (350?).
I've heard some really good things about PSB, Canton, some of the Paradigm and Revel... Depending on what you are willing to spend, the new JBL HDI lineup looks very promising.

Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern
If you haven't read the AH and Stereophile reviews of the 600 and 700 series towers, the measurements tell quite a story. I do think B&W can sound good. I personally don't think so. (But beauty is in the ear of the beholder, I geuss.)

Whereabouts do you live? Do you have any other shops you can get to for demoing?

Though I have not heard the Aperions, I have heard good things about them. *shrugs. (See earlier comment about B&W.)

What is your budget? Goals for your system? Music:HT Ratio?

Another thread recently reveled some flaws in the ML Motion 40, FWIW. I think the 60 is the better buy between the two... but last time I checked, not really worth the cost IMO. If I was going to drop the coin on something, It would be Monitor Audio Silver 300 or 500 plus the larger Center (350?).
I've heard some really good things about PSB, Canton, some of the Paradigm and Revel... Depending on what you are willing to spend, the new JBL HDI lineup looks very promising.
Yeah, I was more on the lines of just excitement when I originally made the purchase and have been doing non stop research for the last week since. I did look into the breakdown on the 603s post purchase and I see very similar listening results to the testing. Off angle they sound “better” but I don’t have a large catalogue of listening to reference from. I live in Vegas, and there are a few showrooms I will be getting in touch with tomorrow to see about inventory and demos.

Primarily this is for HT use/ gaming and maybe 30-40% music. My overal scope right now is 5.2 as I do have one SB-3000 and will be getting another in a few weeks. I’m looking to spend around $2k for the mains maybe as high as $2500, and the center channel I’m fine fluctuating around $500-1k. I’m in no major rush to get the surrounds as I want to fill out my fronts first.

I did see the issues brought up with the motion 40s having issues with sound stage outside the “sweet spot”. I have also heard good things about Paradigm, and there are a few dealers here that should have them.

tmurnin

tmurnin

Full Audioholic
So I currently have some B&w 603s that I could still return to BB, and I’ve been looking around the forums at tons of graphs and reviews for some other speakers. I’m not fully sold on the sound of these as they are quite bright, tho they do mellow out off axis quite a bit.

Anybody have any experience with the Aperion Verus III Grand Tower speakers and their Verus III center? They are on a July sale right now, and they do have a good in home trial period from what it looks like? I’m going tomorrow to demo some Paradigm/ Klipsch/ and Martin Logan 40i. Couldn’t find any dealers that I can demo the Aperions tho.
Aperion is internet direct, so you won’t find a dealer. However, they have a great trial period with free shipping both ways so you can try them out with your equipment in your room and see how they sound. I have the Verus bookshelves and they sound and look beautiful, I’d recommend giving them a listen

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Aperion is internet direct, so you won’t find a dealer. However, they have a great trial period with free shipping both ways so you can try them out with your equipment in your room and see how they sound.
The speakers the OP mentioned are on Sale. Might have to pay for shipping

FREE SHIPPING on All Regular Priced Items Both Ways

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
This is the major reason I didn't check Aperion out.

Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern
The speakers the OP mentioned are on Sale. Might have to pay for shipping

FREE SHIPPING on All Regular Priced Items Both Ways
Yeah, I did see that as I was checking out their site... Going to check what inventory local showrooms have tomorrow to do some demos. I am interested in those Cantos you linked. Only so far you can go looking at measurements without hearing them...

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I did see that as I was checking out their site... Going to check what inventory local showrooms have tomorrow to do some demos. I am interested in those Cantos you linked. Only so far you can go looking at measurements without hearing them...
I friend of mine has Canton speakers. I've spent some time in his Home Theater and did like them. Not sure which model he has.

Yes it is nice to audition speakers. But will they sound the same once you get them home. Especially from the Big Box stores.

Everyone seems to really like the Tweeter on those Cantons

Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern
I friend of mine has Canton speakers. I've spent some time in his Home Theater and did like them. Not sure which model he has.

Yes it is nice to audition speakers. But will they sound the same once you get them home. Especially from the Big Box stores.

Everyone seems to really like the Tweeter on those Cantons
Did they sound pretty good off axis as well if you recall? Forward in the treble, or pretty neutral?

I completely agree as the listening room is always different vs at home experience. That is a killer deal tho $2k for the 596.2 and free 556.2

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Did they sound pretty good off axis as well if you recall? Forward in the treble, or pretty neutral?

I completely agree as the listening room is always different vs at home experience. That is a killer deal tho $2k for the 596.2 and free 556.2
They sounded Great. Free Shipping too

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I was more on the lines of just excitement when I originally made the purchase
It’s called the honeymoon period, and you will experience this with everything new you buy.

If you have the time and patience and don’t mind the returns, it might be very educational to try out as many speakers as you can as long as they offer a free trial with free shipping both ways.

Then you might agree with me that most good speakers sound more alike than different especially in the treble and midrange. The bass is the more obvious difference. Depending on your listening distance and volume and level of compression of the source, the Dynamics of the speaker might also be different (ability to play loud without distorting).

Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern
If you have the time and patience and don’t mind the returns, it might be very educational to try out as many speakers as you can as long as they offer a free trial with free shipping both ways.
I have for sure picked up quite a bit browsing the threads and watching Gene’s videos. My scientific curiosity also has me messing around with REW getting familiar with the program and just looking at differences within my listening space which is really cool!

This is something I’ve thought about quite a bit, but finally have a dedicated space that I can make it a reality. Im not worried about the time or dealing with returns to find the right speakers for my tastes. For sure listening to plenty of speakers will help me better understand what my tastes are exactly.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have for sure picked up quite a bit browsing the threads and watching Gene’s videos. My scientific curiosity also has me messing around with REW getting familiar with the program and just looking at differences within my listening space which is really cool!

This is something I’ve thought about quite a bit, but finally have a dedicated space that I can make it a reality. Im not worried about the time or dealing with returns to find the right speakers for my tastes. For sure listening to plenty of speakers will help me better understand what my tastes are exactly.
That's awesome.

Another aspect that we talk about is "bias".

If you know how the speaker measures BEFORE you listen or compare, will you be biased into thinking they sound "bright" or "warm"?

If you've read a lot of rave reviews about a speaker, will you be biased?

I think without a true strict high standard double-blind test, we won't be able to remove all bias. For example, I think if a company trains their testing subjects to listen for certain sounds, they are introducing bias whether they wanted to or not. So just keep bias in mind.

There is no substitute for experience, which is true for everything in life. The more speakers you listen to, the more experience you have.

Try to also find any dealers that have high end speakers like Revel Salon2, B&W 800D, KEF Reference, etc. You don 't want to ask yourself the question, "What if?"

A lot of people think that they will be completely "blown away" when they finally get to listen to $30,000 speakers. Bias might have a lot to do with that. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
A lot of people think that they will be completely "blown away" when they finally get to listen to $30,000 speakers.
This is too true.

Granted there are still many speakers I have not heard, but with the exception of one $60K pair, I cannot say they are worth anything more than some of the better $5-10K per pair speakers I have heard.
Mind, that $60K pair was not necessarily worth that much... it just sounded at least as good as the $10K pair! :p Frankly, a pair of BMRs with well integrated Subs would likely sound that good!

Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern
So, after doing a lot of demos of similar priced and beyond budget speakers at showrooms around town I decided to order up the Canton 596.2/ 556.2 in black and take the shipping hit if I wasn’t happy. Got them all setup and did another round of demos. Good news is I’m very happy with the Cantons performance and sound!!! Thank you for all the advise and recommendations.

Planning on getting my surrounds soon once I get the room more permanently situated with the furniture layout. See photo for my temporary setup. Just waiting to pick up a rack for the receiver and get something to lift the TV so I can more permanently place the center.
26A5FCE5-CE34-4DF7-BAB9-5DF827D9D049.jpeg

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
No you get to play with there Placement to get the Best Sound out of them.

Trophykage

Trophykage

Audioholic Intern
No you get to play with there Placement to get the Best Sound out of them.
Exactly! Going to be working on sub placement, playing around with the toe in on them, and do some EQ work. Thanks for the recommendation. Killer deal on these speakers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis