Aperion Audio Verus Grand Loudspeaker System Reviewed

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I suppose the question is: is it the speaker that is changing significantly enough to be heard, or is it the listener who is becoming acclimated to a new sound?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I suppose the question is: is it the speaker that is changing significantly enough to be heard, or is it the listener who is becoming acclimated to a new sound?
I say neither one. The only thing that could change would be the speaker placement and room treatments.

Changing amps and breaking in speakers is BS. :D

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
That is the second time Aperion has given false information IMO that I can recall.

The first time, I recall Aperion told someone that his Yamaha AVR (which I recall was highly rated w/ awesome measurements) wasn't GOOD enough! They recommended a different AVR - as if that would sweeten up the sound or something?:eek:

Now they recommend this BS about speaker break - in?

What's next? Aperion cables improve sound quality? :eek:

They are full of it. I just cannot wholeheartedly recommend Aperion anymore. :D
Well, to be fair, they're not saying you can't judge their speakers without 100 or 1000 hours of play-in. That's a ploy some companies use to discourage quick returns. And lots of people have strong opinions about the "sound" of different amplifiers and receivers. I'm not one of them, but I don't think it means they're goofy or dishonest. But--bottom line--unless someone can find a mathematical error in the Audioholics essay on break-in, there really doesn't seem to be any case for it.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Aperion just sent me an email that states:

"3) Speaker Break-In. Your speakers should sound great right out of the box. But once they’ve been played for 50 100 hours (doesn’t matter what kind of music you use) they will start to sound more natural and balanced. This is known as break-in and is completely normal."

I do not believe in this at all, that is a Myth as many that have hundreds of years in the business will tell you that speaker break-in is not required.

My quote is "They are how they sound" -- if you like them, keep them, if not buy another speaker. The sound is not going to change after 50 or 100 hrs. at all, no way Jose! :D
I just eat the fish, and spit out the bones.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
Listener acclamation is a huge part of it, I think. What we know to be "right" is what we are used to listening to (assuming you're not listening to something that has major glarin problems, I guess).

S

SunnyD

Audioholic Intern
That is the second time Aperion has given false information IMO that I can recall.

The first time, I recall Aperion told someone that his Yamaha AVR (which I recall was highly rated w/ awesome measurements) wasn't GOOD enough! They recommended a different AVR - as if that would sweeten up the sound or something?:eek:
I rolled my eyes when I received that "speaker break in" email crap from them. Now you state they said a Yamaha AVR isn't good enough? not looking well and i didn't even get em yet. Who from Aperion said that. And what was the model of the AVR?

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpp View Post
That is how I feel....can you hear the change?
nope, nada

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I rolled my eyes when I received that "speaker break in" email crap from them. Now you state they said a Yamaha AVR isn't good enough? not looking well and i didn't even get em yet. Who from Aperion said that. And what was the model of the AVR?
Well, before I say anything else, I want to remind myself that everyone is different. Nuance was not impressed at all with the VGT, but other people may like them a lot.

I can't recall the exact model of the Yamaha, but if I have to guess:D, I would say RX-A800 or 1000. I believe all these AVR will sound the same in most conditions. They all measure great.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Well, before I say anything else, I want to remind myself that everyone is different. Nuance was not impressed at all with the VGT, but other people may like them a lot.

I can't recall the exact model of the Yamaha, but if I have to guess:D, I would say RX-A800 or 1000. I believe all these AVR will sound the same in most conditions. They all measure great.
I used to swear by measurements exclaiming if they measure well they'll sound good. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case in real world applications. Listen before you buy, or at least take advantage of the 30-day in-home trial of ID/the weekend audition from B&M shops. You just can't go wrong using that method.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used to swear by measurements exclaiming if they measure well they'll sound good. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case in real world applications. Listen before you buy, or at least take advantage of the 30-day in-home trial of ID/the weekend audition from B&M shops. You just can't go wrong using that method.
I feel the same, as I'm sure many of us do.

All I can say is, we must have slightly different taste or something.

I think GranteedEV, InTheIndustry, another friend of mind (who also built his own speakers), and I have never liked the sound of Paradigm, even though they measure really well.

But it appears that most Audioholics members love Paradigm.

Speakers that measure well don't always sound good, and speakers that measure poorly don't always sound bad. :D

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
I feel the same, as I'm sure many of us do.

All I can say is, we must have slightly different taste or something.

I think GranteedEV, InTheIndustry, another friend of mind (who also built his own speakers), and I have never liked the sound of Paradigm, even though they measure really well.

But it appears that most Audioholics members love Paradigm.

Speakers that measure well don't always sound good, and speakers that measure poorly don't always sound bad. :D
I don't know man - based on what I've read we probably have very similar taste. :) I too don't much care for Paradigm, but that's only because I have a "sickness" (as my wife calls it) and have heard way too many speakers. I used to think Paradigm was great, but now that I know what's all available for less money I don't much care for them anymore. Plus they raised their prices, so they aren't the "value" people claim they are. Well, that's just my opinion, of course.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Agreed...there are SO many factors, a lot of which can not be explained in the general measurements we often see.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If a speaker does not have strong resolution - good detail, definition and depth.
And, if it does not move me or draw me in - then forget it. I appreciate, and take
note of measurements - I do not listen to measurements.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Agreed...there are SO many factors, a lot of which can not be explained in the general measurements we often see.
Such as what else do you want to measure that would help you?

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
When you throw some serious power into a speaker it should HOLD UP all the details that you were hearing at the 65-75dB level, not FOLD up and Acoustically couple all the drivers together losing and smearing all the details, and get Congested and/or Distorted at 105dB+. The low freqs should not get lumpy/bumby they should stay tight, quick, and accurate... and the highs should still Zing/Sing like the Triangles, w/ the Ride Cymbals and the Crash Cymbal should be pronouced/precise/accurate and present at low and/or high SPL levels. A great speaker will Hold all the separate instruments with finite precision at low or high SPL levels, and if it can not do that -- no good then.

For sure, you need to break them in -- "Our tennis shoes that is"!!

After an hour or two, a speaker is what it is and nothing else -- it is not going to change and get better the longer it plays... no way, only unless your throwing some RUM into the mix -- then the PyschoAcoustics Brain Gain or LOSS which most likely will occur, and you will hear something different!

All speakers seem to sound better after some of your choice Mixers, and we hear different things then?

Last edited:
C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
Such as what else do you want to measure that would help you?
Help me? I think I would first need a better understanding of all aspects of speaker design first.

I have heard the same exact speaker with pretty much the same FR on and off-axis, but with the crossover done by two different people...and the two speakers sounded very different. If I recall correctly, the main difference was the crossover point from woof to tweeter.

That is one of the reasons I asked you if you were going to compare the Aperions directly with anything else on your list.

C

cschang

Audioholic Chief
When you throw some serious power into a speaker it should HOLD UP all the details that you were hearing at the 65-75dB level, not FOLD up and Acoustically couple all the drivers together losing and smearing all the details, and get Congested and/or Distorted at 105dB+. The low freqs should not get lumpy/bumby they should stay tight, quick, and accurate... and the highs should still Zing/Sing like the Triangles, w/ the Ride Cymbals and the Crash Cymbal should be pronouced/precise/accurate and present at low and/or high SPL levels. A great speaker will Hold all the separate instruments with finite precision at low or high SPL levels, and if it can not do that -- no good then.
Completely agree.

But one thing to keep in mind, at those high SPLs, the ear and mind have a rough time picking out all those details/nuances if it can at all.

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai
DenPureSound, have you received your speakers yet? Thoughts? Are they as good as the reviews, or was it all hype?

I have to put speaker buying on hold for the time being?

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
DenPureSound, have you received your speakers yet? Thoughts? Are they as good as the reviews, or was it all hype?

I have to put speaker buying on hold for the time being?
Still auditioning them here... trying to get the most out of them, but not sure if they will cut the mustard as I have to get more out of them per my wife, she is the Acoustical Engr. and I have to keep her Happy also, as I just push buttons and move the heavy boxes around, LOL. :D

Should have a better feeling next week or so. Stay tuned.

All should sound better with Mixin' Misery and some Gin... Love Your Quote.. Great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis