Aperion Audio Verus Grand Loudspeaker System Reviewed

F

farrow099

Audioholic Intern
I ended up purchasing four verus grand bookshelf speakers and the verus grand center. I must say that the four bookshelf models work really excellent for surround sound. They offer stellar imaging, last night I was watching an idiot abroad and they had Karl on the trans siberian railway. The railway sound absolutely filled the room; My girlfriend got home half way in and thought someone was knocking on the door or something because it sounded so very real!

The grand center is also excellent. Very smooth, very detailed. I owned the Klipsch RC-64 (version 1 with the 1.25" compression driver) for about a year and I personally think this center sounds better than that. (and every other center channel i've ever owned)

I have to disagree with audioholics on the rounded design though. I found it rather irritating to place this thing properly using its little door stopper type rubber feet. (which are the only things keeping the bottom from being scratched up) Sure, it looks nice... But it isn't very practical. Aside from that little qualm, it really is an excellent loudspeaker.

With my previous setup being the EMP's I had been listening to music in stereo only as the center and surround really didn't sound as good as the e55ti tower. However, I now prefer to use upmixing (thx neural being my personal preference). The center just sounds so nice handling music vocals as well!

The stellar imaging is also great for gaming. I hear a sound off to the rear left, turn to fire, and the enemy is exactly where I thought!

With the EMP's I would often hear a sound, turn to fire, and find that the enemy was not where I thought!

Anyway, I just wanted to post a 3rd party opinion on these speakers.

Last edited:
F

Fowl

Audioholic
Thank you Farrow fot your posts as I am currently moving from E55Ti and E5Ci to a pair of VGT's and a VGC.

R

raynist

Junior Audioholic
Thank you Farrow fot your posts as I am currently moving from E55Ti and E5Ci to a pair of VGT's and a VGC.
Please post your thoughts as I am looking at the E55TI (and Center) and the VGT's (and center). I know they are totally different price classes, but I was originally looking at the VGT's until I read some reviews of the E55TI's.

How is the EMP center?

Thanks
Ray Nist

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
This speaker received a 5/5 for treble smoothness and midrange accuracy? Really? :rolleyes: LOL, okay then...

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Aperion Verus Grand Towers

Are these my new "DREAM SPEAKERS" to replace my Klipsch RF-82II's Front Mains?

I have been reading up on these and many other Mfg's. but find nothing that can come close to the Verus Grand Towers for $1800 delivered, and they must be darn confident as they have a full return shipping policy if you do not like them!!

The KEF R900's are around $3600 a pair, and both weigh in at 65#'s each per speaker.

What are others saying about the Verus Grand Towers?

Have not read anything negative about them, as long as you have some good front end gear. My Denon 4311/EMO XPA-5 should be a great front end for them, and per my calcs I should be able to get around 110dB out of them, not that I will play them that loud... :):eek:

Just curious what others are saying about there experience with the Verus Grand Towers from Aperion?

Cheers,
Den

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They appear to be very accurate speakers, so they should reproduce a lot more detail than your Klipsch.

The only thing you do not like about your Klipsch is the lack of resolution/details.

First, listen to the R900 long and hard.

Then listen to the Grand Verus long and hard for the 30 day trial.

Then you will know if they are your dream speakers. They could very well be.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
This speaker received a 5/5 for treble smoothness and midrange accuracy? Really? :rolleyes: LOL, okay then...
Why not?

Their FR certainly measures like it.

I also believe that measurements alone won't tell us the whole story.

Have you auditioned them and did not like their sound?

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Fowl, you certainly are moving up the chain in Sound Quality, Accuracy, Detail, and Imaging.

Have you got your VGT's there yet?

Let me know when you get them, and what you think of them. I am thinking along the same lines, replacing my Klipsch Fronts with VGT's which are excellent in Accuracy, Detail, and all the buzz words they all throw out there.

Keep us posted.

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Why not?

Their FR certainly measures like it.

I also believe that measurements alone won't tell us the whole story.

Have you auditioned them and did not like their sound?
Yes sir, I did, though admittedly it wasn't in my own system, so I guess you could say it's moot. Nonetheless, their midrange detail and accuracy was average IMO. I wouldn't expect anything otherwise at this price point, though. What I wonder is, does the midrange accuracy test take into account price, or does it just get a rating no matter how low or high the price is? Audioholics has reviewed a few other speakers that I've heard that have a much more accurate midrange but yet scored lower in this category. It just struck me as odd, that's all. To each their own, right? :)

I also agree measurements don't tell the whole story. Like I always say, use measurements to help weed out the "losers," and then listen to the remaining "winners" to make the final choice. Of course, I think I'd be happy with any of your speakers, ADTG. I'm so jealous! :D

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Measurements are like chapters. Two or three chapters won't tell the whole story. But that doesn't mean 20 chapters can't. ;)
Measurements are like all the reviewers writeups -- if they measure well, then in almost all cases the reviews are excellent also.

This seems to be the case with the Aperion Audio Verus Grand Towers -- very little, if any, negative reviews, and their measurements are excellent as well.

So again, what is the problems with the Aperion Verus Grand Towers?

Oh, maybe it is the 10yr. Warranty, heck KEF is only 5yrs. at twice the price, and no 30 day trial with KEF, like Salk, etc. You buy them you own them.

In fact, Aperion has done a one up on Emotiva, they pay S/H back if you do not like them!! How can that be beat?

I bet they get less than 3% back, and they have that figured into their Profit algorithm as well.

Some reviews:

Aperion Audio Verus Grand Tower Loudspeakers

Aperion Audio Verus Grand Tower Loudspeaker A practical perspective on a a true overachiever. Review By Alfred R. Fredel

Aperion Audio Verus Grand Tower Speakers Reviewed

AFTER READING ALL THOSE... I AM STILL LOOKING FOR SOMETHING "NEGATIVE" ABOUT THEM?? :cool:

CHIME IN ALL..:)

N

Nuance AH

Audioholic General
Measurements are like chapters. Two or three chapters won't tell the whole story. But that doesn't mean 20 chapters can't. ;)
So true my friend. Speaking of chapters, I haven't yet made it through Toole's book (I'm getting there), but that's definitely a piece of literature that helps tell the "measurements story."

Measurements are like all the reviewers writeups -- if they measure well, then in almost all cases the reviews are excellent also.

This seems to be the case with the Aperion Audio Verus Grand Towers -- very little, if any, negative reviews, and their measurements are excellent as well.

So again, what is the problems with the Aperion Verus Grand Towers?

AFTER READING ALL THOSE... I AM STILL LOOKING FOR SOMETHING "NEGATIVE" ABOUT THEM?? :cool:

CHIME IN ALL..:)
I completely agree that in theory they "should" sound good if they measure well. I wish I could say this was my experience, but it isn't, though in only a few instances. In my experience, once a few important attributes are achieved (on and off-axis FR, power handling, linearity, etc) the drivers, crossover and build quality become more influential. Many of us know how well the Infinite Primus 360 measured, but I didn't much care for the timbre accuracy/tone of that speaker. It represents a standard for value in loud speakers, but I'd never buy it because it doesn't suit my tastes.

I don't really have anything negative to say about the Aperion's other than the "slow and fat" bass and lack of resolution and timbre in some areas. Microdetails could be improved too, but now I'm just nitpicking. :)

So you ask what is the main problem with the Aperion's? Well, they aren't better than my Salk's. If they were, I'd own them. :D:p

Although, now comparing measurements in-room it seems the Salk's exhibited the traditional smiley face FR in said room, while the Aperion's were flatter through the midrange. Did Tom's room or placement change between these reviews? Just curious.

Last edited:
S

SunnyD

Audioholic Intern
I AM STILL LOOKING FOR SOMETHING "NEGATIVE" ABOUT THEM?? :cool:
I'm in the same boat..I'm very meticulous and frugal when it comes to my money. And i cant find anything bad, except mix views on a tad lack of low end, but thats what a sub is for. Price to performance looks outstanding. Anything higher in price for me is diminishing returns. Unless I see something crazy Monday from another manufacturer, 3100 is out the door.

GranteedEV

GranteedEV

Audioholic Ninja
I wonder if Aperion would be willing to provide some 45-70 degree off axis response measurements.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes sir, I did, though admittedly it wasn't in my own system, so I guess you could say it's moot. Nonetheless, their midrange detail and accuracy was average IMO.
I think it's a valid and fair point. I think if you didn't like them in another system, you may not like them in your system either. We may all like different speakers.:D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I wonder if Aperion would be willing to provide some 45-70 degree off axis response measurements.
I wonder why they did not in the first place?

I assume they don't believe it's important to show the 45 degrees off-axis?

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
Interesting you ask, and I will do you one better ... I asked them this AM for the VGT's:

1.) Off Axis Plots, along with the Listening Window (5 Pt.)

2.) Distortion THD+N vs. Freq.

3.) Impedance along with Phase on One Plot

Xover data is at 375Hz. (1st order), and 1.8kHz. (2nd order).

Three separate PCB's for Xover ccts. -- the Enclosure is HDF, not MDF which is High Density Fiberboard.

The front baffle is not 3/4", but 1"+ thick, and they state the VGT are good up to around 107-8 dB before distortion/breakup occurs.

More data is supposed to be coming soon.

DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
I'm in the same boat..I'm very meticulous and frugal when it comes to my money. And i cant find anything bad, except mix views on a tad lack of low end, but thats what a sub is for. Price to performance looks outstanding. Anything higher in price for me is diminishing returns. Unless I see something crazy Monday from another manufacturer, 3100 is out the door.
Aperion has no Cherry returns, called their Open boxes. For the pair = $1798 delivered, and if you do not like them, they pay the return shipping via Fed-X.

They have less than a couple % that even return them!

The only Negative I have read after many reviews is this from HTM,

"While the Performance was good -- OK BETTER THAN GOOD -- there was a bit of low end detail and control that was absent and the high freq. seemed to lack a bit of extension and air, two things that are not uncommon with the budget oriented loudspeakers."

On the other side is -- Enjoythemusic Excellent writeup, and GoodSound from SoundStage Network writeup says the same... and it was awarded the POY 2010 at AH by Tom and Gene.

If the Sound Quality is as good as all the writeup/reviews say, and as good as the Finish on the speakers, then they all find a home, and if not Aperion pays the freight back. Really, the way all mfg's. should be, but then again we all might be Auditioning new speakers with a significantly higher frequency, supporting our UpGRADITIS -- like ADTG. :):eek:

Looks as though Toms FR plot in room was measured at 60dB (Maybe his neighbors have complained), when the Sensitivity is at 92dB and that is where the Aperion FR plot was measured at. Is that Floor bounce at 175hz. on Toms FR plot, or is that showing a major drop due to Xover at 175hz. from woofers to midrange drivers? I believe it to be Tom's rooms acoustics, as that is not present in Aperions FR plot!

Last edited:
DenPureSound

DenPureSound

Senior Audioholic
So true my friend. Speaking of chapters, I haven't yet made it through Toole's book (I'm getting there), but that's definitely a piece of literature that helps tell the "measurements story."

I completely agree that in theory they "should" sound good if they measure well. I wish I could say this was my experience, but it isn't, though in only a few instances. In my experience, once a few important attributes are achieved (on and off-axis FR, power handling, linearity, etc) the drivers, crossover and build quality become more influential. Many of us know how well the Infinite Primus 360 measured, but I didn't much care for the timbre accuracy/tone of that speaker. It represents a standard for value in loud speakers, but I'd never buy it because it doesn't suit my tastes.

I don't really have anything negative to say about the Aperion's other than the "slow and fat" bass and lack of resolution and timbre in some areas. Microdetails could be improved too, but now I'm just nitpicking. :)

So you ask what is the main problem with the Aperion's? Well, they aren't better than my Salk's. If they were, I'd own them. :D:p

Although, now comparing measurements in-room it seems the Salk's exhibited the traditional smiley face FR in said room, while the Aperion's were flatter through the midrange. Did Tom's room or placement change between these reviews? Just curious.
I also am working my way thru Dr. O' Tooles excellent book. Totally agree, as my experience has been that even if the measurements are "Kansas Flat" as Aperion states, there is that other major factor that ADTG and I have discussed time again over and over -- The PsychoAcoustic response of how ones EARS/Brain interprets the overall Sound quality in a given room.

For whatever reason, I do not have a great taste for the signature of the Infinities, as I have owned four / five different models of them, and to me they are way to Laid Back, not wide/deep enough for me, and don't support the dynamics that I want in my Front Main Dream Speakers.

I know many Salk owners, and the ST's plus the HT2-TL's are phenomenal speakers (DM Xover design on the ST's), and most all keep their Salks and LOVE them also. To me, it is amazing with a D'Appolito MTM design solely w/o a woofer or two that they produce clean tight low end, but that most likely is the ML-TL design of the enclosure w/ tuning vs. the Bass Reflex Ported design. Most have said that once hearing the ML-TL designs they won't go back to Bass Reflex ports. Very interesting. Looks like the Saddle on the ST's is down around 35hz. also off the impedance plot.

The only problem I see with the Salk ST's or HT2-TL's or Phil 2/3's or Kef R900 is once I buy them I own them, vs. the VGT if I do not like the Sonic Signature of them even if they do measure FLAT I have the option of sending them back. Very hard to beat that deal to me.

What do you see wrong with being Flatter thru the mid-range where approx. 80% of the musical content is at?

For the bottom end, I will Xover my dual subs at 70-80hz. to pick up that slack if the VGT shows that characteristic, but their F3 is sitting around 35hz.

That must be Floor Bounce/and/or Room Acoustics on Toms FR Plot showing the dropout at around 175hz. or so, hopefully that is not the Xover but I doubt it as the Aperion FR Plot does not show that dropout.

And for Grant, there is Tom's plot where he shows the FR at 30 Deg. but not 45-70 off axis.

Last edited:
A

alphaiii

Audioholic General
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis